trimming canna

Vandalia, IL

I am starting my cannas indoors,, and as I trimming,I see small pockets of a sap like stuff..Is this normal,,is this a virius? Is trimming nessassary? They sure look healthy! Any comments are welcome...AND if there are any more co-ops ,,I would like to be included.. I joined last week,,so its taking alittle to get used to moving around here! Thanks- Dee

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Dee,
Welcome to DG Canna Forum!
The sap is not virus, just part of the nature of this plant.
When planting rhizomes, I usually trim the dead parts and leave the healthy, being careful no to cut into the healthy, but just outside it.
Though unless huge dead or rotted sections, it is not necessary.
Alice

Vandalia, IL

Thank-you for the reply, and thanks for the welcome! Dee

Louisville, KY

I use a open flame to clean off any tool I am using when trimming cannas or other plants. This will help keep it sterile and keep virus from spreading.

Vandalia, IL

Would a bleach water dip work also? I could see me with a torch !@##$$%...I had been cutting into the white part,,but I will stop now..I hear their pretty tuff.. I have ordered alot of different colors,and they should be coming soon...I am starting them indoors,,this year...I do want to be careful,,the ones coming I had to pay for .Is it common to start these indoors? Always seems like the frost comes too soon! Dee

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

i use clorox wipes. I put a couple in a baggy and keep them with me as i move around the garden or greenhouse. if they're not worn out by the end of the day, i drop them in my clorox bucket for reuse.

Vandalia, IL

Thank you,,thats a good idea,,and safer for me,,, Dee

Louisville, KY

I am not sure on the results on bleach water working well. It seems it does work some of the time. I am not 100% sure how well yet. If you are going to dry bleach water use multiple knifes to keep one soaking in the solution longer. Also the solution will be diluted after one day of use and would have to be remade unless sealed up.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

If there is no virus present to spread, you will not have to worry about it spreading.
I do not use tools to break my rhizomes. It is always done with the hand.

Vandalia, IL

Hello all, to the best of my knogweldge,,I didnt even know there were vuirius,,leaf rollers are my big problem, I just cut off damaged leaf and burn it..it probally would be a good Idea if I would start cleaning my tools,,makes sence.This is the first year I ve started them indoors..Ive got some knee high,,probally started them to soon,,we'll see..I hopeing to take some to our local farmers market,,and sell each pot (milk carton) for a buck or two! In the next couple days Ive got some cannas that will be delivered.. Since I paid for these,,Ill probally have everything go wrong under the sky! My first cannas were given to me by a neighbor,,in a 5- gal. bucket,,I should have shot him!! Not really! Thanks for all the great input..im learning!! slow but sure..Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.