How to test and adjust PH

Louisville, KY

I have been doing some research on testing water for PH and other problems. I would like to hear more on how people are testing and what they are testing for. I would also like to know how they are calculating and what they are using to adjust their water. Thanks.

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

I used a PH and PPM pen for testing my hydro nutrients and water. The PH i try to keep around
6.5 and the PPM is the nutrient strength which varies from plants to plants. Peppers i have run as
high as 2800ppm and tomatoes around 1500pmm.

with my tap water i have a ph reading of like 7.4 and ppm of 350 which is from the minerals in the
water. mostly Calcium / Lime here .. so i do some slight adjusting on the nutrients to compensate
for the for calcium.

The ph i just use a bottle of Ph Down from the hydroponic store

I used the General Hydroponics Flora Series nutrients and adjust my water ph down to 6.3 and then add my nutrients , micro first , stir , then grow or bloom next .. stirring well for each one.

New Iberia, LA

bwilliams
I have read what VbSparky does and it is exactly what I do. Even his water and mineral contend are nearly the same as mine. The only thing different is that I buy phosphoric acid to bring down my ph and only because I can get it cheaper locally.
Ph will always rise as water is replenished in the system unless your supply water already has a lower PH.
I am not sure about your question on calculating. Can you be more specific?
Oldude

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

How do you folks test the ppm? The hydro store I frequent has a tester for about $200. Is there a more affordable solution? Thanks.

New Iberia, LA

I use the Bluelab Truncheon Meter. There may be a better meter on the market but the Truncheon works for me.
Oldude

http://www.hydro-gardens.com/monitor.htm#Truncheon

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8b)

I bought a Milwaukee Instruments - SMART pH/EC/TDS COMBINED METER on ebay. It is a combo pH and PPM meter. I have seen some nice ones listed their, and it is much cheaper than retail.

I keep my pH between 5.5 - 6.5. When I am starting with a fresh new container of water, I add the nutrient before testing pH because the nutrient causes a slight change in the pH. I aim to get the pH closer 5.5, because my pH always goes up after each day of use. When it gets to about 6.4, I adjust it back down again. I also use RO water, and my starting pH is usually around 6.4 (and PPM is 0).

I use General Hydroponics pH up and pH down solution which I bought at a local hydroponics store (Texas Hydroponics). It was pretty inexpensive, and it only takes a very small amount to adjust the pH. The big bottles I got will last a long time.

http://www.texashydroponics.com/shop/home.php?cat=391

Jacksonville, FL

Quote from VbSparky :
I used a PH and PPM pen for testing my hydro nutrients and water. The PH i try to keep around
6.5 and the PPM is the nutrient strength which varies from plants to plants. Peppers i have run as
high as 2800ppm and tomatoes around 1500pmm.

with my tap water i have a ph reading of like 7.4 and ppm of 350 which is from the minerals in the
water. mostly Calcium / Lime here .. so i do some slight adjusting on the nutrients to compensate
for the for calcium.

The ph i just use a bottle of Ph Down from the hydroponic store

I used the General Hydroponics Flora Series nutrients and adjust my water ph down to 6.3 and then add my nutrients , micro first , stir , then grow or bloom next .. stirring well for each one.

Hi,I'm new to the forum and hydroponics.

Is the Flora you use the same as 'Substra Flores,A and B'? We just bought this at hydro store.

We will be growing in a lean to greenhouse.it gets hot quick here in Fl. so we are also looking to buy a automatici vent opener.And timers.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013 2:09 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.