Scarlet Runner Beans "Magic Beans"

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I've got a few packages of Scarlet Runner also known as "Magic Beans" related to the story about "Jack and the Beanstalk". They're an edible black bean similar to Limas that make a really great black bean soup. Said to have been brought to northeast states from England by British troops during the American Revolution in 1770's.

They are very tall runners with beautiful decorative red flowers, a must have for your hummingbird garden. It's also a great plant for a childrens garden. An easy seed saver for future swaps and trades. Please check my tradelist and plant files for better description.

I have packs of 10 seeds available free (for postage). I have to require a small bubby envelope because the seeds are fairly thick and won't mail flat without damage.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2009 12:08 PM

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

The orange-red flowers are very striking and the purple/brown seeds are sort of cool looking. This plant is a butterfly larvae host and they will eat all the leaves or curl themselves up in one. I grew some last year.

Fort Collins, CO

I wish I would have seen your generous offer before I purchased mine lycodad. Thanks for the info LiliMerci! This is my first time growing them and I am excited to see those pretty blooms!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I haven't had much problem with mine, but they are do attract hummers and butterflies. Thanks for the input.

Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.