Should I do anything for this split in bark?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Just noticed this on my favorite Ginkgo, 'Ross Moore' and was wondering if I need to do anything to help it mend?

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Another view...

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

There really isn't anything you can do as far as I know. Do you see any signs of healing, like a callous forming at the edges underneath the loose bark? The split looks clean with no sign of fungus or rot setting in. My guess is that it will heal up OK over time. I've never had a Ginkgo do that, but I'm watching a JM 'Veridis', and a JM 'Shirazz' heal up. Both split just above the graft, which tells you something. I just had a Malus Sargentii 'Tina' finally close up a bark split after three years. This one was a bash from improper handling in the nursery.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks snapple. After closer inspection, it does look like the edges are healed. I wonder if it grew too fast. It was a mere 12" 4 years ago and now it's at 11'.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I remember your shots of that tree. I see that you don't have it staked any more. The growing too fast theroy is probably correct, especially if it was kept well watered.

Danville, IN

Wow! A ginko growing 10' in only four years must be some sort of record! How many varieties do you have now?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I think I'm at 26. Always hunting for new ones.

Anyone know a source for 'Beijing Gold' or 'California Sunset'?

This message was edited Feb 21, 2009 8:44 PM

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't see how it growing fast could cause a split. The wood that is now exposed is dead, even before it split, and it does not expand with tree growth. This is normal. It is only the outer parts of a stem that is living.

You in Ohio are probably past the time, but here in MN it is still prime time for frost cracking on tree trunks. Next season, and until the crack heals completely, you will want to either wrap the trunk or shade it in some way, like with some 4 inch plastic corrugated tiling split lengthwise to fit around the trunk. Do this from the end of Nov to mid March. Otherwise, the crack might grow larger over the winter again.
Rick

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

If it's beginning to heal and roll in with a callous wouldn't the split have happend prior to the last growing season? I think if it split this winter there would be no sign yet of any callous formation.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.