Need ideas

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This part of the garden is Part shade to shade.
Between the spruce trees is where we store our firewood for the winter.
We generally stack (1 facecord)the wood late in the season October, and use all the firewood by the end of March.
I have an idea to plant Hostas in the area because they would be dorment when we stack and emerge in spring after the pile is gone and foot traffic is over.
My question is : Are there any other plants that would go in this area besides Hostas?
The graph area is the space for the garden, the woodpile does not take up the whole area which is 11x7.
the dark sections at the botom of the graph are bluestone sidewalk thats why I would like to make it visually attractive.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is a pic of the area you can see the woodpile upper right,with the garden waiting for plants.
Thats the space I want to fill.There will be a BigDaddy and two Frances williams off the picture.
Sorry there arent any photos of the whole space head on.
This just illustrates how little space the wood takes.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Well it is a little hard to tell the space exactly but I think that I would use some of the nice stone to make a path to and along the front of the wood pile, then you can plant what ever you want without worrying about packing down the soil over even dormant plants. Maybe even make a rustic bench to replace the wood pile in the nice weather to sit and admire all your efforts. Bleeding heart, ferns and astilbe would be nice choices to go with the hosta I think either way.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That is good advise.
I should have included a "Please correct me if this idea isnt workable."
If you say walking on dorment plants is a bad idea I will configur the garden so there is a path to the woodpile.
I was planning to place containers of caladiums in the area this summer.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was going to suggest the same thing that you not walk on dormant plants...but if you want to Ajuga can be walked on.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Why not lay down some 4X4's and put the wood on it? Then you would be able to plant right under the middle of the pile.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2009 5:15 PM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The wood pile is on other pieces of wood and I didnt plan to plant anything under it because there might be a year when we dont use all the wood.
I think I will take ngam's advise and leave a path to the wood and transplant the hostas growing in the area where we tok out the spruce further down the line.
There is always the "annuals" solution.
I appreciate the "dont walk on dorment plants" advise.
Good grief I hope I havnt ruined the yards of spreading lamiums tee hee. I will have to take out a lot of them and transplant this year.
The lams. did their job and covered new garden area last year but now I want to put plants where they have spread.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

ge i think the path is the way to go - it will look good too

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

YEP!!!!! I agree with the path and I have to transplant a few Hosta to the spot and bought heucheras for the edge of the path and stone walk.
Moochow thanks to everyone who waded in on this.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

RAAAATS
Look what SIL is doing.
I thought wood was over for the season. Guess the big hostas are going to hide the pile.
The path is marked in purple. Everything else is garden
Good thing the path is 3feet wide.

Thumbnail by ge1836

She's mooning us!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its a HE.
My son in law Cal.
Who else would come home on his lunch hour and stack wood so we can fires on the weekend.
Since we have been without a cook top ,he got so frustrated at not having boiled potatoes he got out his camp stove.
Very resoursefull.

Sorry - thought meant sister in law. See why I hate those abbreviations?!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats what I figured,

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

he's mooning us! :) and does he know you have is best side up on line?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

He is a shy guy and would be mortified if he knew.
It was so cold on the deck when I took the shot or I would have waited for him to move out of the way.
I doubt this will ever get back to him.

I'm telling!

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

The path idea is great. You might want to mingle in some spring-blooming bulbs too, if there is sun there in early spring. Crocus and snowdrops will be especially welcome on those cold late-winter/early-spring walks to get more wood!

I thought it was your sister-in-law too.... :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sorry Digger not enough sun at this time of year for snow drops and yet ten feet away they are doing great. I just plantes a dozen bulba last year and all came up.Hoping for a spread in the next few years.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

JoAnn
The picture is already printed and in the mail!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

You loose!!!! I get the mail .lol

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

heehee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.