Corrective pruning & Breaking dormancy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I've got two questions for you experienced Clematis growers, and I don't see the answers in FAQs.

1) I am the new caregiver for a garden with a fair number of large flowered (unnamed) clematis which have been in the ground for several years, but generally only have one or two stalks. Should I cut them down all the way this year (which I understand should be done the first year stuff is planted in order to trigger multiple shoots) to try to get them to re-establish with more basal shoots?

2) I received several clematis from Chalk Hill LATE in the fall and wasn't able to plant them. They have been in the cold garage, peacefully dormant, until the last week, when some have begun to send out long, pale (where's my light????) shoots. What should I do? They are clearly breaking dormancy way too early.

All counsel is welcome. Thanks so very much.

Delaware, OH

1. don't prune the established clems yet. wait until they start to grow. go ahead then and cut off any vines that are not growing or are obviously damaged. once they start to grow, fertilize regularily until they start to bud up.
identify the type if possible after they bloom. good guilde line is to prune lightly after main bloom period. if the clem is a early bloomer(blooms on old wood from last year) you can't give it the spring whack back without losing some or all of this seasons blooms.
if it blooms later in the year(ususally blooming on this years vines) then you can clean it more agressively next spring.

so wait. if you whack back now you will miss the learning curve that comes from spring which will help you identify them and ensure you get the blooms this year.

2. make sure you are watering the clems in the garage and that they are getting some light. if they are still in the chalk hill pots, i would up-pot them in the garage now, keeping water and light good. prune them back to half the growth visible when you up-pot them. in your zone plant out after may 15. follow the chalk hill planting directions, making sure to establish the soil line about an inch or more over the current soil line. this will encourage new shoots from the base. by doing this you will be getting a major head start.
as soon as weather is in the 40's in the daytime, move them outside during the day and inside at night in the new pots. you will have a big head start this way and if you don't get them into the ground till june, no harm done.
when you do plant them outside after may 15, again cut back at least half the growth form the plant at that time.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Niobe: Thank you a thousand times!!!! I'm going downstairs to pot now (do you know how utterly thrilled you have made me to get to go do dirt work?!)! Iill hold off on the pruning til things start to grow.

Delaware, OH

my pleasure. enjoy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.