Does anyone have to trade....

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Any of the species bearded: aphylla, illyrica, plicata, variegata, reginae, rudskyi, pumila (dark purple), reichenbachii.

I do belong to SIGNA, and have quite a few seeds, but would like to trade for plants if available.

I have tons of beardless iris I can trade, some bearded medians, or other plants.

Iris Colorado used to sell them, but quit the year before I contacted him. If anyone knows of a source for species bearded I would be grateful.

Thank you,

Polly

Lebanon, OR

Polly I will check with a couple of sources one might be Will Plotner of Wildwood as is Pres of Signa still I think

I will also check with a friend that does alot of species iris.

D

South Hamilton, MA

We have different aphylla & pumilas. It will take bloom time to see what we have & our spaces in the garden. Pumila 'Suslik' is a fantastic grower, but produces only purple when used in breeding.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you Dee.

Lucy, do you have any of the straight species pumila? I do have Suslik. I would love some aphyllas. Could you let me know at bloom time what you have?

Very much appreciated Dee and Lucy!

South Hamilton, MA

Pollyk I read the d-mail first. Suslik is a straight species--glad you have it. It came from SIGNA seed in 1989. We do have seedlings which are from that batch. Will have to check to see how Lesser Goldfinch is doing which is Lowell Baumunk's. It like Suslik came from the Caucasus. We have lost our real oldies which seem to peter out after awhile. Suslik was registered as species rather than MDB because it sure doesn't look like one, but like the species it is. Got an AM which we didn't expect, not thinking that pumila would grow in enough places to be seen.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lucy,

Yes I know Suslik is a straight species. I love it. I didn't know it was your husbands into, great job, great iris! I'm not sure where I got it, Winterberry, maybe?

I would love lesser Goldfinch if you have a piece of that available. '

Thank you.

South Hamilton, MA

We will see about Lesser goldfinch--lost it once, but got a better piece the 2nd time. Won't it be nice for all the snow to melt, ground to thaw & we can SEE what is in the garden. 'Suslik' was named after a rapidly increasing ground squirrel found in a copy of 'Regions of the USSR'. Googled it one time & found a picture of it; big guy.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How interesting to know that. I never even thought there might be a meaning behind the name. Thanks Lucy!

I would get Lesser Goldfinch from Iris Colorado, but it's always sold out. I felt so bad he discontinued selling the species bearded. And it doesn't seem anyone does now, and they are so pretty and unique.

South Hamilton, MA

Will look at d-mail stuff tomorrow, I'm not alert at this time of night.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.