Gardening: Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #30

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

New Thread ... we came from here ==> #29 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/951685/

Thumbnail by Danita
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Thank you. : ) Was gettign rough with the other one but didn't say anythign cuz didn't want to miss out on the fact that today is.....

CRITTER"S BIRTHDAY Yah!!!!!!! : )

Edmond, OK(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday Critter!!!

I also have torenia babies - thanks to Critter. I think I sowed them too thick - lots of them!
Spring is 4 weeks away.......

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

maybe I should be starting mine since you are in the same zone
most of what I have planted from 15 to last week is up even the pansies that take forever everyday more babie it is the only thing that keeps me believing that spring will come or I will be buried in a jungle hahhaha

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow, I checked in here after we got settled in after dinner and found all sorts of wonderful birthday wishes... Thank you!

It's easy to sow those tiny Torenia seeds too thickly... I have a lush carpet of tiny sprouts in my seedling tray for those, LOL... no problem, since I usually grow at least a flat of them; I will clump transplant them. (Mine are separated by color, at least in theory LOL... but if I get a "multicolored plant" because of clump transplanting, that works fine too.)

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

What amazed me about the torenia, is how fast they got huge! All the other tiny seed tend to take their time getting big, but not those guys! This is my first year growing them. I can't wait to see the blooms!

Happy Birthday Critter! Hope it was great!

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Critter!!!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Lea, I thought you may recognize some of your "grand babies" in there! Odd that you've had germination issues with Lion's Tail, these were up in like 2 days.

Got another pot of Golden Clematis germinating today! I've never raised any Clematis from seed, so this is another that has me beaming with pride :-)

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, here's another question from a newbie. Some of the plants in my WS containers are getting quite big and I am wondering when it will be safe to put them in the ground. I understand it's best to leave the lids open/off for a bit before transplanting and I know dates will vary depending on location so I guess it would have to be relative to expected low temps or last expected frost date.

I also know that my poppies need to go in the ground as soon as they have a set of true leaves, so I'm waiting till at least 50% have that. Or should I wait until all of them have the true leaves? I am not sure which is the greater risk, transplanting some before they get true leaves or waiting till they all get the true leaves and risking some being too old.

I also have purple and white hyacinth bean vines and soy beans that are getting big. Plus several varieties of single hollyhocks have lots of leaves.

Any guidance on any these questions or links to other resources will be much appreciated!

(For those of you multi-threaders like myself, you may see this posted in the WS Forum, too. Just trying to reach a larger audience of experienced gardners!)

Tonya

dont forget to aclimatise your plants outside in the shade for a few days then morning sun for a few days and then plant them so go north side first then east then south so they do not all burn from the sun

as far as the poppies can you not plant the ones that are ready and then the others later or are they all in one pot type thing if they are perennials you can put them out anytime in your zone since a bit of cold at night will not hurt them mine stay green all winter in zone 5 with minus 20 F they hard extremely hardy

Thanks scic...

The plants are already outside actually, because they are wintersown, but I think they need some time with their tops open. Since the poppies are thickly sown in the container, I was going to do the recommended HOS (hunk of seedlings) method. Good to know I can go ahead and put them out in the ground!

yes but be very carefull with the roots they are picky and if the root is exposed they tend to die off so plant them late just before dark so they will have time to adjust before daylight and also they the roots will not get sun when you are planting them

Cool scic, that time of day translplanting of the poppies is new to me. Makes a lot of sense.

and it is the better way of doing it in chunks that way you may loose a few but some will make it

I usually grow them in the location I want them by using plastic bells I put the seeds down on wet soil and install the bell till they come up and then I just remove it and forget about them and after a while poof flowers they are easy to grow

That's good to know that they are easy (except for that transplanting part). I may try direct sowing next year. This year I had so many seed varieties and wanted to see what germinated before I committed bed space to them. At this point, I may be making some new beds!

that is always the way I have so many already and I still want to start about 10 more flats but have to wait since no more room for more have to wait till next month when the perennials can sleep in the garage and be out during the day then I will have space for more oh well for now I will just watch them grow

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Carolyn have you been sick too, so many people around her has that awful flu going around!

I've meant to ask you do you have any seeds to those cute little mounding mex. petunias may be in pink? If you don't would you save me some for next year :) I had mine planted around my wisteria and the runners from the darn wisteria took them over! I really miss them :) That wisteria BTW is from you too LOL

I've got to plant my poppies yet I'm waiting on the next snow I'm sure we will have one lol I have so many seeds that I want to pitch this year that I will be covered in snow before I get them all out I just hope it isn't going to be a freezing day lol I have one spot in the field I want to pitch a bunch and the guy that built the storage sheds hasn't filled his dirt up all along this wall but I have news for him he's not going to be able to get in on my side of the wall now and it will have to do it on his side which will make it harder for him but I told him last year he needed to get it done!

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Help DW just noticed mold on the glad bulbs in storage.. Is mild bleach the answer (just before planting)

Tubby

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Tubby, that should fix it :-)

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi guys...is Heavinscent around? I have a question

I have seeds that say Eupatorium cannabinum Joe Pye Weed, I'm wondering if this is it: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2206/ It isn't Joe Pye Weed though.

I'm still digging out from under all these wonderful seeds :))) I've been driving around for weeks with four bags of dirt in my car to get started. I'm finally going to go lug them out and work on gardening today.

no bleach use bulb powder for mold it will also help them root, first wash off the mildew then bowder them let them dry for three or four days and then plant

mona

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Mona,
What a great idea for direct seeding some of those precious seeds that I was worried about. Now I just need to figure out how to keep the pup from playing with the domes. I can fence off that area with a little help, then my littlle helper will stay out. Good to know about the bulbs and the time to transplant too!
Carolyn,
So sorry to hear that you have been feeling bad. I do hope that you are up and filling those planters soon! ^_^
Hoping to get some more containers planted, and ground ready for direct seeding. Still got to get those roses pruned too! Arrrghh!
~wind,
Been missing you!
WIB,
SW

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Has anyone ever wintersowed heuchera (coral bells)?

SW, how is your mother doing?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

LeBug ,Didn,t get to save any seed,s but will be happy to get you some rooted this spring Is the Pink the only one you need ?? Have the purple and also a white Just let me Know Okay.
And yes have been fighting with the flu for 4 weeks now have copd so taking me a little longer lol.
SingingWolf , Sent you a D-mail but am feeling better today may even throw some seeds today.
Thank,s for asking girls, when spring gets here gonna be doing a happy dance while pulling weeds

Carolyn

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Sure Carolyn, I would like a couple of the white that would be great, I lost my white ones a long time ago lol I'll dmail you :)

Seandor I've never WS coral bells before but they should be alright to WS I would think. I'm getting ready to do some under lights here shortly, gonna do some of my caramel I just love this one, what kind are they? If I was WS them I think I would wait until about the first of April here they wouldn't come up until it warms up anyway, they don't take that much room under lights because they are soo slow to grow! They are only in a four inch pot by fall for me.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey there - sorry I missed your birthday Critter! Got all wrapped up with family and "real world" stuff - LOL. Just swung by to see what I was missing (other than Birthdays!!) and try to keep up on all the tips before my brain goes into complete overload. I've got two bid requests from out of the blue, and was NOT prepared to have that added to my plate - yeesh! But, better that than bored! Off to rinse off some planting trays and get more seeds started - waving at everyone! tra la la la la!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

~~~~~ waving back at you! Thanks!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks LeBug . . . . I wish I had waited for your comment. I already did the heuchera and put them outside . . . well, we'll consider it an experiment ^_^

I think mine are going out there soon to since its been three weeks and nothing one more week and they can move out

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

nbgard, Thanks for asking, my Mom (not my Dad's wife Barbara), is recovering here with me. She has another visit on Monday with the Physical Therapist. Has really enjoyed the H.bird rescue and is looking forward to going outside for some sunlight. Our new ramps get built tomorrow, then it'll be a lot easier to get her into the sun.
While I was out in the garden, look at what I found blooming. This is the Sea Pink Armenia I sent to some of you.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Seeds I direct sowed due to my winters, planted in raised planter in H.bird/B.fly garden made an appearance today. I forgot to look and see what kind they are, was too excited! ^_^
My sweet peas are sprouting too! I'd better get to work on the weeding so I'll have someplace to put them!
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SW, glad you're mom is continuing to improve.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

SW, I didn't know you mom was ill.....hope she is OK

LeBug, do you know if your centaurea yellow knapweed seeds are the shorter 18-36" Centaurea orientalis or the taller, 4-6 foot Centaurea macrocephala ? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/831/ I love the seeds, they are so interesting looking. I ws some yesterday :)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

SW, glad to hear things are going better with your Mom, and glad to see ya back!

wind, I enjoyed your article today :-)

I have only 1 Bat face Cuphaea and only 1 Clary sage germinated, and that has been the state they've been in for 3 or 4 days now. That's when I'm unsure when to uncover them- still want any potential germinators to have the humidity, but certainly don't want to loose the one I've got, especially if that's going to be it. Both still kinda small to transplant.

My germination rate seemed kinda low for my Coral Nymph Salvias, have any of you started any of those I sent? I'm sure I sowed at least 25 seeds, and I've only got 6 seedlings. I'm going to sow another pot of those and see what happens.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Wind, it 's this one:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/110419/

You’ll be amazed at how many Fritillary butterflies that you see on that in spring/early summer! It has a pretty long bloom time too!

I liked you article Wind! That Goji plant really sounds interesting you'll have to let us know on that how tasty it is :) If I grew some of those I wonder if the birds would leave it alone lol

Neal, do those coral nymph need light to germinate or should I cover them? I'll go ahead and start mine and see what happens, did you have them on the mat? I'm really looking forward to these I hope I get some :) I don't think I have as many seeds as you I'm gonna have to find them! From what I remember all salvia seeds aren't sown the same way are they?

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Just a note of warning/stupidity here, if you are going to sterilize your dirt in the microwave make sure there aren’t any seed packets stuck to the bottom of your container!

Star, sad news! I just nuked my Ruby pansy seeds from you last year that I had left over :(((

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey guys - At what point do I start feeding my baby seedlings? (the indoor ones - no outdoor ones yet). I don't want to shock them, but don't want them to be undernourished either.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

After they get their first true leaves :) Don't use full strength unless the food is for seedlings even then I still water mine down a bit. If you are using miracle grow I'd use that less than half strength :) Maybe even less than that, they don't need that much at first you just want to grow nice roots :)

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Oh No Lea! I hope you have other Pansies you can start!? : (

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.