Good purple rhododenron

Winston Salem, NC

What's the best purple rhododendron for piedmont NC?

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

probably 'Anah Kruschke'. It has some red color in it as well. But, it is one of the most heat, humidity, sun, tolerant Rhody's around.

Winston Salem, NC

Thank you redchic01

sure thing! although, i was really hoping that other folks from your area would throw in some others suggestions of rhody's that have grown well for them in your area.

So, I am assuming that you are in zone 7? and probably pretty hot and humid during the summer.

These are some others that would come in a close second to Anah Kruschke and are purple.

Blue Peter
Daphnoides
Fastuosum Flore Pleno
Purple Splendour
Blue Jay

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

sawpalm, I would talk to your local Extension office and local nurseries. I know the rhodies that grow wild in the Appalachians are a lavender/purple color and using natives would probably achieve better results in the long run. I'd at least start there! Good luck.

Doug

Winston Salem, NC

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now, I'm going to start looking in the local nurseries. I know the Ext. Agent and that's a good idea too. I'm certainly aware of the Blue Ridge Parkway Rhododendrons ..would be interesting to see what the variety is. Not sure they are natives although they obsiously have taken hold there. I think Rhododendrons are all native to somewhere in Europe. Another fact to check out! There are native azaleas on the parkway which are orange and unbelievable. They bloom before the rhododendrons and the Kalmia.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Blue Peter is an outstanding purple cultivar. It's a prolific bloomer, strong grower and has good shrub form. I cant attest to any sun tolerance because mine is in full shade.

Danville, IN

Rhodendrons are native to many parts of the world, over 900 species, but concentrated in China, Japan, and eastern U.S. There are about a dozen native (N. America) rhododendron species (which now include both rhododendrons and azaleas), but the most common include Rhododendron arborescens (Sweet Azalea), R. calendulaceum (Flame Azalea), and R. catawbiense (Catawba Rhododendron). These are the ones that make such a brilliant show in the Alleghenies and Blue Ridge Mountains.

Your best bet would be the excellent cultivars of the Catawba rhodies as they are the ones that have been extensively bred with the most cultivars, most hardy in zones 4 to 8, and to -15º.

Rich, deep-purple cultivars include 'Anah Kruschke', 'Boursault', 'Lavender Queen', 'Lee's Best Purple', 'Lee's Dark Purple', 'Purple Lace', and 'Purple Splendor'. ('Lee's Dark Purple' will probably be the easiest to find, and very popular.)

Since you live in the Piedmont, your summers probably aren't as hot and humid as along the coast, right? As others have said, check local nurseries to see them in bloom which will help narrow your search to ones you like.

Many southern state's Extension offices have state or regional guides to the best rhodos and azaleas which will help you narrow your search.

Remember, good drainage is essential for survival. Balled-and-burlapped or container grown-plants are equally good to buy. If you do buy container-grown, be sure to "score" the roots vertically in three or four places along the outside of the container-shaped root mass as that will foster better root penetration that way.

The photo is of 'Lavender Lady', which is probably mislabeled from 'Lavender Queen'.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 1:39 PM

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.