Passionflower

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Are there any passionflowers that are winter hardy in the northeast - zone 5?

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I have never grown them and I think zone 6 is about as hardy as any of them get, but I could be wrong. However I believe you can treat them like any other less hardy perennial and grow them in a pot and bring them into an unheated garage or cool cellar to over winter. Even in zone 6 I think they require heavy mulch and a protected location for the hardiest of them to come through to spring. They are very pretty for sure. Here is a link that may help, scroll down to check out all the goodies. Good luck and I'm sure others with much more experience than me can give you more wisdom.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=passion+flower&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

The Maypop is supposed to be hardy in at least 6 but I can't even get one to grow during the summer. I really want the fruit and the cool looking flowers. GRRRRR

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am in zone 6.... I will let you know if my maypop returns this year (not hopeful)... and if the blue crown that I brought inside... springs back

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i just recieved a Logee's catalog and they claim that the Maypop is hardy to zone 5 - they note to mulch plant before winter.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I will soon find out... mine came from Logee's

Great thread - You want to change my name?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Do they stay a manageable size for a pot?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

good question victor - it looked like a vine in the pic in logee's catalog - need to do some research - if i can keep it in a pot and then over winter in the garage - maybe - the flower looks great - the yankee cat "grrr" has me concerned

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

I hate lugging things in and out ... trying to avoid that! Oh well ...

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

it is a vine... here is the blue crown I brought in last year

Thumbnail by onewish1

But how tall does it get? Did you grow it against something or have a support in the pot?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i tried mandevilla several years ago and it was a pain to over winter - having second thoughts

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the blue crown was in that pot like the way it is... grew up and then back down and kinda trailed along the ground around it... I just wound up the extra vines before I brought it in

says 12 - 15 foot long

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/99393/

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

I grow passis here in NY and I do not dare loose them, even if they say they are hardy! I have them all in pots.
I trim them as much as I can before coming in and they survive for me. I never plant them in the ground, so I never see anything being invasive. I also spray all of my babies all winter long to avoid diseases and bugs that includes my brugs.

The blue crown pictured above has even given me fruit in past years!

This is my wall where the passis grow. I will see what other pics I have!

Thumbnail by Clemen

The blue one, that was my very first many many years ago, the hardy one! LOL I do not know if she is, she comes inside everywinter!

Thumbnail by Clemen

Opps not the one in the background! the closer one, I guess the light changed the color!

If anyone is iinterested in ordering passis, this place is better than Logges, cheaper and better, it is Eden gardens in LA.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice Clem.... what do you spray on your plants?

What size pots?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

can't find Eden Gardens... do you have a link?

Here is the link guys, pot size are 4 1/2 inches. Mr. McMillian is the owner along with his wife, very nice people to deal with. I even got a passi with a fruit on it and another one with buds! Let me see where I can find those pictures!

I spray them with a garden safe product three in one!

http://www.almostedenplants.com/

Found the one that came with the fruit!

Thumbnail by Clemen

These are babies germinating, I bought the fruit at the grocery store, craked it iopen in the dirt and they are germinating, yay! I am going to have tons!

Thumbnail by Clemen
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks Clem... yeah for the babies!!!!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Clemen - I favorited them for the summer. I am bound and determined to get maypop growing on my neighbor's fence!

Very nice clem. What do you spray them with when they're inside?

Cat, maybe I should take my chances too this year with a baby. I hear those Maypop die to the ground in winter, but that they do come back. I f you try to order those now on line, there are hard to find because they are dormant. They will become available soon I think though.

Thank you Vic, I spray them with a product called SAFER Fungicide 3. i really do not have issues with them indoors!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

The local greenhouse here sells them in gallon containers every year. At the end of the season they are greatly reduced in price (big shrub container with trellis) for I think $15.00. I should have picked up a few last fall, but I didn't.

Willie, those babies can grow so fast though on no time, believe me!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I bet, Clemen! They were on 4 ft. trellises and looked like shrubs.

The ones I received from the eden place were 3 to 4 feet tall, however they are babies.

Wow Willie SHRUBS????? I bought a big one here at a nursery near by in the fall, no id, and she died on me as soon as I brought her home. Maybe she could not stand the sun /cold where I placed her. I was so sad and I paid $20 for it! Next time if you like them grab them! Although this is a good time to get babies cheap cheap cheap, you hear me cheap, lol!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

uh - huh ...... just like shrubbery ..... they were pretty beat-up by fall when I saw them on sale at 60% off, but I bet they would have bounced back nicely.

I am sure they would have been very happy under the table in my already over-stuffed greenhouse.

Ha ha ha!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.