Loose goats eating azaleas

Sarasota, FL

Just spoke with my daughter who lives in a nearby state in a very rural location. Seems the idiot neighbors allow their goats to roam up and down the highway, eating whatever whenever they please. This includes shrubs and my daughter's azaleas.
Of course, the obvious solution is complain to the neighbors. It's been tried and no good. Same with calls to the sheriff.
I thought azaleas were poisonous!
No $ is available for an electric fence.
Anyone know if hot pepper spray will just be a flavor enhancer?
Anyone have other ideas?
The only other thing I can think of is to plant garlic all over to affect the taste of the milk (if these are milk goats).

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Goats can eat things like poison ivy so I don't think azaleas are going to do much to them. They have a reputation of being true ominvores so I'm not sure that anything you spray on the plants will deter them so fencing may be the only real solution. Certainly wouldn't hurt to try hot pepper or maybe some predator urine and see if that does anything though.

Sarasota, FL

Thank you, the problem is the owners. THEY need the pepper spray.
The goats are like children and purposely let out.
I don't know how they can sleep at night; one may be hit on the highway.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree on the neighbors being the ones who need the pepper spray! I don't understand why some people are so inconsiderate. I wonder if she could try taking them to small claims court to recover the cost of the plants? People will often be selfish and take the easy way out on things but if they think it's going to cost them something if they keep letting the goats roam then they might be more likely to keep them at home.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

If the goats are in your yard eating your plants after the owners have been asked to keep them penned, then it's time for BBQ.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.