Blue Tiger (Tirumala limniace)

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by Dinu
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Dinu - Thanks so much for these beautiful pictures! Your shots helped confirm that some photos I took at Chicago Botanic Garden's "Butterflies & Blooms" exhibit were, indeed, 'Tirumala limniace'.

Though they had butterfly charts available (which I photographed) not all the butterflies in the exhibit where on the chart. I have been searching for over a week and though some looked similar, yours were an exact match! Even better, yours were in their native setting!

I can now add some of my pics to this BugFiles thread feeling confident of the Identity.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

So nice to know that, nutsaboutnature.
I notice you are really nuts about nature!! So here are some links - my blogs.
http://mysoreanmusings.blogspot.in/2011/08/butterflies-in-my-yard.html
This is my blogpost in my main blog. See the links in it, also you can visit my other posts on other subjects also if you have time or interest.

http://dinusyarden.blogspot.in/2013/12/common-jezebel-eclosion.html
A plain tiger here... you may enjoy. This is in my exclusive blog on gardening that I update from time to time. There are a few other posts on butterflies, my plants and what all I do out there in my Yarden!

The picture on top here was taken in a field where I saw this beauty looking for nectar on a wild lantana plant. They do fly over my garden in their season in large numbers. Thousands may be.

It will be nice to see your blue tigers!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Dinu, your blogs are really interesting, great fun and unique! Your butterfly pics are lovely and the photo progression of the Common Jezebel Eclosion is amazing...gorgeous colors as well! It's a shame about the third one, though.

Thanks so much for posting the links. I plan to spend more time reading them and viewing your pics and I will as time allows.

You appear to be extremely creative, which is wonderful and impressive. My husband and I are always trying to figure out better (and cheaper) ways of doing things and find it very rewarding when we're successful so I can really relate.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I'll call you NAN because I know not your popular name or shortened screen name or your real name!! :)
Hi Nan,
Many thanks for your time on taking a first dekko at my blogs. I really enjoyed my sessions with the butterfly eclosion which I did not know until our friend vitrsna here on DG mentioned about it in our correspondence. She is in Mexico. She loves butterflies and grows many plants to feed the catterpillars and provides hosts - that is how I came to know a few things.

Did you get to see my Junk blog, which is linked on the right? There will see many things 'trash to treasure'.

Let me know if you got the link open - about the butterfly album. My office computer cannot access that link because I think G+ is blocked by the adm. Earlier I had put them in picasa.

Best wishes.
Dinu

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Dinu,
Most members refer to me by a shortened version of my user name...the most common examples are: NAN and nuts. That's okay with me because I shorten many member's names as well. I know of vitrsna as she frequents the Daily Butterfly Pictures forum. She is quite knowledgeable and very nice, too.

I did see your Junk blog...very interesting and creative! Yes, I was able to open the link to the Butterfly album without any problem. So many different varieties that we don't have here!

Have a pleasant day...or is it night?...you're time zone is very different than mine.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Hi NAN,
So I'll use both in that case, whichever props up as I type. Like a saint I knew of such confusions or troubles others would face and so mine is a simple 4-letter name, which also others call me for 'Dinakar'.

I have learnt so much from vitrsna in the last year and it's my good fortune to have known her through DG, like so many people here.

Good to hear the butterfly album worked and I've not updated the album - there are, may be 3-4 I may have to add to it but finding not much time to sit and verify.

I know not what time you posted there, but India is about 10-11 hours ahead. Now it is 8.05 pm here Thursday, which would be about 9.35 am in IL, if it is 10 hours.

Dinu

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yeah...when I picked my user-name I figured it would get shortened by other members, but I still like the name as it is a good representation of who I am. I enjoy all the shortened versions. It's kind of fun.

It's pretty amazing to me that you have all these butterflies that I can only see at special nature exhibits! But I read similar things from members in other countries that don't have Hummingbirds.

Like you, I have learned so much on DG from other members with much more knowledge than me about a lot of subjects. When I first joined, I was just starting a compost bin and asked all kinds of questions in the Soil & Composting forum. People were so helpful!

Have a nice night.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Ya, NAN, there are always positives in names. Zone 5 butterflies and zone 10 butterflies are different - probably in colour and size also. The world has amazing diversity, isn't it? We also do not have hummingbirds here. We have the sunbird and tailorbird, of course, much larger than the hummingbird. I listed the birds that visit my small yard in one of my blogposts [garden]. We have an astonishingly lovely people, intelligent and kind as they are, here who have always helped others and showed right directions.

After a long time, I was able to see this Green spotted triangle actually stop by at length, thanks to my new zinnias. It kept fluttering the wings continuously and I was unable to get a good still of the wings.

Have a lovely day ahead.

Dinu ☼

Thumbnail by Dinu
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Dinu - sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I haven't had a chance to visit DG much recently.

Congrats on the Green Spotted Triangle! It's funny the way a flower that grows all over the world attracts entirely different species only seen in certain areas. I, too am amazed by all the diversity of the world. It makes this huge world so much more interesting.

Have a great day!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Yes NaN, it's absolutely amazing. Different temperature zones will also have different coloured flowers that are more predominant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.