Laurie's Garden Tour 2

Eugene, OR

Forgot the burping!! Same criteria! And yes the giggles, my boys loved to get me going because they knew I couldn't stop. And they were just as bad.

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

This is really a funny line of chat! Welcome Sarafyn, you find us at our most mature and juvenile at one and the same time.

tills, hope your tummy is better, and thank you for the snowdrop. so pleased they are doing well.

It's because we yearn for spring. spring fever. Yep.
Having heard horror stories from mothers of boys, when my son was young we used to make little targets to float in the toilet for him to shoot at. If you can't beat them, join them, as they say. Worked a treat and no messy bathrooms ever. He's always been a good shot. LOL! Regarding normal bodily functions, I focused on that too, to no avail. Some mountains are just too big to climb.

Here is the snowdrop 'flore pleno'. If only they were taller! It's so hard to get a good photo of them.

Thumbnail by

Pix, that is a great story, wait til you tell his (future) fiance! Excellent.

Nice snowdrop.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I wish they came in a giant version. Like 4-5' tall, and proportionally-sized flowers.
I am getting too grumpy to get on my hands & knees to view things, like nodding Helles.
I suppose the alternative viewpoint (no pun intended) is that it makes great landscaping for the wee creatures that inhabit our gardens.
Wouldn't mind being small like Alice (Through the Looking Glass) & taking a stroll through the garden. Well, except for giant bugs & slugs, birds, errant dog feet, etc...

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I so agree Katye. Reminds me of the movie ' Honey I shrunk the kids'

Lets go ride the ant to the next flower, LOL

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Welcome Serafyn. We are a crazy bunch. Come on spring!!!
Being a mother of 4 sons myself, I am just dying here. ALL the noises were sure to induce giggles. Don't forget the 'making noises under the armpit', too. The contests, of course with musical qualities. That was a major form of entertainment around the campfire.
Feel better, Tills!
Going to check out the latest link from katie.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Yes, Thank You. Going back to work in AM. I have never felt this bad. Must be getting old, things hit me harder than it use to. LOL

Laurie, we will certainly have a number of interesting stories to tell future girlfriends, his 'target practice' only one.
Welcome Serafyn! I hope we don't scare you off with our craziness. Has anyone heard from James lately? I hope we didn't run him off. Really, we should behave ourselves front of newbies a little better or we'll never have more friends.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

You're funny Pix!

Eugene, OR

Too late now!!heeheehee

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I did not know she was there until the end of our discussion. Yes we should behave. Serafyn come back and talk to us and let us know how you are doing. What are your interests and what brought you to Daves?

Actually, if we weren't so much fun, they wouldn't bother checking in - look at the range of people, geographic and, hmmm, can't think of another descriptive word, interesting - we just hummm, and all of these interesting people just want to join in. Ahhhh, its so good being us, isn't it (she says after a good good day in the greenhouse - don't you just love when you buy one plant and manage to make it into 12 plants. Yes indeed).

Shelton, WA(Zone 8b)

I am new to gardening....started my first vegetable garden last year. It did quite well. My hubby and I just finished building our house 2 years ago and I have no landscaping whatsoever. I have no idea what to do. I really like cottage style gardens, but I also like formal. I would like to somehow blend those two together. Unfortunately, I don't have much of a budget, and I'm also not very good at designing.....I am quite overwhelmed at how to begin.

Here is a pic of my veggie garden at the beginning of last year.
http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm321/serafyn_photos/veggies2.jpg

Here is a pic of my front yard.....ugh
http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm321/serafyn_photos/house-front6.jpg

If anyone has suggestions, I am open!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Serafyn, If you will d-mail me and let me know where you live I can come out and give you some suggestions to get you going. I live in Union which is 20 minutes away from town. I was a Mason County Master Gardener until the end of '08, then I retired. The Extension office is also a good source of gardening particulars for Mason County. The office is on hwy 101 just past the fairgrounds and across from the airport. Others here have started with a lay-out and there are many people here who have great ideas for filling in the plans. We also have work parties and go to peoples home to get them started on a project. And most have plants to share.

Shelton, WA(Zone 8b)

Could anyone tell me how to add photos so that the thumbnail shows in the comment like everyone elses does?

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Serafyn, your vegetable garden looks great! You are off to a good start there with a nice arrangement of beds and pathways. Do you have a source of composted manure to add to it?

I can certainly relate to the lack of landscaping with a house in a big field. That's about how I started too. it can be kind of overwhelming. A plan is a good thing to start with as it can give you a way to reach smaller goals each year that are part of a bigger cohesive picture. Willow can get you started!! I admit that I didn't really draw anything out at first, and have made plenty of mistakes, but that is how I have learned what works and doesn't work.

One thing to consider is what you look at from the windows in your house. I plan to put in some trees and shrubs this year in a place I can see while washing dishes or sitting at the computer in a nearby room. Since we have a long rainy season in the Winter, I want to have some Fall color and some Winter/early Spring flowering shrubs to brighten up gray days. You might something like that too.

To add a photo, scroll down under the message box. Click on the "Browse" button, to the right of the image bar. This will take you to you pictures file on your computer. You can select a photo, click on iy, and the file will attach in the image bar. Then hit send.

Oh, and another idea. If you figure out where you want to have future garden beds, but don't think you'll have the funds to put in soil amendments and plants all at once, you can cover the area with free or cheap materials that will gradually break down and improve the soil so you can plant in it in a year or two. I have used leaves, grass clippings and horse manure for this, and I am now experimenting with wood chips to kill off the tenacious pasture grass where I want to have a bed in several years time.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

OH, Serafyn, lovely veggie beds. Some day I want that in my garden.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hello Serafyn. At the bottom of the dialog box is a labled "Image" with a blank box and a box next to it called Browse. Click on Browse and you will bring up what is on your computer to load after you have typed the information you want to send. Just double click on the picture you want while "Browsing" and you will get it to dysplay below your comments.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
(Judi)Portland, OR

Sofer that is a striking photo. I like the way the light illuminates the plant but not the cat. Nice!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Serafyn - try to think about having large impacts - putting in a number of one kind of plant will help keep its impact in a large space. Also, think about shrubs and small trees, especially things that are evergreen to anchor sections of the property and provide a foil against which you can put in smaller specimens of things you've fallen in love with.

It 's awsome to have your own Master Gardener to help you get started. And the native plants sales in various counties is a great way to get starts of native trees, shrubs and perennials bareroot for dirt cheap (no pun intended).

And we all love to share ideas - you can post a picture of a place or take a picture of a diagram of what you're trying to design and we'll all pitch in.

Hi Serafyn. Welcome to gardening and to DG. This is a good place to learn,, and also to get helpful suggestions and even people like Willow to come and give suggestions! You do have a large, blank slate to work with and that's really quite fabulous. Looks like you have plenty of sunshine at your place. (At least, as much as anyone can have around here.)
May I suggest that you begin by compiling a garden notebook of photographs and ideas that you love so you can start finding your own style? There is no reason you cannot combine that English perennial garden look with more formal gardens. Some people have more formal gardens in front and then have the more 'natural' looking plantings at the back. It's always a good idea to begin thinking about shrubs and trees because they will form the 'bones' of your garden,, but , of course, some of learn that as we go along! And AFTER the fact! And somehow it works out.

The other suggestion I have is to take a look at your soil. I'm sure if Willow comes out, she can point you in the right direction in terms of soil, but if the soil is not nice, the plants will languish. Sofer spends a lot of time amending his soil and his plants show it. I would venture to guess that all of us have learned the hard way to pay attention to what kind of soil we have, and what we need in order to grow what we want.

Eugene, OR

Hi Serafyn. Welcome. Boy did you come to the right place. There are people on this thread that have done magical things with their gardens and are more than willing to offer advice. And lucky you, being close to Willow! I'm new also and still taking it all in. I've gotten some great ideas that I want to try when weather allows. And people have shared seeds with me also, another new thing for me to try.

Eugene, OR

Serafyn..... I was wandering around and came across this thread that is offering seed to newbie's. Directions for sending a wish list, a bubble envelope and postage. The person who has been doing it has been ill, but sounds like she'll be up and running again soon.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/949552/

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Welcome Seratyn, O Boy have you come to the right place. Oooo I could have fun in that yard along with everyone else, love you veggie garden. I would love to come with Willow. I am making plans to see her, I'm only 45 min. from her. I have a mag. that I think you would like. It shows small baby steps to a big yard without being overcome in the over all. I live in the woods have to be a little careful, but to have all that O'my. To Fun.

Shelton, WA(Zone 8b)

Hello tilly, thank you. I have 5 acres and it is pretty much just wide open space. There was a lot of scotch broom all over the place and my hubby has been working on getting rid of it. He has mowed most of it down now. I don't like the stuff because it's so hard to get rid of, but it sure is pretty when it's in bloom. It is all over out here and can be cool to see the drifts of bright yellow everywhere.

Thank you Sally, yes I did find out about the newbie seeds, arejay sent me the information. What a great thing!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I don't have much to share as I just started mine last year. But I do know I will have Daylilies to share soon. And I have got so in to Irises have about 30 new ones, this will be my first year with them I think I got caught up in the moment. Ouch!!
But really love Dahlias. Here to help.

My woodland, just a part of it. this it gypsy camp LOL

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Serafyn,
The Mason County Master Gardener's Plant Sale the weekend before Mother's Day is a wonderful place to purchase great plants at a fantastic price (I'm sure Willowwind will post the sale information as it gets closer) http://www.co.mason.wa.us/fairgrounds/calendar/view_entry.php?id=177&date=20090509 also if you are looking for native plants the Mason Conservation District has a native plant sale every year in February http://www.masoncd.org/

Shelton, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow Tilly, that looks great and I LOVE the furniture!

Thank you for the information rachie!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Serafyn - Wow, five acres! One can only dream! With that kind of space, you might want start thinking about trees. You'll have room for some really big species. The kinds that us city folks can only admire from a distance. Northern Red Oak, Copper Beech, Deodor Cedar, Sugar Maples...lots of possibilities. Most of them will take years to get really big, but you can think of them as your legacy to future generations.

Here's a snap of a particularly handsome Copper Beech.

Thumbnail by Jamesk
Shelton, WA(Zone 8b)

Nice James, that is a beautiful tree! Yes, I do need to plant some trees, but I have to be careful about where I put the large ones because some of the neighbors here have a view of Mt. Rainier and we aren't supposed to grow trees that will block their view. There are a few spots on the property that I could plant large ones. (About half our property is not in the view zone) I just need to decide which ones would be best.

Because our property is wide open, it does get a bit windy here. Unfortunately, the area where I need to put up some wind breaks is also the area that I cannot plant anything that will get too tall. I can probably go 30 feet high. I am interested in planting quite a few ornamental trees on the property. One of the things I would like to do is line the driveway with flowering trees. I have always loved the way that looks.

Here is our front yard viewed from the front door.

Thumbnail by serafyn
Shelton, WA(Zone 8b)

If you are standing at the front door of our house, here is the left side of the front yard, with my veggie garden. You can see the long driveway.

Thumbnail by serafyn
Shelton, WA(Zone 8b)

As you can see, lots of nothing right now....

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

What is the tree in 2nd pic. There are lots of flowering trees that only get to 15 of 20 feet. Some I wish I would like, but I don't need trees.

Mock Orange
Flowering myrtle
I know someone else can give you a big list.

We are in the same zone, but I am in a wet zone. I have lots of native Elderberry, Indian plum. not sure if they would do good there.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

James where is that Copper Beech? I like to visit trees to get ideas on mature size. Obviously I go to arboretum a lot.
This is a tree that is gorgeous Serafyn and does not grow tall to block views. Leaves are red/green/yellow in the fall. It is a Parrotia Persica. Then I will load a lot of Japanese Maples for you to consider.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

O' yes the Jap. Maples, Thanks Steve forgot them and alot more. LOL

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I think the idea of "matching" trees lining the road would be great for impact - when you consider them, consider height (as you have been) and whether they'll work in your climate, leaf size, ability to tolerate the wind (fast-growing trees tend also to break in the wind), whether you want them to flower (cherry trees), whether you want them to be evergreen, shape, leaf color, and how important fall color is to you.

Check out the Arbor Day Society page. I think it's http://www.arborday.org. Membersehip is inexpensive. They have an online catalog with pictures of a lot of types of trees - just looking at them will help you to decide what kind of shape and leaf color you like.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Steve, Can't recall the exact location, but it was somewhere in the Hudson River Valley. It may have been on the grounds of the Military Academy at West Point.

If you like "tree spotting" you should pick up a copy of "Trees of Seattle" by Arthur Lee Jacobson. A very handy reference with the locations of prime examples of nearly every type of tree growing in Seattle. Visit Arthur's website http://www.arthurleej.com/ He's authored a number of good books. His most recent, "Wild Plants of Greater Seattle," is invaluable. He's a very interesting guy. He took me on a tour of the botanic garden at the Chittenden Locks last spring. His knowledge is simply amazing. He's also highly amusing.

Serafyn, it's always a good and neighborly thing to be mindful of neighbor's views before planting trees, especially fast growing trees. Some trees, however, will take 40 or 50 years to reach great size, and can greatly enhance some views. I always think that views framed by trees are the loveliest. Carefully sited trees can also help to bring a view into focus, accentuate scale or highlight the focal point. They can also be a splendid screen, blotting out views of things you don't want to see.

Anyway, you'll be the best judge of what will work for you, and what won't. My original suggestion was just to get you thinking about trees, often a good starting place when planning a garden.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I see all that space and I think restoration of natives. Does nothing grow naturally but grass? Is that a wet area out by the road? So many questions?

(Judi)Portland, OR

I can't imagine so much space to garden in!!! I would have no idea where to start. That's why I like getting information from all of you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.