Laurie's Garden Tour 2

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

A friend of mine pointed out the difference between men a'nd women.

You arrive at a dinner party, and the hostess ask the woman how was the journey here - and she replies "he drove, but it gave us a chance to talk -" and then goes on to relate the conversation and reflect on how it went.

The host greets the man and asks 'how was the journey here?' and the man replies, 'well, the M25 was jammed up, so we got off at the M2 and cut across to the A26. If you follow that to the A21 and turn just before the BP station....'

(Judi)Portland, OR

Laurie, exactly!

I just couldn't resist bringing a few hellebores in the house - they are all full of blooms.

Thumbnail by Portland1
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Nice bouquet.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

That is close but some men would comment on the conversation with their wife and also make her proud by recounting the one thing he remembered.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

You do seem to know where it's at there Sofer. A bouquet for you.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Thank you Willow.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

To Funny, you Guys LOL

Just a note for all that know Carla (cocoajuno)
I just got the message from her.

All is well, been in Az. for a week now. and happy of the weather there. Was a slow go all the way, hit bad weather in every state. 2 Uhauls and the van with the dogs. She will be checking in.

Tills

(Judi)Portland, OR

Sofer your wife is a lucky woman!

Eugene, OR

He knows how to keep her happy, which in turn means she will keep him happy!!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

She always does in all ways. I love her very much.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Love you Steve, take care of her she is a keeper. LOL
(which means LOT OF LOVE ) to you both.
Night all

Eugene, OR

Nite Tills

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Till's thanks for the info about Carla. So glad to hear that she is doing well. Sofer we all love you (((hugs)))

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Where'd everybody go? --- Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

James we have been over in frosty stuff #3 to discuss quantum mechanics.

But we can hang out here, too, if you want to. What's up in your garden?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I was out in my garden trimming trees and fixing the bark dammage with my surgical knife so the boo boos heal rapidly. Though it was snowing all day and often in the bright sunshine. I have my grandaughter this week so I have been walking all over my house on my knees with pads to help her to walk. I am serious that I bet she walked a half a mile today while I followed on my knee pads.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

she sounds like a wee explorer.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Aw she's so cute! Those eyes! Sounds like she has you wrapped around her little finger.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Steve, that is so precious, and a cutie. ^_^

Wonder where Laurie is??? Have not heard from her in awhile.

James, Sorry we lost you, but we have so many treads going all the time, we even get lost LOLO
Happy Pattys day to you to.

Sassy, took over my potting tub, Funny. wonder what would happen if I added water.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Lakeview, OR(Zone 7b)

Tils-you would see a kitty walk on water^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have been training her to lead with the left foot so she can pitch for the Mariners. We need a good lefty. I waded her into a large flock of geese, ducks and seagulls. She held her own even when the goose was attacking her mother.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

OOOOMy, look at those eyes, so cute. Love babies LOL

Mort, NO>>>> What I would see is lots of claws headed for me LOL and lots of bad scratches, then lots of band aids. No walk on water just straight up and flying.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Steve - Seagulls in Montana...???

BTW, in a flash of inspiration (prompted by correspondence with a DG member, Dinu in Mysore, India - http://davesgarden.com/members/Dinu/ ) I decided to see what I could come up with and created a website and blog about the creation of my Seattle garden. It's not very exciting (lots of photos), but if anyone is interested, you can see it at this link.

http://web.me.com/jknodell/Would-be_Gardener/Welcome.html

Be sure to visit Dinu's postings. They're exceedingly interesting.

That baby (and momma!) is just beautiful! You can see the wonder of the world in her eyes. She must bring everyone such joy.

Off to visit Jamesk's page before bedtime.

Very nice, Jamesk! I thought you said you were a beginner? I can certainly see that you have a personal style that is soothing and lovely. Both the Seattle garden and the California gardens have the same 'feeling' to them. It must have been wonderful to be able to do all the planning and hardscape before doing the planting. We moved into a 1964 rambler that was a complete fixer, including the yard, on 3/4 acre. That was 9 years ago and I'm still not finished with the hardscaping. I get distracted by planting because it's easier to plant than to do hardscape. But each year I add another small piece, so eventually it will all be done. Probably by the time we retire and sell. Rats.
Looking at your red rhody, I wonder if it may be Vulcan? I have a number of those. I think they were popular back then.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2009 10:29 PM

Eugene, OR

What a beautiful baby!!!

Hope everyone had a good St Patrick's Day!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Steve, sore knees are the least you can do to help that precious baby learn to walk. :) I'm surprised you got to do any work at all in the garden with her around. GKs are the bestest!!!!

James, loved the story of your garden as well as Dinu's.

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

tills, I'm here - just a little less than usual. Lots of work on, and I'm walking 3 1/2 marathons a week right now getting ready for the WalktheWalk event - and the truth is, I'm exhausted. And than at the weekend its GARDENING!!!!! Wheelbarrows ready, gardeners! High beams on! So although I am pretty much following everyone's threads, I'm a little short on thoughts right now.

I did just ignore the dog's request for walking and watched James' slideshows - absolutely impressive - this man can really put plants together - he is a catch for PNW! Lovely.

And Sofer, you lucky man - baby and her mummy are lovely.

Now, dog walk.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes James you have a gift and a beautiful place to express it. I am impressed. Yes lots of seagulls in Montana. We are on a major flyway of rivers, lakes (Flathead lake is over 40miles long and up to 12 miles wide). Seagulls are inland birds and you will find them anywhere there is garbage and seafood.
Thank you all for the family comments. Yes I am blessed and fortunately there is little gardening when you have 2 ft of snow on the ground. Lots of time with my GD. Today we go to the Farm and Ranch store and look at baby chicks, turkeys, and bunnies. It is easy to entertain a 6 month old.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

James, an absolutely beautiful job on your garden, as well as on the presentation!

Lynn

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

James, you did a great JOB, now please come over and help me LOL Ho bring money LOL

Laurie, You go girl, you are in my thoughts always each time I look at the barrow, but mine don't have head lights. LOL

I thought you woud like this. Just a note from me. ^_^

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I've never created a web page before....but wanted to give it a try. Now if I just had something interesting to put in my blog. Alas, I don't do much that's very exciting. I cleaned out the Rhododendron beds in front of the house today and filled my green yard waste can....that's about as exciting as it gets. Somehow, I don't think anyone wants to read about it.

Tills, always happy to lend a hand. As for the money part....I wish I had a favorite rich old auntie about to kick the bucket, but just my luck....I don't. Oh well.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

James, I just went through your slideshow. Amazing. Well done. This year it will probably look like it's been there forever.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

O well Was hoping LOL. I would love for you to come out and give me some ideas, Its so overwhelming, like a lose cannon. What am I doing, Where am I going ^_^ and on and on. I know baby steps, and a bed is never done, or a project for that matter. Always changes.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

James - I'll bet you'd be surprised at how many people would be interested in hearing plant profiles, bed profiles, how you made decisions about the deck, where to put beds. Blog about your pictures and they will come . . . Often I find people's pages and blogs because they've tagged their pictures with the names of plants I'm researching.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi James,

I really liked your slideshows too. I like how you managed to transform everything without just ripping everything out and starting over. So it's both fresh and established. I wish my vision was that clear. What's this year's project?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Tills, I'm a regular visitor at the Bloedel Reserve, so Poulsbo is just a hop, skip and a jump further. I could stop by and we could put our heads together. I often have to cogitate for a while to come up with ideas, however. I'm not too good at coming up with instant solutions. If that works for you, I'll let you know when I'm contemplating a trip up that way....and perhaps we can arrange a date.

Katie, thanks for the ideas. I think I could come up with something along those lines. I do tend to think about things for a good while before launching into a project. I never thought about writing about the process, but I suppose there might be someone who would find it of interest. I'll see what I can come up with.

Susybell, The front garden is the focus this year. I've been working on ideas for ages. I've filled pages and pages of sketches. I think I'm just about there. My big dilemma is the next door neighbor to the east. Our two front lawns run together and from the street we appear to have a sort of large parkland in front of the two houses. I like the look, but keeping it all green in the summer is not only a chore, but expensive. Just edging and mowing takes a big chunk of time, and you don't want to hear about the water bill. Anyway, the neighbors seem perfectly happy with the status quo.....so I'm trying to figure out how to approach them with my ideas which would radically reduce the amount of lawn on my half. It's a bit touchy. This is something I know I'll be able to blog about. Stay tuned.

Here's a shot taken from about half way across the neighbor's lawn, looking toward my house. It'll give you some idea.

Thumbnail by Jamesk
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Possibly, who knows, could it be that the neighbor might be tired of all that work and expense too and want more variety and interest in their front yard? Maybe they just don't know how to go about it and need your inspiration and example to create a fabulous gardenscape that would meld seamlessly into yours.

Like others, I thoroughly enjoyed viewing your blog and reading all about the transformation of your back yard into a beautiful oasis.

(Judi)Portland, OR

James - I so enjoyed reading about your garden and and the photos are fantastic. You are quite inspiring. And if anyone can get their hands on the book 'Creating a Garden' by Mary Keen it is well worth it. I found it on Amazon for under 4 dollars. I also retired and left San Francisco for the PNW, and it was a very good decision!

Tills - you scored!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks James, that sounds like a plan.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.