Compost Question....

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I have a couple of ingredients (I could find more if needed)...is there a way I could use these to make good compost....or even a mulch that doesn't fry your eyeballs with the bright white of the shredded paper)?

I have bags of shredded computer paper. I have gallons of coffee grounds and I actually have some bokashi available as needed.

Is there a way I can compost this? I have tried mixing the paper and the coffee grounds...soaking it and then applying as mulch. The coffee washes thru with the rain and I am left with eye blazing white paper!!!

Layering the two in a rubbish can buried in the soil?
Buried in the ground?
Dug into trenches?
Adding Urea?
Adding AEM?

full of questions here...would appreciate any help!!

Carol

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Sounds to me like it would work just in a gathered pile. I like to corral compost piles that need corralling in a cylinder of dog fence, that can be picked up and moved. About three feet in diameter, just on the ground, like. then, layer your goodies, "water" with the bokashi -- you might want to put something a bit rougher in there in alternating layers, like twigs or something to keep the shredded paper from matting as matting will prevent air from flowing through the pile -- which will greatly slows the process of decomposition, that lack of air flow.

Or you could bury it either in trenches or in one big hole.... I would not bother with the rubbish can idea, myself.

If you use the dog fence idea, what you can do is pile your compost to a respectable three or four feet or so, let it work a bit, then whenever you want to actually turn the pile, lift the fence up around the composting matter -- you have to wiggle it a bit -- and put it down right next to the pile, then turn the pile into the fence in the new location. You will likely find some ready -to-use compost on the bottom, so use it! ;-)

Editing to say, however, it would be better if you put more varied ingredients into your compost. You will get a more complete end product that way. Though the bokashi will take care of some of that.....

This message was edited Feb 17, 2009 9:57 PM

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Carol,

I stockpile shredded office paper and spent coffee grounds all winter long. I make a compost pile out of them, though. I don't use them for mulch.

When I build a new pile in mid-spring, I mix up the shredded paper & spent coffee grounds with grass clippings, spent potting soil, chopped-up twigs from my just-pruned bushes, torn-up newspaper, soaked cardboard, a few handfuls of compost from my last pile, and whatever left over organic soil amendments I have lying around from repotting my container plants.

It isn't mulch per se, but it puts my shredded paper & spent coffee grounds to good use.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Terrific...just what I wanted to know... I like the dogfence idea....more air.... Will let you know what happens...I have lots of old rusty chicken wire...perfect!!!!!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Carol - the chicken wire will work great for you - keeps everything contained.
I use a method like Puddle Pirate described. I don't mix it up too much - mostly layering it all. It will break down nicely for you.
There is a benefit to the white shredded paper: moon garden mulch! LOL - with sunglasses, too....

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

You have that right!!! Glows in the dark!!!

We have little soil/dirt here...and always looking for free ways to make it!!! It's also a way to help me connect - emotionally and physically - with nature. Strange, eh?

My other purpose for this query is that we (Master Gardeners) are going to be working with a pilot project in an Elementary School where they want to start vegetable gardens... There is a good Junior Master Gardener program but it is cumbersome... If we can get the kids excited ... using available 'stuff'...all the better for all of us!!!!

Any more ideas will be gratefully accepted!

Carol

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Keep us posted!

I will say, personally I find chicken wire much harder to work with than dog fence...... Dog fence is both sturdier and easier to keep in the shape you want it, tho a bit pricier and harder to shape in the first place.... but, up to you of course! ;-)

Kyla

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Actually, I found some old plastic material from a composting "pile' I had in Seattle years go...will use that...

The factor I like about using the bottomless rubbish can is keeping all the stuff airtight and using the bokashi method. No smell. Maybe I will try both ways....? Will keep you posted...

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

A whole lot of composting folks use those free wood shipping pallets wired at the four points or just use a three sided fence approach. When they age they grey out and do not look bad in my opinion. They are ready made to about the right size to get good heating in a pile.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

What a good idea!!! Thanks.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Carol - when will you start the pilot project? One thing to keep in mind: things put in context along with a visual will help it stick. You could start some compost piles at staggered times so they can see & feel the progression & the results. The boys will most likely jump right in to mix the various components together, while the girls might be a bit hesitant. This should be a fun endeavour, especially if Worms get to play a leading role.

I remember living Kona-side, and the veg garden I had was the only area that had soil!
Otherwise, a lot of lava, in various stages of breaking down: the trees & shrubs that found this hospitable, thrived.
With all the rain we get, the shredded paper breaks down quite fast, and it is both exposed or in a layered pile. I do have about 15 - 20 bags of shreddings, which look like gigantic marshmallows growing in the orchard under a full moon. No solar lighting necessary!

Ashland, MT(Zone 4a)

I'll second that docgipe.

I have been using pallets too. I have the three sides wired tightly together while the fourth only loosely, then I can remove it for easy access to turn the pile or remove the compost.

I also drilled several large holes in the pallets to help air flow.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Katye...we get about 160" a year over here...I don't think the paper stands a chance!!!

Well..we went out to "the area" where I have that rubbish can buried in a pile of green waste that is breaking down. I keep piling leaves on it, along with green waste. I filled the rest of the rubbish can with fresh garbage a la bokashi, inbetween layers of shredded paper, a litre of AEM and about a foot of dirt on top so no air would get in...

THEN, we dug about a 1' hole in the pile of "mulch making compost"(an area about 8feet by 8feet and about 2feet deep) and layerd the paper, coffee, and dried organic mater in dirt. We made two piles of these which I also sprayed with AEM. I didn't cover the piles...as I want the paper to get really soggy and for the microrganisms and worms to do their thing... Gosh, some of the worms in there look like small boa constrictors!!!

Will take some photos on Friday....

Thanks for all your suggestions!!!!
Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.