Free plants I just received! ☺

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm excited, but I have no idea what they are. lol Or when to plant them! It's still pretty cold here right now.

Dh's friend owns a local Pugh's shop & has brought us lots of stuff over the past couple of years. Today he brought us (6) Indian Hawthorne, (4) Gumpo Azalea and (3) Green Lustre boxwood.

Can anyone tell me how to give tlc to the indian hawthorne?
One of them look a little sad but he said once planted, it should be fine.
Not sure I like the little boxwood, but it's ok to be free.

Is there anything I need to know about these?

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Danville, IN

I'm not very familiar with Indian Hawthorn since I'm farther north, but my hort literature says that they do best in Zone 8 and higher, marginally in Zone 7b. Prefers moist, well-drained soils, pH 6 to 7; will tolerate drought; adaptable to containers and above ground planters; tolerates restricted root space; injured at 0º F.

Interestingly, Dirr says that this plant "tended to be largely abandoned in late 1980's due to cold sensitivity and disease, memories are short and new cultivars have appeared with greater cold hardiness and disease resistance, am seeing the plant by the millions return to Zone 7b..."

Do you know the cultivar name? Dirr lists over 30.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

no I don't....the sticker on the pot just says indian hawthorn.
I read on google that these are supposed to be in full sun too which I don't have at all. It sounds like it might not be a good choice for me. Maybe my MIL can try them since she's in full sun.

Thanks for your help and looking that up for me. I appreciate it.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I have Indian Hawthorne that was planted about 8 years ago and it's doing great here in 7b. I had some 20+ years ago that died. I need to look to see how big it gets - it's already larger than I thought it would get.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Irwells do you have yours in sun?

Hmmm, some get sun until about 1 pm, some are almost aways in the shade, and there doesn't seem to be much difference in how large they are. I guess I don't have any in full sun.

Lynn

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

really? I have been reading that they will not tolerate shade until it is partial, needs mostly sun.
Where I need them is in a bit of morning sun but shade pretty much the rest of the day.

Well, sun until 1 pm here is 6 hours, which is all roses need, so I would say that's partial shade.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

ok, thanks for your help. Dh wants to try them to see if they'll work - which I agree with. Worst case scenario if they don't make it, we'll yank them up and try something else. lol

Mine have white blooms, which I think are more cold tolerant. You'll probably have to just wait and see what you get!

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

yea, the guy told me the were either pink or white. He didn't know which b/c the stickers were off of the pots. Personally I like the white but I guess it'll be a surprise.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

6 hours of sun is consider Full Sun

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.