Researching laptops

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I have been researching laptops, and have come to you with questions. You're not trying to sell me one, and I trust you.

I want one that is as lightweight as I can have, considering my needs. I will be using MS Office, including Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint. I will also use it to edit photos with Photoshop, along with using it as another backup for my photos. I'll want Internet access too. NO gaming.

I have looked at one that has a Windows XP Pro downgrade, and that really pleases me, since I have avoided Vista and its issues this long. Would that be a mistake on my part at this date?

This HP laptop has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Is that adequate for my needs? It also has a 250 GB HD and 3 GB memory (expandable to 8). Oh - and the speed is 1.8 GHz.

It weighs 5.8 pounds. That seems a little heavy to me. Is it?

It has a 15.4 inch screen, with a digital media reader, bluetooth, and lithium battery. Also DVD - CD-RW drive and 4 USB 2.0 ports.

It is priced at $899 (without the software I require) and looks good to me. Sorta.

Do you have any advice - both positive and negative? I am not locked in to this laptop, so if you have any other suggestions I am open to them.

My PC is an HP, and I have been pleased with it. Does HP make good laptops?

So many questions!! So sorry...

TIA, CJ

This thread has 20 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!