Lingernot/Staynot Gladomeer ۞in Arizona! (#11)

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

New thread! We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/947873/

Lingernot is a long distant cousin to Staynot. Staynot is currently away and can't be found at the current time. Lingernot has volunteered to fill in until Staynot returns.

You keep it for one week.
Must take a picture of the Gnome in your garden.
Write your location at the bottom of his pedestal.
Post pictures and send the little guy to the next person.

Keep in mind we should keep all addresses off of this forum and just between the person who has it and the person who needs it.

ps. Lingernot likes Tropicals and other Gnomes...

Hosts:
1. Kimarj *
2. svplantingfool *
3. jojoringer *
4. Slipperman MIA (Give us Staynot or else...lol)
5. LariAnn *
6. Sheila_FW *
7. abbisgranma *
8. heavenscape *
9. barhea7*
10. Samigal *
11. ByndeweedBeth
12. Pixydish *
13. BeaHive*
14. Sunnyg*
15. Santeelady*
16. Sally_OR*
17. nanniepb
18 Pamgarden
19. Doe41
20. Texasbigleaves
21. CMoxon *
22. jordankittyjo
23. LavinaMae
24. Mrs_Ed*
25. makshi*
26. MissJest'r

We know you'll be a gracious host to Lingernot, and before you release him to the next in line, dmail that DGer to confirm mailing address and ensuring active participation and if possible, the contact phone number.
Thanks.

Downloading pictures now but wanted to let everyone know he has arrived in Arizona, safe and sound.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2009 8:28 AM

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Sorry missed putting on the picture

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Saturday Morning February 14th, 2009
I was feeling kind of blue when I woke up Saturday morning. Here it was valentines day, Billy was in California and my only big plan was to fix Roo a chicken coop, and study my quiet garden to figure out how I wanted to do it.
I got up, started the coffee, fed all the critters and decided to go into town for some nails and the makings for Beef Stroganoff for supper. I looked at Home Depot for some seed and plant ideas, they did not have very much out as of yet, they told me to check back in a few weeks.
On my way home I stopped by the general store to get my mail, and as I walked thru the door, Mr C was putting up the mail. He looked at me and shouted “Lingernot has arrived”.. You see I have told them of a very special visit I was expecting and they were all excited for me. He stopped what he was doing and handed me a special package.
OH the excitement was getting to me, my valentine’s day was going to be very special indeed, as I had a special friend to share it with. I got home and opened him right away.
“Hello Lingernot, I have been waiting for you” He looked at me with his smiley eyes and said, “So I hear”. “What do you have in store for me today?” he asked… I looked at him and said “Well nothing too exciting, I have to build up a old chicken coop and maybe try to get some ideas on my quiet garden” “Oh how lovely” he said as he was surveying his tools I have gotten ready for him, “This should be fun. I have a vast knowledge of gardens, as I have traveled far and wide across the USA and have visited some of the best gardens around. I might be able to give some great ideas” OH my excitement was beyond containment. More about my quiet garden later.
Here are the pictures from Lingernot giving me a hand in fixing the old coup.

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Lingernot asked why I was using old material we had collected on the ranch, I told him I was keeping with the old feel of this 75 year old cattle ranch. I could find most of what I needed around here, although it may not look new, it was sturdy.
Here is his view from the coop. We replaced the back wall with some tin he helped me find

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

We collected used wood for steps and he was so helpful in making sure the fit was just right

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

We used a bunch of different wire to enclose the coop where the wire was missing, all in all the coop cost me 3 dollars to fix, and that was for nails only.

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I found Lingernot resting in the shade after working very hard. He was enjoying the rest so I let him while I cleaned up. This is an old chair we found, with a good coat of paint it should be a great addition to the quiet garden

This message was edited Feb 17, 2009 9:16 AM

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

After a brief break to enjoy our handiwork and a spot of Gnome tea for Lingernot and a coke for me, we moved over to the quiet garden. I saw a distressed look in Lingernot’s eyes and I decided to explain a few things to him.

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

“Lingernot,” I said, “Let me tell you a story about this ranch. 75 years ago, it was a 400 acre cattle ranch, complete with a arena where the cowboys would gather in their free time to have rodeos, lush gardens for food, and this here quiet spot, that held all kinds of birds, chickens and assorted pets of Miss Mary.
The original owner’s daughter, Miss Mary grew up on this ranch and thru the years parts of it was sold off to support the family, the last remaining 80 acres, was given to her niece Mrs. C when she passed on in 94. Mr and Mrs C built the Crazy Horse Feed and Store on the early 90’s to support their family, as the cattle were long gone.
Miss Mary loved critters, and her papa built many chicken and bird cages, along with rabbit hutches and pens for hogs and calves and horses for her to play with. Many of them are still standing, and some are being used to this day. The pens where the Mini horse Fancy and the mini donkey Humps are among the ones still being used. The chicken coop we just fixed, were for her guineas and that is why it had a wire roof. In the middle of the pens, were a lush garden with a fish pond surrounded by tree’s. This garden had fallen in a state of disrepair, and the fish were long gone.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2009 10:13 AM

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

This year, I wanted to redo the quiet garden, and asked Mrs C if she would mind. She did not, as she loved to sit there in the summer afternoons, but do to her age, (78) has not been able to do much to keep it up. I decided the fish pond would make a great flower bed, as it was filled with leaves that had composted and all I had to do is fill it up with some rich soil found by the arena. It will take some work, but I think it will be a nice place for me a Billy to picnic and pass the time in the summer. “
I looked over at Lingernot and he was listening to me with intent and took a breath and spoke. “ I come to visit with you with something that might help you out. In my travels, I have collected some seeds from across the USA and will be willing to share with you for your quiet garden. This place may look sad right now, but if we work together, I think by this summer we can turn it back to its glory days”
“Oh Lingernot, that is what I had hoped for, as you are so knowledgeable in the garden, and together we can make this work..” “Well then, “ he said, “lets get started”

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

another view of the back whatnot wall

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

the rosemary patch that still thrives

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

The twinkle in his eye.

We both discussed our ideas, he checked out some of the residents and plants that still existed and proclaimed” By Golly, I think this will be a wonderful flower garden”

This message was edited Feb 17, 2009 10:41 AM

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Looking at the garden from another view

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Meeting Fancy, 25 year old Mini Horse
I told him she might bite, so he opted to stay on the outside

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Meeting Humps them MIni Donkey. Age unknown

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

WONDERFUL! Oh I'm so pleased to see Lingernot enjoying his Arizona welcome! What fun!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

*****************************Sunday February 15th, 2009*********************************

I woke up to the sound of snoring… Poor Lingernot was pretty tuckered out from yesterday and the creation of the quiet garden that he fell asleep shortly after supper..

I got up, put the coffee on and went outside to feed the critters. I figured I would let him sleep as we were going to be working with the horses today.

I own 3 horses myself, Miss Gracie a 12 year old pali rescue I have had for 4 years. We turned our first barrels a year ago, and until her injury a few months ago, she was being used by a friend’s daughter for the Gymkana series. Miss Chyanne, a 4 ½ year old BLM Mustang that my son Gene bought me last year for Valentines Day. Billy claimed her, and after working with her I rode her in her first Gymkana last August. Billy started this gymkana series on her last October. They have become great friends. Thund’r is a 3 year old gelding out of my first horse. She is gone, but a part of her lives on. I am starting him under the saddle, and sadly Lingernot did not get a chance to try it as he is still full of piss and vinegar. I will get him on Thund’r before he leaves.

I went back in the house to feed the indoor critters, dogs, cats and the baby chickens and to enjoy a cup of coffee before starting my day. As I sat down with my coffee, I heard a snort and Lingernot rolled over and jumped out of his bed.. “Am I late?” he muttered, “No you are not Lingernot, I thought you might need the rest. Sit down and enjoy a cup of Gnome tea while I tell you what we have in store for us today”.

“I need to get Miss Gracie ready to ride tomorrow for the roping, she has not been rode in 3 months. I am also taking Chyanne to get her use to being around cattle, so we will need to work with her as well.” “Wonderful” Lingernot said “I am looking forward to horse back riding.

Here is Lingernot riding Miss Gracie.

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Lingernot Tall in the saddle

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Lingernot having a blast

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I told Lingernot that a good Cowboy always thanks his horse for the ride....

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Then I asked him if he wanted to ride a True Old West legend. He asked me "What makes Chyanne a legend?" I said she was a BLM Mustang the kind of horses that the Indians use to ride. They now live wild among different parts of the USA.

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

He asked "How di you know she is a mustang?" I replyed, " see the white markings on her neck? That is a freeze brand that she is marked with when she was caught, it identifies what part of the USA she came from and the year they guess she was born"

This message was edited Feb 17, 2009 11:44 AM

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Lingernot thanks her for the ride

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Lingernot chose not to go out on the trail with me, it was a bit of a ride since Gracie had not been out in awhile. So he chose to stay in the quiet garden gathering Ideas.

When I got back from my ride, I told him I explored the old homestead and that tomorrow after the roping when we got back we would hike up there as there were some items that we could use for lawn art in the quiet garden.

He is looking forward to the hike tommorrow.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

*****************Monday February 16th, 2009 ************************

Woke up to the sound of rain, was hoping it would clear up. But that was not the case, it just got worse. He woke up and grabbed his had and said ”I am ready”, I had to break it to him that we did not rope in the rain.

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Lingernot and I were stuck in the house all day. He had so wanted to ride some more, so I let him ride the rocking horse that has been passed down and is now one of Billy’s favorite horses.

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

He also wanted to learn how to load the horses in the trailer, so he practiced almost all day.

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Loading horses and cattle

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

the steer was the last to go in

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

All loaded up and ready to go

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh my goodness! What fun he is having!! You have so many perfectly gnome-sized things for him to enjoy! I'm so very glad he was able to come and visit you. He's really learning a lot!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I am so happy he came to visit... BIlly said he could use any of his toys while he was here. My only regret is that he will not be able to visit with Billy. He is not due back from California until the week of the 25th, and it will be time for Lingernot to be on his way.

He said he had such a blast in his travels....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is a most EXCELLENT adventure. Thanks so for sharing the history of the ranch too MissJestr. The horses really seem to like Lingernot so he must be a good rider. I hope you will share some pics of the quiet garden once its finished as I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I plan on sharing the process of the quiet garden as I will be looking to people who know more about gardening for help. It is a big undertaking, but Lingernot says he knows I can do it. I am thinking about changing the name from quiet garden to something to honor the gnome who will make it possiable with his ideas... maybe Lingerplease garden?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That's a wonderful name: The Lingerplease Garden.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for the story of the ranch, I enjoyed it as much as Lingernot. Beautiful horses and I know our little gnome is enjoying himself as well as giving you ideas for the garden. He seems to be a big help to you and a lot of great company. Lingerplease Garden, great name. Maybe he can give me some ideas while he is with you.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Wonderful experiences at the historic ranch. I am sure with his axe and the other tools you have for him; he will be able to help clear out and plant seeds with you in your new Lingerplease Garden. The mini horse and donkey are so sweet. The other horses are really beautiful too.
That is a great truck and horse trailer that Billy has and it was nice of him to share too. It reminds me of when Fette came to visit in 2006 and found a John Deere Gator just his size at the StockShow.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL Sheila. It's a perfect fit!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Oh Shelia I love it. I collect John Deere tins and that would fit right in.

I am lucky Billy is in to sharing his stuff and I talk to him every night and tell him what Lingernot does during the day. I told him that he rode Gracie and his Chyanne and he was happy someone was riding them. He asked if Linger was helping me with his chores (Since he was not there to do them) and I told him yes he was and Billy said thats good, so Linger can use his truck and trailer...

The truck and trailer was given to me by my father years ago. It was my dream rig, down to the yellow truck and red trailer... You would be able to see me coming.
The year daddy died, was Billys first Christmas and so I gave it to him from Daddy. He plays with it all the time, and when it is time to clean up, most of his horses go in there. I pulled it out for Lingernot figuring he could roam around the ranch cowboy style. He cant seem to get the hang of having his cowboy hat on outside, as it is a bit windy here and he spends more time chasing it than wearing it, so it ends up crown side down on the passengers seat next to him.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.