A VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU TO U.S. REGISTRAR ALICE HARRIS

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

We now have a United States Registrar, Alice Harris that will get our canna rhizomes named. This is thanks to the many hours it involved by this one special lady and all the hard work that was put into this project getting it into the States.

Thank you Alice!

Photo of my canna Pistol Pete. Named in memory of my Dad, Pete Parker & his sports hero Pistol Pete Maravich.

Photo taken by Christa, in FL.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2009 8:56 PM

Thumbnail by cannagirl
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Pls describe Pistol Pete for us. Lovely homage to your dad

Our Abutilon is the US Registrar? coolness!

Crestview, FL

cannagirl: Very pretty canna and I know what it's like to have a dad who passed away recently also. Glad that was done.
joy

Highland, IL

What a beautiful plant!! And I just love the name, pistol pete!! And knowing the reason even makes it a better name!!! Please let us know when they are on the market etc. I do not know how any of this works, so if I have stated something wrong, please accept my ignorance as the apology!! LOLOL

Laura H

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks everyone for your comments about Pistol Pete.

Lol! Yes, Vossner I'm very happy to say our Abutilon is the U.S.A Registrar!!! It feels so good to have our rhizomes named in the states....thanks to Alice.

Laura, you didn't state a thing wrong!!! Bless you for your kind words. This is all Greek to me as well, getting a rhizome named. Couldn't have done so without Alice's help.

Joy, thank you. Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Pistol Pete is a med. sz. canna. Foliage is narrow, almost weeping the way it drapes over, light apple green in color. Blooms are long lasting. The vibrant, tropical red blooms are outlined in a halo of sunshine yellow. P.P. makes a stunning backdrop for smaller tropicals.

Crestview, FL

cannagirl: My dad got the french brigadere award from WWII and wasn't awarded it until a few years before he died. He died from cancer but was a medic in WWII under Patton, he took a bullet saving a soldier's life that was really young. He ran out into the middle of a cross fire to save him. Both lived of course. He has been dead a few years now, but the reason I started gardening, him and my mother were both avid gardeners, with both just passing away, gardening makes me feel I am sharing something they both enjoyed doing together.
joy

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Joy, What a wonderful, brave hero your Dad was. A true solider! That young solider was very blessed to have your Dad in the right place, at the right moment to save his life. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story with us.
I also feel that for most of us, our love of gardening was handed down to us by someone who touched our life at some point. We'll always treasure these special memories that were made in a garden.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

Pistol Pete is absolutely handsome. Gorgeous colours!

I'm sure he's welling with pride with his daughter's hard work in making him imortal!

Wonderful job, doll!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

what a pretty canna

Gorgeous colors! Thanks for sharing!
~APinchofCheer!~

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Teresa, I hope Pistol Pete grows well for you in BC. I would love to see a picture of him when he blooms for you next spring.

Smurf & Apinch, thank you both for your comments. Pistol Pete has been a joy to grow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.