Cheaper way to send small seeds.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

If your'e sending one or two packets of tiny seeds, this might work for you.

We installed bamboo floors in our house and the bamboo planks came wrapped in something similar to this:
http://www.nstatepackaging.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/32536/vpid/6636803/vpcsid/0/rid/130784

It's very thin and light but it seems to be enough to give small seeds protection against the post office machines. I have purchased other items that are wrapped in similar foam of varying thickness. I make a small envelope of foam and tape the seeds inside, then stick it in a regular envelope and mail it for 42¢. The foam envelope is neither lumpy or rigid or too thick for regular postage.

I would not use the foam for anything much bigger than tomato or basil seeds, or for large batches of seeds.

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

You know, I saved some of this stuff recently to try with seeds. Glad to know someone has had success with it.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I've saved some recently too. I'm going to try it today with some seeds I'm sending out.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

350 feet of it should be a lifetime supply ...LOL

Al

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Yeah, you would have to find a few friends to share it with.

I was experimenting with my Food Saver and I found that the lowest seal setting is perfect for sealing the edges of the foam packets. Just leave one side open to get the seed in :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

With tomato seeds I'm sending out in a 20 seed SASE offer this week, I'm making a sandwich with an index card and then taping the packet in the center of an envelope... somebody posted recently about taping it in the middle like that, explaining that the sorting machines grab the sides and don't generally manage to mangle the middle... made sense!

We'll see if it works out. I gave everybody the option of sending 1 stamp for a regular return envelope or 3 stamps if they wanted it protected in a bubble mailer. I'm getting mostly 1 stamp SASE requests so far, LOL.

(and if you didn't see the offer, I'm sorry but I closed it at noon today after 60-some packs were claimed.)

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Let us know the outcome. Almost 60 sounds like a sufficient trial size to have some confidence in the results.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I sometimes use a recycled foldover type Christmas card taped shut on three sides with seeds inside. They can be cut to size to fit business envelopes. The greeting might be a little stale, but really folks, we're trying to save a tree here as well as postage. This works well with small flat seeds such as tomatoes, but I wouldn't try with bulkier seeds. Stiff note cards like the ones I get from veterans organizations work well for this, too. Just make sure that the seeds are securely fastened inside, not sliding around loose.

Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.