Begonia ID #2

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I found the original of this begonia in an old warehouse building on the East Coast, growing in the dark, covered with fungus. Growing is perhaps an overstatement, nevertheless it survived. I rescued it, cut it back severely and bathed it in Immunox and It rewarded me with vigorous growth. It has gotten attacked by fungus a few times but it always responded well to a gentle Immunox treatment.

It grows on my patio and gets quite a bit of sun in the afternoon but only for a few hours, other than that it is in a semi-shade. It is a "cane" type, I presume, but it branches quite liberally on the top. It almost always flowers although rigt now it is not flowering. It is a prolific grower and I have stuck cuttings into various parts of my garden where it mostly took to growing.

I found a hybrid on Brad Thompson's site that looks very much like this one. He calls it Begonia Venona - I have not seen references to that name anywere else.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2009 8:33 PM

Thumbnail by nomosno
West Valley City, UT(Zone 6b)

"Venona" has more trout-like silver spots on the surface of the leaves and the back of the leaf is redder. http://www.kartuz.com/pc/20129/2BEG02/Begonia+Venona.html

Maybe you can find your cultivar on the Karutz site.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe 'Coral Sea' or 'Corallina de Lucerna' (simply put Lucerna)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.