Oakleaf, how best to grow?

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

Our local feed & seed has one, I've been coveting for a good 6 mos or more. It's about 3 1/2 to 4' tall in a 3 gallon pot. I've got one I'm trying to keep alive, but not sure if it'll make it. I think it's feet has been too wet & it gets too much sun. I'd read where these are fairly easy to grow & I love the pics I've seen. Thinking about putting this one in the edge of the woods. So I'm wondering who's growing them & what has worked best for you?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Oak leafs need dappled sun or you can place them where they get afternoon shade.... most important as the summer time approaches. Choose a location where the soil drains well too because they will die quickly if the soil stays wet due to drainage issues (the roots develop root rot). Some Quercifolias can get big so pay attention to the mature height and width in the plant label. 8' or 10' plants are common for some Oak Leaf Varieties. Not as wind tolerant as other macrophyllas so do not plant in locales close to the sea. Very nice fall foliage (Crimson Red or Purple). I can some times smell a tiny bit of fragrance from the blooms. Only some times though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.