White Clematis

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I have several clematis and have decided I want to add a couple of white ones this year. I already have a split rail fence by my patio for them to grow on. Can y'all give me some idea which white varieties have nice big blooms and bloom more than once? Cream color would be very nice too. Thanks.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I like Henryi - this isn't a very good picture of it and Ville de Lyon. Henryi's flowers are huge!

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

That is beautiful! Is yours planted in full sun? One problem I have is that I love all of the clematis vines but just don't have room to plant all of them :-{

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

This one gets mostly morning sun. Most of my clematis get too much sun, and don't look as lush as some of the other DGers', but they are so dramatic that I plant them anyway. I don't know too many people in our area that grow them.

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Poor souls--they just don't know what they are missing! They are my favorite vine because they are so gorgeous AND well behaved!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Not what I'd call a cream white, but 'Gillian Blades' is a large white flower that reblooms

Thumbnail by claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

One more picture - I got this at walm art for about $6, so it's probably not hard to find

Thumbnail by claypa
(Zone 4a)

I only have one....John Huxtable but the flowers were pretty big even in its first year in my garden.

Thumbnail by DawnLL
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Languinosa Candida in dappled shade.

Henryii is excellent as well and so is montana Grandiflora but that one is a wild grower.

Thumbnail by pirl
(Zone 4a)

Very pretty pirl...

It might just be me but I find the white ones don't look all that much different from one to another but then again I am not a pro or anything. I guess blooming time and sizes etc are different.....

Henryii shows its green stripes here.

Thumbnail by pirl

Montana Grandiflora.

Thumbnail by pirl
North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

Arctic Queen produced great double blooms on a trellis in full sun last year.
Thank you Silver Star!

Thumbnail by Chocolatemoose
Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Silver Star is where I went to look for whites and there are so many very pretty ones they offer. Arctic Queen and Montana Grandiflora are two I've considered. I also looked at Montana Wilsonii. This clematis will be getting the hot afternoon sun so I'm looking at the ones that say they can be planted anywhere. Seems like a contradiction in terms to have one named Arctic Queen that will grow in full sun :-} Thanks so much everyone for showing me your clematis--you've already helped me. It's hard to narrow it down to one when they are all so pretty.
Claypa--that's a very pretty one you have there. I'm more than a little scared of buying from Wal Mart. I have three clematis that were supposed to be Dr. Rupple, Nellie Mossier (sp?) and some other type--all three are purple varieties and I can't figure out what types they are :-{ Oh well, they're all pretty anyway and growing really well. If I buy from Wal Mart now, I make sure its in a pot with blooms on it!

Delaware, OH

consider alba luxurians for a vitacella size white, alabast for an early large flowered, guernsey cream is a very early large white that is easy to grow.
henryii is hardy but weak for me and always disappoints, so even tho i have a couple of them i never recommend it...jeaous of those of you that can grow it well. will post some photos.
also a very vigorous white that blooms earlier than terniflora (sweet autumn) with a larger small white bloom.
here is alba luxurians, a very interesting clematis indeed.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Delaware, OH

bad photo of alba luxurians. here is a better one

Delaware, OH

sorry the alba luxuirans photos are not so good.
the center of it is small and black and the outer sepals are frequently greenish.

here is a photo of paul farges, the small flowered very vigorous white mentioned above.

Delaware, OH

here is alabast, and early large flowered white. opens pale pistachio color, the fades to creamy white.

Delaware, OH

the photo above is fujisumi, not alabast. it is too early in the morning for me. but i have other whites i can post later to show you.

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

NatureLover...We have full sun up here for longer hours in the summer, but the heat is not nearly as intense as it would be in the Lower 48. I should have mentioned that.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Woah! Thanks for the heads-up Chocolatemoose--I didn't catch the fact that you live in Santaland, LOL! That will make a very big difference since I'm sure your temps never reach 100!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.