Brown patches on my Banana Shrub?

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

I have about 5 Banana Shrubs (Michelia figo) not all from the same place. One is even the Improved Banana Shrub (Michelia skinneriana) .

I have got weird looking brown patches on the leaves. It is only on the backside of the leaf, usually starting at the stem and then splotching in other places. The new leaves are unaffected, so I am thinking it is some type of mold or fungus that spreads other than a virus. It ends up turning the leaf yellow and dropping. All of my banana shrubs have it even though they are in different parts of my yard. I have not noticed it on any other plants. It doesn't effect the flowers, they still bloom and smell wonderful but I'd like to get rid of it.

THey are all in pots. I have tried spraying with neem but to no avail.

I dont' think it is an insect as I can't scratch the brown off, it doesn't wipe off (I tried with alcohol) it is as if it's embedded in the first layer of the leaf.

Any ideas of 1) what it is and 2) how to get rid of it?

Should I trim off all the leaves?

Thank you for any help

Thumbnail by astcgirl
Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Here you can see that it's under a layer of the leaf but hasn't gone through the other side yet.

Thumbnail by astcgirl
Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Here is the whole plant in the pot

Thumbnail by astcgirl
Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

I've been searching everywhere...I think I may have found the answer. Just incase anyone else has this problem.

Fungi : Leaf Spots

Leaf spots are caused by fungi or bacteria. Brown or black spots and patches may be either ragged or circular, with a water soaked or yellow-edged appearance. Insects, rain, dirty garden tools, or even people can help its spread.

Prevention and Control: Remove infected leaves when the plant is dry. Leaves that collect around the base of the plant should be raked up and disposed of. Avoid overhead irrigation if possible; water should be directed at soil level. For fungal leaf spots, use a recommended fungicide according to label directions.

Found on this website: http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_6918.html

I am going to do as suggested and see if it returns.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.