Anybody tried topsy turvy tomato planter or made their own?

Havelock, Canada

I was wondering if anyone has tried the topsy turvy tomato planter?

I was also wondering if anyone had any clever ideas how to make an upside down planter like the one advertised? Seems to me that it would be relatively easy to make. It can be used for more things than growing tomatoes too.

Any input would be appreciated.

I know that we have a great deal of clever people on DG so throw any ideas at me.

Thanks

Elaine and Otis

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i havent used them but wanted to try them but havent bought any and maybe making some might be a good idea but i wouldnt even know where to start but i would love to hear about anyones ideas of making some good luck and i will watch this thread to see if anyone answers your question
sorry i couldnt help

Havelock, Canada

moretz - I am going to find a few more places to post this question and will let you know if I get any answers.

I'll keep you posted.

Elaine and Otis

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

There are some instructions on the web, if you google. Here's one to start: http://www.ehow.com/how_2280899_upside-down-tomato-plant-holder.html

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Havelock, Canada

Thanks so much. I will definitely check it out as soon as Bones is over and will keep you posted.

Earthling has made an offer to send me one for the postage. I know if I saw it I could use my reverse design mechanism that seems to be built into my genetic makeup and create others.

Thanks again ^_^

Hugs Elaine and Otis

Havelock, Canada

I copied these instructions. Looks downright easy.

How to Grow Upside Down Tomato Plants

Rate: (0 Ratings)

Ripe right off the vine tomatoes can be yours with a couple hours of effort and simple items found around your home and local hardware store.

* 5 Gallon plastic Bucket with handle and locking lid.
* Two paper coffee filters.
* Dremel or Drill with a hole cutting tool.
* 40# of a good quality potting soil.
* Small sharp knife.
* Tomato plant.

Step1
Thoroughly clean out the five gallon bucket, turn it over and cut a circular hole approximately 2.5 inches in diameter in the center bottom of the bucket. Place a wet coffee filter (stops it from sliding)in the bottom of the bucket. Cut the same size hole in the center of the lid.
Step2
Fill the bucket to the top with potting soil and place the second coffee filter on the soil in the center of the bucket so it covers the hole in the lid. Secure the lid and carefully turn the bucket over. The bottom of the bucket is now the top and facing you. The coffee filters keep the soil in the bucket despite the holes.
Step3
Bottom of bucket with plant at 3 weeks Bottom of bucket with plant at 3 weeks With the knife, cut a small slit in the coffee filter in the bottom of the bucket. Carefully remove the tomato plant from it's container and feed the root structure through the hole in the bottom of the bucket which is now the top. Water the plant, and place in a sunny area for one week, continue to water as necessary.
Step4
Tomato plant and stand Tomato plant and stand Once the tomato' s root structure has developed (about one week), you can turn the bucket over and hang it from a pole or other sturdy structure from the handle (important as each bucket will weight approximately 40lbs). The tomato plant will grow from what is now the bottom of the bucket. Water and feed the plant through the hole in the lid.
Step5
Tomatoes at 4 weeks. Tomatoes at 4 weeks. Tomatoes need full sun, however the actual fruit also needs protection from the sun. This system improves air circulation around the plant, reduces diseases and loss from insects and contact with the ground, while providing shade for the tomatoes.

Hope this helps.

Happy Gardening
Elaine and Otis

West Warren, MA

My brother-in-law (outlaw) tried this and was not thrilled with it.
This is a very HEAVY planter to hang and needs daily watering, same as a hanging flowering plant.
Am going to try to plant tomatoes top of a wall and let them hang, most readings of tomatoes say they are supposed to actually crawl along the ground.
Wish me luck!!!

Havelock, Canada

geraldine - good luck!

All good points you brought up. I am planning on using the old - line the planter with a diaper to help keep the moisture in and using watering spikes.

Not as easy to do as it initially sounded, as is most great things.

Let us know how the wall works

Hugs Elaine and Otis

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.