Happy Birthday Zuzu!!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Have a great day, Zuzu! Hope you're having great weather. (Of course you are - it's California!) Please pop in on this forum more often. You always provide a great spice to our soup.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy Birthday Zuzu. Hope you have a luvly, luvly day.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Happy birthday from me and the cats.

Thumbnail by AYankeeCat
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Hiya, kids. Thank you very much for the good wishes.

Spicy soup sounds good today, Victor. Contrary to your expectations and my wishes, the weather here is hideous: windy, rainy, cold, ...the whole enchilada. It's the price of having a birthday in February, I guess. There was a nursery outing in the works, but I'll be housebound instead. It brings back memories. When I was growing up in Tokyo, a snowstorm invariably would pile several feet of snow against our front door on the morning of my birthday. Luckily, the neighbors always dug us out eventually.

Keep up a great day! Keep coming back!

Thumbnail by

Wow - is heavy snow common in Tokyo?! Bummer on today's weather. Hope it improves.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Heavy snow is only common in Tokyo on my birthday. We lived there for three years and I never was able to leave my house a single time on my birthday. If you've seen Japanese houses, though, you'll know it doesn't take that much snow to block the inhabitants inside. I think our house was the size of my present garage.

It was distressing because I went to the Sacred Heart Convent school in Tokyo, and the nuns were high-born French ladies who were haughty and contemptuous of everything we did. I had heard they were nice to people on their birthdays, so I was always anxious to experience it, but I never did. Maybe they never were nice. It might have been an urban legend.

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Happy Happy Birthday, Zuzu.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you, thank you, Sharon.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

just saw this thread now... a flower for the next day!

Thumbnail by onewish1
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

What a beautifully crisp photo, Allison. Coincidentally, Picotee Begonia tubers were among the things I bought yesterday on my birthday nursery tour. I love Begonias.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

::: clapping :::: I picked a good one then!

begonias are my next favorite after the coleus

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I was away for a couple days, so missed this. Happiest of birthdays, Zuzu, from South Jersey.
Did you ever visit Ojiya in the Niigata Prefecture? Beautiful area. There was a large koi park there.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Jan. I'm not sure whether I was ever in Ojiya. I was a child and went wherever I was taken by various adults, usually without knowing the names of the places but only knowing them by landmarks or by the names of friends who lived there.

My family always had a passion for beaches, for instance, so I remember going to dozens and dozens of beach towns in Japan, but I've either forgotten their names or never knew them at all. I only remember Kamakura by name because I spent so much time at a ballet school there. The rest I only know as the place where I learned I was allergic to octopus, the place where my sister was attacked by a jellyfish, the place with the best shells and coral, etc.

I wish I could do it all over again, but as an adult, with a true appreciation for what I'm seeing and experiencing.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I also hope to go again someday with my son's family. I enjoyed it immensely.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Zuzu, missed your birthday, but I try to never miss seeing your roses. Hope you had a wonderful B-day. I am adding a few new ones that I ordered from S & W GREENHOUSES after following your lead. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Patti --

I'm so glad I happened upon that sale and I'm glad you ordered from them too. Your photo is stunning.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Zuzu,
Belated Happy Birthday!
Thank you for all you give to this website!

Some day, I would love to listen to your life story. You have had the most interesting life!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Dave -- tried and true pal Dave,

Am I getting a gold watch? Your post sounds like a toast at a retirement dinner. Thank you for the compliment.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Zuzu - Happy Birthday! Guess what? I actually have some rugosa rose seeds germinating!

Anyway - may your gardens exceed your wildest expectations ^_^

Thumbnail by Seandor
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow! That's exciting! I've never tried growing them from seed, but I've heard they bloom when they're still very small. Please post pictures when they do.

So how's retirement, Zu?!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well . . . first I have to keep the seedlings alive long enough to plant outside . . . ^_^

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Victor, I doubt that I'll ever really retire. California's too expensive to even consider quitting work, but I do now qualify for the full amount of social security. What a concept: free money every month. Not that it's that free. I've been paying in for 49 years, and double for the last 35, in fact, because my government employer insists on calling me self-employed.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Seandor, someone posted pictures of a sweet little rose seedling once in the rose forum. It was very young, very tiny, and still living in the house when it started blooming, so it might not take that long to see results.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

You mean the watch hasn't arrived yet??

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Judging by recent experience, I'd say it was misdelivered. I received a piece of mail last week that was for someone else -- same house number, different street. I put it back in the box marked "Please redeliver." They did. They redelivered it to my house two days later.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL

That's why the Postmaster General makes $850K!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Should have said "deliver correctly".

They might have just thought you were strange.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I thought the wages paid for the Postmaster General was bizzare! How can he/she make more money that the Prez?????

Does it seem to you that wages on the upper end are totally out of whack with reality?

Honestly, why not just hire some young MBA graduate for $70,000? I mean - what does the postmaster general have to do? I doubt he/she keeps the books - so they run postie meetings?

Postal routes are determined at the local level. . . . ummmmmm . . . maybe they pick the images for stamps.

I heard he forgets to use zip codes.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

UPS is a quasi-private business venture. He/she would make more than the President. Its a big job and you have to worry about who is going to go postal.

You mean USPS, not UPS. Move your 'S'!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Soop!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yeah for UPS!!!.... we are a UPS family by the way... Randy, my dad, his dad and his step dad all work or worked for them

before his dad passed away.. my dad worked with him in the same hub... and knew Randy as a child.. my dad almost passed out when I brought him home and he is the spitting image of his dad... felt like he was back from the grave... needless to say Randy is the only guy I brought home that my father liked

He delivered! That's cool. My UPS guy is fantastic. The mailman and FedEx too. They all treat my plants very well.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Mine occasionally go missing. I suspect my mail carrier must have a fabulous garden.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the fedex is not so good here... they busted up every package I received last year

our UPS guy is good to us and we just got a new mailman can't comment on that yet

Nice perk.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.