Wanted: Rare edibles......

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

I've looked everywhere in the universe, but cannot find these...

Phillipino ubi/ube (purple sweet potato used to make ie cream, etc.)

Louisiana heirloom strawberries (Tangi cultivar, as well as 2 others can't remember name - possibly related to heirloom Sicilian strawberries)

Deepest, dark orange-red, moist Louisiana sweet potatoes (not the currently most popular varieties, but older tastier)

I have all seed for edibles for trade, hundreds of tomatoes, peppers, etc. All kinds of other veggies, hundreds of all rare varieties. Let me know the type you are looking for... I am even willing to double, triple, etc. amount of seed I send you for these items above.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

I can't help you Luzianna, but wonder if you've ever tried red garnet yams. They are far sweeter and tastier than any sweet potatoes I've ever had and sound a lot like what you describe.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Have you looke dhere at Gourmet Seed International yet.
http://www.gourmetseed.com

Maybe they would have it or know somebody who did.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6b)

Do you know of a sorce fo the red garnet yams? I have not been able to find any.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Ube seed here http://www.michaels4gardens.com/

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, really want to try these.

Mamawk, I haven't grown red garnet yams, have only bought and eaten them. Just did a search as I was curious, and below is an article I found, so if you can find some of the yams, you can probably grow them. I don't see them very often. If you live near a Whole Foods Market, you can probably get them there. Here's part of what I found:

I grow my own sweet potato slips. Slips that you grow, will grow better than what you buy and be fresher.

The growing process is the same for all types of sweet potatoes.

Poke a toothpick about an inch from the bottom. Then cross another toothpick. Put sweet potato in a glass or jar with the toothpicks on the ledge, holding the potato upright. Make sure you fill the glass or jar with water to the top. I then put this jar in my kitchen window. Fill with water as is needed, to keep the bottom of the potato in water. Once a week, dump out water and rinse the jar and potato roots off. Then put clean water in the jar. The plant will start putting on runners (on the part of the potato that is not in water). Once these runners get to be about 4 inches long, snap them off right next to the potato (a little bit of potato usually comes off with these runners). Put these runners in another glass jar with water and roots will soon form. Keep doing this until you have the number of plants you want.

I've been doing this for years. I always have a bumper crop of sweet potatoes.

But, sweet potatoes are a warm season crop. Usually, you start your sweet potato in the kitchen window around the end of February. By May, you will have enough plants ready to grow.

I live in Alabama and sweet potatoes are usually planted in the ground around mid May. The ground has to be good and warm. I hill up a raised bed. Plant my slips in the center of the bed about 2 feet apart. I dig a hole, fill it with water, put slip in the hole with leaves just barely sticking out of the top of the ground. I then mulch my plants. I put a doubled sheet of newspaper on top of the ground and put mulch about 4 to 6 inches deep around plants. I mulch the entire sweet potato bed. You have to make sure the bed is good and wet before you put the mulch down. The mulch will keep the plants wet enough. You do not want the ground soggy or the sweet potatoes that are growing, will rot. Rarely do I have to water them again. Just check occasionally to make sure the ground is still moist...especially if you are having drought. During drought times, you will probably have to water them again several times, until the ground stays wet enough. You will have to dig the sweet potatoes before it frosts. Frost will make them rot. So, they have to be dug before frost hits the plants. I dig them up and let them air dry for a few days in the sun. Then, store or put up, however you choose.

Sounds complicated but they are easy to grow!

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

perenniallyme Would sweet potatoes work under straw like regular tators..do ya think I want to try sweet tators this year..Just a thought about the straw I have never tried it on any tators.I have been reading about here at DG .Figured I give it try this year

Tubby

Tubby, like I said, I've never grown potatoes of any kind. (I just don't have room to.) I was just passing on the info I found. There must be a vegetable forum you could ask on. Good luck!

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

perenniallyme Thanks I 'll do that

Tubby

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6b)

I appreciat the information. I will try to scout some out, Thanks

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I have a friend checking on the Philippine ube if you are still looking for it. How much do you need?

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

Yes, seems the other link is another sweet potato, but I might try a few of those, too. The guy told me the ube is an actual yam, not a sweet potato. Guess I would need to know how it grows. Probably would plant 100' or less to try to see what they do. Regular sweet potatos are planted in April - don't know about these.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Dmailing ya

This message was edited Feb 17, 2009 2:49 PM

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

Yes, definitely. Looked everywhere for these & growing info.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kawonkamish(Greetings),

Here is some information about growing yams, I hope it helps. http://nzdl.sadl.uleth.ca/cgi-bin/library?e=d-00000-00---off-0fnl2.2--00-0--0-10-0---0---0prompt-10---4-------0-1l--11-en-50---20-about---00-0-1-00-0-0-11-1-0utfZz-8-00&a=d&cl=CL1.1&d=HASH57bb07c58692d262dfd32c.5.4.3

Aquene(Peace),
Moe/WautuckquesSochepo(SnowRabbit)
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.