February Orchids in 2009 part 2

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

As Ursula gently bows out....:-)

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Rene, better thank Ursula first. I can hear her foot tapping...

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Kathy, lovely Miltonia. I think I'll add it to my want list.

Jim

Cool.
Learning my new program and working on a report for work. I feel stupid!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Brilliant yellow on that oncidium Ursula. Congrats.

Jim

O K , sorry Ursula & thanks!!!

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

I can't get really good pics of these in the orchid case, but I tried.

NOID Phal.

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Close up. Kinda pretty, huh?

NOID Phal.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

This one is really the same color all over, the color of the lip. Kinda of a deep maroon color,

NOID on this either.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hmm, looks like a pretty good pic to me? Nice Phal.

Rene, ( Lorine?) no problem.

Thanks, Jim.

Donna, we overlapped. Looking pretty!!

This message was edited Feb 25, 2009 10:42 PM

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

My DH liked this one. It wouldn't have been my choice. So it is his Valentine's Day present.

NOID Phal.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

HappyJack - by "orchid case," do you mean you grow your orchids in something like a terrarium/glass enclosure? I can see the reflection of the light in the glass in your photos. Is the case closed with glass on all sides? Very interesting growing method that I've not heard of previously.

Jeremy

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

My Paph Julius is just starting to spike. This is my most treasured orchid, as it was given to me by an older member of our society, because he was so proud of the display I did last year, and of winning the AOS trophy. He was the founding member. He passed away in the summer.
Anyway, this is a multifloral, anyone have any idea how long I will wait to see blooms??
Thanks.
Janet

Thumbnail by JanetOS

Closer pic of buds.

Thumbnail by JanetOS
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Donna, you take nice pics! I love the close up.

How long does it take for those buds? I don't know - but I sure like the anticipation.

As Kathy pointed out, my Sedirea japonica opened its first spike. ( there are 2 :-) )
I have three plants, two are potted, but the mounted one is the only one blooming. The others look fine, perhaps they will do something one of these days.
The wonderful and pretty scent is somewhat lemony, I love it.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

The spike -

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And the plant "in habitat" -

Thumbnail by RUK
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Janet, it will be a while yet. That spike gets quite long but I can tell you it's a beauty!

Thanks, Todd.
I was thinking that it might take a month, maybe two??

Here is that noid Den in full bloom!!!

Thumbnail by
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Jeremy,
No that's not glass. My DH found some wooden panels thrown out at the dump, made an enclosure with open back. We had some very heavy vinyl that is used for covering tables, seat covers & etc. It was long enough to go from the front of the case, up over the top and down the back side. We have plastic storage boxes with gravel in them, a small fountain, grow lights, thermometer/humidity gauge and everything is on a timer. The case is painted all white to reflect light and the back panel is an old quilt to protect the plants from the cold window behind the case in the winter time.

I think I will wish for a new larger case to be placed here in the den. It will include a small (computer like) fan for a little air movement. Also thinking about maybe being able to use Rino lining to paint the bottom of the case so we won't have to use containers for humidity and as catch basins.

Donna

Left side of Orchid Case

This message was edited Feb 26, 2009 5:08 PM

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Right side of Orchid Case

Where is Happy Jack? I go to Tucson!!!

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Rene,

We're in North central AZ in the National forest. We have severe winter storms at times, so have to have our orchids indoors. Those of you in FL are really lucky to have milder weather in order to grow orchids outside.

Donna

NOID Phal.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Finally...a third Orchid has bloomed for me - thought I remembered this one's scent being similar to a tuberose...hopefully by tomorrow, I'll be able to tell. First a close up of the Cattleya walkeriana v. alba 'Pendentive' AM/AOS bloom

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

And both blooms together...

Thumbnail by Chantell
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Chantell,

Those are so pretty. Let us know if it does smell like tuberoses.

Donna

Walkerianas are my favorite cattleyas beside laelias. I only have a tiny one.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Are most of them fragrant or does it differ with each of them?

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Chantell, I would think they probably all are fragrant - since I have never read anybody mentioning that theirs wasn't scented.
Hmm strange logic :-)
I have some hybrids with walkeriana and every one of them smells nice too.

Here is another one which smells very pretty
Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Bluebird'
I have a few small plants of Lou Sneary and I love them all. These are compact plants and won't take up much room.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

How small is that?

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And one more flower....

Thumbnail by RUK
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Very interesting setup for your orchids, Donna! You sure get beautiful results from it. In my opinion, bigger is always better when it comes to providing space for orchids. LOL

I happened to have dinner with a group of friends this past Wednesday and a local florist that I had not previously met was part of the group this week. He is the scoundrel that I had heard mentioned that buys live orchids plants, cuts the spikes off for floral arrangements, then tosses out the plants. I scolded and chastised him soundly and said to call me whenever he had orchid plants to throw away, but I don't know that he will bother. His comment was that if he saved every orchid plant he used as a source of flower spikes, he would have 15,000 orchid plants. Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, but I told him I would gladly tend to that many orchids. I may go camp out by the dumpster at his business location and dive for orchid plants on a regular basis.

Jeremy

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't blame you, Jeremy. Have fun.

Hap

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ohhh dumpster diving what fun, fun!!
Ursula - OMG those pics are stunning!!! And what a beautiful flower - so delicate in appearance!!
Donna - today I'm getting more of a lily type fragrance...will be able by tomorrow to know for sure...very pretty scent!!

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Jeremy,

Dang, if we lived closer to you, my DH would be right there in the bottom of the dumpster handing the orchid plants up to you! No, on second thought, maybe he would want to keep them. Then he said, "Well, we could share?" LOL

In the 50's, he had built us a 8'x12' greenhouse for our orchids. We sold the blooms to a local florist. She requested that we provide her with Catts in white with yellow throats, so we ordered 50 thumb pots of Catt. Bow Bells. As it turned out, we decided later to raise Siamese cats, the orchids had to go, traded them off for a '54 Chrysler (with a 331c.i. Hemi) and the greenhouse became a cattery.

Donna

DD sitting on bench in greenhouse, 1959.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful pics Ursula.

Hap, my datura seeds arrived today! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Jim

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank you Chantell and Jim!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

As this month comes to a close -

a second bud opened on my Laelia lundii x Epidendrum longipetalum. I had bought it exactly one year ago with a fading flower. So this is flowering right on schedule. If you compare the flowering habit of this hybrid to that of Laelia lundii -
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6145729
(see the new growth in front, hopefully those are buds too)
if you see leaves on a new growth of Laelia lundii, it will NOT have produced a bloom on that growth and will NOT flower that season. This hybrid grows a regular little pseudobulb with leaves and the spike emerges from the center of the leaves.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

and another view -

I found the blooms to be delicately and prettily scented!

Thumbnail by RUK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.