February Orchids in 2009 part 2

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

That Miltoniopsis is delightful! I have one in spike (a white one) at the moment but most are half-way through their growth cycle so they will hopefully bloom in summer.

I have several phals blooming in my office. I'll get pics and post tomorrow.

O K I posted to the other thread so here are my "tree" orchids just starting to bloom. I will have about 45 or so in the trees of this one

Thumbnail by

And anoter view

Thumbnail by
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Reminds me of Henrietta Japhet. Lovely!
Den. victoria-reginae 'Mountain Midnight' x cyanocentrum is open today. It has been in bud all winter in the cool room.

Thumbnail by boojum

It's a tiny one in contrast to that white catt!

Thumbnail by boojum

Love this dendrochilum-just keeps getting better.

Thumbnail by boojum

Closer.

Thumbnail by boojum

And after 5 months one of the coelogyne lawrenceana buds is exposed. The other spike blasted. The flower is sposta be 6" across. I believe it!!

Thumbnail by boojum
Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

Zygonisia Cynosure 'Blue Birds'

Thumbnail by DaylilySLP
Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

PHRAG. Cardinale 'Birchwood'

Thumbnail by DaylilySLP
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Dayliliy, how wonderful!! I especially love the Zygonisia. I bought a small plant last year, but so far no repeat yet of any 'Blue Birds'.

Rene, what awesome Tree-Orchids. Gorgeous Catts!! I am glad you "moved them" here.

And Kathy - the wenzellii is a cutie! And not in the plant files yet....
- and interesting shape on the Den. victoria-reginae 'Mountain Midnight' x cyanocentrum.

Where's Todd? I'm terrible at entering things into plantfiles except the photos. I would wait on the Dendrochilum wenzelii since it has spikes all over that plant yet and there will be better pics coming.

I also have no Blue Birds this year. Beautiful Phrag, DaylilySLP! Do you have the Zygonisia in a warm room? Since three of us have it, we can do an experiment. I have mine in the cool room with my Zygoneria so we'll see if that helps or hinders the progress.

Ursula, the Den. v-r x looks like my Den v-r with smaller flowers.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had bought a tiny plant of Potinara Red Heart 'Neptune' in 2006 at a visit to Silva Orchids. It was so small, I planted it into a half coconut shell. It made it to blooming size and this week we have the first 3 blooms. There are a bit crowded on the spike, but - let's see the next bloom. I love the color!

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

and an "in-situ" look

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

and the flower - as mentioned, there is no room for the flowers to open flat.

Thumbnail by RUK

Wonderful color and I love the coconut shell!

More bloom on my Yellow tones! More yet to open!

Thumbnail by
Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Rene,
Beautiful colors on the yellow, and I love the look of the one on the oak tree. Sure wish it would make it through our cooler winters here. I guess yours did ok in the colder temps you had this year also????
I love the coconut shell, also. I always wanted to put an orchid in one.
Janet

i really like the form of both the white and the gold Rene. I have always liked the trumpety catts best. Thanks for posting the tree here too.

Janet, I wrapped Chrismas lights around them & covered them for the worst cold. I have about 17 open in the trees & many more to open. They smell so good!!
I hope the real cold is over with here.
Ruk I love the color of the Red Heart.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Rene - how much winter protection do you provide for the "tree orchids?" Do you bring them in on the nights when we have freezing temperatures? We may have discussed this earlier in the thread, but my mind can't hold info that long. LOL

Here is perhaps a better closeup photo of the orchid I gave Christina (and myself) for Valentine's Day. I found a rack of the out-of-flower cymbidiums for half-price (@ $12 and $17 for larger Cymbidiums) at another Lowe's, but I resisted the urge to buy anymore until I see how the one I bought does for me. If the Cymbidiums would have had a cultivar name tag I.D., I would probably have been more inclined to buy some, but in the out-of-flower stage, I didn't know what I might get.

Edited to add: thanks for the info on winter protection, Rene (I was typing while you were answering LOL) My Cymbidium closeup is still fuzzy. I gotta read that instruction manual someday for the camera.

Jeremy

This message was edited Feb 18, 2009 1:10 PM

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener
Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Rene,
How cold did you actually get where you are?? We got to around 27 possibly a little lower for a few hours and I think we got that about twice.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Rene, that Yellow is soooo beautiful! When we were first growing orchids, there were no Catt x hybrids to be found.

This is as close as I can get for a yellow orchid right now. I have no idea what this Dend. name is, a friend received it as a gift. Every year, I get her castoffs. 8^) Sorry it's so blurry, but I'm not too steady with a camera at times. 8^(

This message was edited Feb 18, 2009 9:47 PM

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice yellows!!

Janet, it got down to 24F The problem was it stayed there for about 8 hours, which is highly unusual for us! When we get real cold it usually does not last very long.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Haven't had much to post lately but here are some of the phals in my office. This one is a NOID

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

another NOID

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Sogo Pearl

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Gloria Faye

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and Harmony Rose

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Turnerville, GA(Zone 7a)

Don't know the name of this one as I inherited it from my mother in law when she passed 10 years ago. It bloomed for the first time last year, and has even more blooms this time. If anyone knows the name, I'd love to hear it.... It has a wonderful scent.

Thumbnail by suzmyers

Great phals Todd! And suzmyers, love that cattleya. It is picture perfect (no idea on a name though). I love that den, HJM! I'm partial to pale yellow. Maxillaria variabilis has one bloom and one bud.

Thumbnail by boojum
Jacksonville, FL

Todd.. your first NOID phal looks like my Sun Beauty

Thumbnail by chubbydoll
Jacksonville, FL

and an artsy shot from the blooms earlier this year

Thumbnail by chubbydoll
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Todd, the Gloria Faye is gorgeous! What a pure clear yellow. I'm jealous!

My DH bought me this one for my BD 4 years ago. On the way out of the store, a gust of wind caught it and broke it off. It had to ride home with us in my water bottle. It did bloom again from the stub.

Donna

NOID

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

There are so many unlabelled phals coming out of Asia these days that it is next to impossible to label them....most were never properly registered and in some cases, even the parentage is not recorded. Really too bad, but that's how we get $10 orchids...mass production!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Such gorgeous Phals, the Gloria Faye is wonderful! ( I wish I would do better with Phals) And Todd, nice piccies too!
Neat artsy shot, Cd.

You know, going to Orchid Shows and looking at the beautifully grown and bloomed to perfection Orchids at the Japan Orchid Show, what always amazes me how perfectly all flowers on a stem/spike are timed to bloom together. These growers have my greatest respect. In principle I understand how it is done, but....
Case in point - on a small scale of course - is my Baptistonia echinata. It starts spiking when I bring it inside in the Fall and it takes all Winter for the spikes to mature and I never get to see all flowers open at the same time for a nice display.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

That was a small "excerpt", here is the whole plant with numerous spikes. Some blooms have dropped already, while some buds are only half open.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

and another look at the cute little Bees

Thumbnail by RUK

Mine haven't opened but you are so right-it's like a miracle to see all those different orchids blooming in peak at the same time!!! They look like gladiolas or something!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.