how to plant cinnamon fern

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought this at Walmart. Normally I don't buy bare root plants at Walmart because I've heard they aren't very good or they are mislabeled. But I've been looking for one of these forever, so I took a chance. I was surprised to find 4 huge roots in fairly good shape, but I don't know how to plant them. They are fairly long and don't have an obvious top or bottom. Or do I plant them horizontally? And the directions say to plant when the soil is 50 degrees. I don't have a soil thermometer, so can I make my best guess based on air temp?

Thanks for your answers.

Silverfluter~hi, great screen name BTW!
how bout a kitchen theremometer, or just plant first thing in the morning, while ground id still cool from previous night. Lots of loose composted much mixed in with soil and the then tamp down gentle and Evenly. water to get are pockets out like any other perennial. I always plant mying in the morning, unless I find a sad one lost at the Garden shop in midsommer on the close out racks! those plant at night. so they recover slowly from shock of near death at the hands of people in the centers...Walmarts plants can be mislabled but if you get them the first day they arrive they are not that bad of condition occasionally...lol. Lots of mulch on top of base of plant too after its warming up to keep it happy~especially if you are in a dryer area of TX.
Enjoy
:D

Thanks for you answer Fernman and glad you like my name.:) These ferns are bare root, so I'm trying to figure out which way is up, or maybe sideways is up. One of the roots looks like maybe it should be layed down horizontally.

make sure that the crown (top of root bottom of fronds -if there are any- look closely for new ones unfurled) is above the ground when ya plant them!~rootball should be easy to ID by the way they were packaged (?) do you have photos? if not, place in soil loosely with LOTS of loose compost and water a lot, making sure its drains completely everyday, watering and watch for changes... Did you order through the mail?

Ok, I finally got my camera back from my son. Here are the pictures of the fern.

Thumbnail by silverfluter

That root is about 5 inches long I think and there are 4 of them in the bag.

You can see where the fiddleheads are starting to open up? Just plant opposite that end in the soil up to the Bottom of the fiddleheads on a warm nite. cover up about one inch with loose compost towards the top of those fiddleheads. Pack the damp soil tigght but not HARD. and water well.

unless mistaken there are 2 fiddleheads...i zoomed in with the picture. If not then sidways but those look like baby fronds to me.

Hmmm. What's the difference between fiddleheads and fronds?

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Fiddleheads are just the new growth of fronds unfurling.

Doug

fiddlehead in process of becoming frond...your fronds will be light or bright green most likely... darkening as they get more light.

Thumbnail by

Oh ok. It's just the shape that makes it a fiddlehead.

Thanks so much for your answers. I almost planted them last weekend, but I got busy diggin' a new lily bed. Got it done! So this weekend if it warms up I'll do the ferns. We are getting some much needed rain and it's pretty chilly too. I'm getting to the age where I don't much like temps lower than my age.:)

warm amd the damp from rain will help the ferns as long as there is enough air moving thru the area...perfect planting, unless your warm is 95 degrees, lol...my hands ache some days too & i am only 44!

Well the temp when I woke up this am was about 38 and the wind was blowing about 15 mph. Don't think it ever got above 45. That's just way to cold and wet for me to be digging anywhere. I used to do that when I was 44 and it didn't bother me at all. I'm 55 now and if I tried that today, it would take hours for me to get warmed up again. The arthritis in my fingers hurts more when it's cold too. I am so lucky I live in a mild climate. I have lived in much colder places, but I wasn't into gardening then. Should I wait til the night temps are in the 50's?

Ideally i would think to. They are tropical by nature, but if they start to look dry...well remember that they are supposed to be in the ground and that they are not air plants. I would try to get them in asap unless your ground is still getting frosty...it would be, to me, worth one day of sore hands to not lose the four ferns...
food for thought

Yes, I've been worried about them staying in that bag. I have some sphagnum moss. I could use that to keep them moist.

i would do that~the moss can work but you don't want to wait too long...

Dallas, TX

A Fernman, How cool! it would be nice if you dropped over to the Ferncoop and give us some pointers on planting. We got six we are dealing with.
Japanese Painted Fern
Maiden Hair
Lady fern
Cinnamon
Ostrich Fern
Hay Scented Fern
I am mostly interested in what the Hay Scented. It looks like a long string with a lot of roots I think. Is there any special way to plant that one? Does it matter how you put it in the ground?
I just bought Mickel's book, but I dont think it will get here before mine dry out. lol

Will look at coop my name is fromlove of not schooling in. Lots of experience though...the long string with roots should be kept as damp as possible with good circulation untill planted. Most all ferns love the same types of soils and additives, what works with one will most likele work with another unless it is in an entirely different family or group like a Staghorn...is there a picture on the co-op?

Dallas, TX

yes there is pictures. Thanks for the info on the Hay Scented. Dmail

Oh, speaking of staghorn fern, I have questions about those too. Should I start another thread about that one in case somebody else needs to know?

Usually a good Idea as some people have a great deal of experience with those and they are very different and specific in their needs and care...They would see the new topic/thread then.
cheers

kitchener, Canada

Does anyone know what is eating my cinnamon fern?
There are leaves chewed off randomly on the fronds.
The ferns are planted near AC/furnace vent. We arn't sure what
is in the exhaust if anything.

Thumbnail by labtech

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.