Prunella heal-all

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

I have this herb growing in my garden (took me a while to identify it, but the description fits to a T).

What I would like to know is what do I do with it? This is supposed to be a medicinal herb. I've heard the leaves help with healing cuts, but what else is it good for? Do I dry the leaves and make tea out of them or what?

One thing for sure, I'm moving it! It looks entirely too much like the mint plant right beside it. I had to break off leaves and smell them several times before I finally convinced myself it wasn't mint. ;o)

Lyles, TN

JanetR~ Heal-all is a mint family plant, (you know- square stems, opposite leaves, tiny flowers in spikes and tiny seeds) The leaves dried for tea is how I use it. Or blend it with sage, it's good that way. Sweeten w/ honey.

The main use for self heal in times gone by was in a poultice four wounds. It was often used by carpenters for injuries. An ointment made with rose oil annointed on the temples are supposed to cure headaches, both Culpepper and Gerard had much praise for this plant as does Mrs Grieve.

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/s/selfhe40.html

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.