x cupressocyparis lawsonia

Seattle, WA

Hello,
I am much impressed with the size attained by the tree that is a natural croos between the leyland cypress and the alaskan yellow cedar called X cupressocyparis lelandii, commonly known as the leland cypress.

Would it grow at 6,500 feet in alkaline coil with 12-14 inches of rainfall a year. Would it flourish?

Thanks,

Geneso

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Spellcheck: leylandii; Leyland Cypress. It is a hybrid between Nootka Cypress (Cupressus nootkatensis, formerly Chamaecyparis nootkatensis), and Monterey Cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa). Sorry, no, it won't like the conditions you describe.

Resin

Hawthorne, FL(Zone 8b)

Leyland cypress is ubiquitous and robust here, a hundred feet above sea level, zone 8b, hot damp wet summers and dry occasionally-frosty winters. With acid soil void of nutrients apart from phosphate, too. A nursery I visited near here ten years ago had ten thousand of them in pots -- they grew nothing else -- and was tolerably profitable, but they are out of fashion now.

Alkaline soil and altitude and so little rainfall... must agree with Resin. No. Maybe I just don't appreciate that tree because it is common here to the point of banality.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.