Euonymus scale

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Last summer I was given a few new, small golden euonymus.
I didn't know anything about them and just took them basically because they were free. Maybe that wasn't the brightest idea.

I noticed little white things all over two of them later on in the summer, but didn't really worry about it. I looked at them again today and these white things are still there. Someone told me they are scale.

How can I get rid of this? The plants don't appear to be damaged, but I didn't do a complete inspection. What can I do?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Use a dormant oil spray before bud break. Temperature has to be above 40° and below 70°, ideally on a clear day when the temperature will stay above 50° for 24 hrs. It has to be done before the buds begin to swell.

What's your weather like now? I know spring has begun for you. If the buds are breaking it's too late.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I don't see any bud snapple. Our weather is completely up and down. Today it's supposed to be 56, but low 38. Last week it was in the high 60's but low's were in the 30's also.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

If you're absolutely certain the buds are not swelling then it's safe and the right time to use a dormant oil spray.
Here is the exact treatment regimen from Clemson University Extension:

"Euonymus Scale (Unaspis euonymi): This is the most common and most serious pest found on euonymus. The protective armor covering of an adult female euonymus scale is dark, oyster-shaped and about 1/16-inch in length. Adult males are very small, winged insects that leave their narrow, white armored covering for mating. The eggs laid by the female are yellow and found beneath the female's covering. When the eggs hatch, the crawlers (immature forms) move around before forming their own protective covering. Males typically outnumber females. With a heavy infestation, clusters of white males can be easily seen on leaves and stems. Initial symptoms of euonymus scale infestation are yellow spots on leaves. With a heavy infestation, branches and possibly the entire plant may die.

Prevention & Control: The following Euonymus species are resistant to euonymus scale: E. alatus 'Compactus' and E. fortunei 'Acutus.' Consider using these in new plantings. Euonymus scale is difficult to control. With light infestations, scale can be scraped off by hand and destroyed. Pruning out heavily infested branches is helpful. Avoid using insecticides unless the plant is very valuable and in serious danger from scale. Insecticides will often kill the naturally occurring enemies of scale.

Adult scales are relatively protected from insecticides by their waxy covering. Their immature forms, called crawlers, are susceptible, however. Horticultural oil (Bonide All Season Spray Oil, Ferti-lome Scalecide, Green Light Horticultural Oil Spray, or Ortho Volck Oil Spray) can be used as a dormant spray before new growth begins in the spring. It kills many adults and eggs by smothering them. Spray again when crawlers are present in the spring."

The full link:
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/shrubs/hgic2054.html

Danville, IN

I've given up with euonymus because they inevitably get scale. They just don't do well in the Midwest. I've yet to see ANY planting of the golden or white variegated types that don't get scale after a few years. I don't know if the soils are just not right for them in the Midwest or what, but they just aren't happy... and get scale! IF you want to try to save your plant, you might consider a systemic. Either smothering oil sprays or systemics are the only way to control scale. Personally, I'd just replace the plant with something else.

I wonder what parts of the country actually can grow euonymus varieties successfully. Any successes out there?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Judging from Clemson U. Extension's advice to condsider planting other species I think your right HG. Toss it and pick a less problematic plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.