My first signs of Spring in Kansas

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Took a day off from work,to welcome a early spring,hardly any wind,lots of sunshine and a mild 55*.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

oh how beautiful! thank you, a sight for sore eyes, here it is snowing snowing snowing........

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks
Snow is ok if you need the moisture!
If not.what a bummer!!!!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, we do need the moisture, so it is okay, just not quite as okay as spring will be. ;-)

Moundridge, KS(Zone 6a)

Wow! You give me hope...I'm about 35 miles north of you. Mine are up but not budded, but not very protected either. Usually Wichita is about a week ahead of us so I'm going to start watching mine closely!!!
KATHY

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Kathy,yes do,because they will bud and open within the day sometimes,as I have missed mine before!

Ps,I work with a Garry Gurney from Moundridge at Case,or CNH as it is called now,we trade seeds and plants,trying to get the hottest pepper to eat!
Don

Moundridge, KS(Zone 6a)

You're a brave pair! I grow peppers, but aim for the milder ones. We live about 5 3/4 miles south of town. Lots of good gardening in this area. What all do you grow?

Kathy

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I mainly just grow tropical plants,and over winter them in the greenhouses.
But I do grow a few tomatoes and peppers,I have seven parrots who love hot peppers the hotter the better,then when they give kisses your lips burn like heck!!!LOL
I grow all mine from seed which have just popped this last week,
I like to get an early start on things,I have picked tomatoes in late April before,but not this year due to getting a late start.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Moundridge, KS(Zone 6a)

Do you grow your tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouses then, or do you move them out when things warm up? We have a fair size garden and I can a lot so we can enjoy that great summer tomato taste year-round, but I'm always chomping at the bit to get the first fresh one. I have a small greenhouse that I can heat with a little space heater if needed at night, but I don't really use it 'til early spring. I just keep thinking I need to find ways to extend my harvests so I don't have to buy any more at the stores than necessary. I start all my own seedlings too. but haven't gotten the tomatoes and peppers in yet. It's getting about time.

I can't believe your parrots eat the hot peppers. Do they do that in their native environment? You must really have your own little tropical paradise in Kansas, between the plants and the birds.

Kathy

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I just start them inside the greenhouse and move them out as soon as possible.
I also do container tomatoes and peppers,because I have a very small lot and plant lots of tropicals in the ground,and don't have much room for veggies.
There is just me and the wife,and we don't eat that much,although we look like we a lot!LOL
Here's a link to a few photos of my tropical front yard.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dbrya1/August21st?feat=directlink

The parrots seem to eat anything with seeds,and they just love those hot pepper seeds,I think they are that way in the wild as well.

Don

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Wow, the tropics in Kansas - who knew! My parents used to live in Wichita, Spring always came a lot earlier there than here. How soon do you have to start your tomato seeds to have fruit in April!?

I have heard that birds don't have the ability to feel the heat from hot peppers.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I have to start around Xmas time,in order to have tomatoes by April,along with good weather!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.