Plant collapse - Coffea arabica (coffee)

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi all,
I am a new subscriber (today!).
I have a number of coffee (C. arabica) plants, all grown from seed) in containers which are kept in a lighted conservatory in the colder months.
Some of these plants have died in recent months (more than usual, it seems). This is generally preceded with leaf wilt and drop and then die back, but sometimes just leaf drop of a health looking plant. However, some of the other plants look quite healthy and are kept under essentially identical conditions. Also some of the leaves of these plants are also a little yellow (lack of nitrogen?).

The plants in question are between 3 and 6 years old.

I would be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks,
Nick

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I responded to your post in tropicals too but I'll put it here as well to help get the discussion going. The first thing I would check is overwatering, it can cause wilting and yellowing leaves and it's such a common problem that I'd rule it out (or not) first. Other factors could be if the temps in your conservatory are a little too cold, or if the plant is getting a cold draft from being too near a window, etc. And it would also help if you could post a picture of one of the plants that has symptoms but isn't dead yet--could be something else entirely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.