Suggestions on shrubs/peren for a difficult space?

Chicago, IL

Hello, I'm new on this site, but already in love! Here is my dilemma- I live in Chicago and
have a rather narrow space before the front porch, which has a high (8 ft) brick
wall with a double-stairway. The space is about 3 ft wide and 20 ft long perhaps longer.
It's a northern exposure.
Currently, the arbor vitae that I planted are doing really poorly... I believe it's a combination
of the poor light, and also the many visiting dogs that regularly water all of my edge shrubs.
I'm thinking of creating a raised bed in this space to eliminate the dog problem. Signs and
pleading with my neighbors hasn't worked.
To all of the experts out there- I'm looking for something interesting that can survive our
cold winters and the shady conditions. Unfortunately, it also can't be too deep- do you think
kerria would work here? I'm open and extremely grateful for any and all suggestions.
Thank you.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Can you post a photo?
It would help alot and also give some idea about the style of the house etc.

Chicago, IL

Hopefully this comes across. It's directly in front of the arch.

Thumbnail by Winka_1
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Instead of a shrub you might consider a climbing vine. I suggest Hydrangea petiolaris. It prefers shade, but will take some sun. It clings to brick. Once established the laterals can easily be pruned back to remain within in the three foot alotted space. It's very hardy. The white spring bloom is gorgeous. This vine requires some patience to establish, but it is not fussy, needing only supplemental water to get started. After that normal rainfall is fine. It's not too fussy about soil. It wont start to "run" up the brick for three to four years. But once it gets going it's well worth the wait.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/147/

Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

How about a set of formal-looking planters, with something trailing, like golden moneywort, and mixture of hosta and heuchera? The planters would keep things away from the dogs.

I agree with snapple that a climbing vine would look nice. Boston ivy would go with the traditional look of your house, but might need a lot of work to keep it in check.

I also thought of rhododendron. I have PJM rhodedenrons in a pretty shady area next to my brick house. They look good in spring and summer - in winter, the purplish leaves blend right into the brick color, like camouflage.

My climbing hydrangea is in a pretty shady spot, but its only three years old, and I have yet to see it run at all. I'm hoping it learns to walk - its still pretty small.

Peg

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Take heart StaulPeg - It will take off. I took this shot last spring just after it finished blooming. It was 4 yrs. old. By mid to late summer it shot up over 8'. When they finally take off they really go quick. First they just kinda sit quietly there, then Wham! I trimmed the laterals back this year to keep it to a 2-1/2 width. It happily accepts some pruning. Just don't overdo it or do it late in the season else you lose next years flowers. You can see it just starting to run up the tree.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2009 9:07 PM

Thumbnail by snapple45
Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

Beautiful! Is that an oak it's climbing?

Winka_1 - how about yews? They're more shade tolerant than the arbor vitae, and they can be pruned heavily to keep them back from the sidewalk.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Yup, The oak's plenty big enough to handle the vine. When it leafs out this spring I'll try to remember to post another shot. It not only shot up 8', it has nearly encircled the trunk starting at about 3' high. I never did anything special, just kept it watered and mulched and waited it out. When they decide they have enough root system they just explode.

Winka:
Unfortunately, dog have already marked your area and will continue if there is anything that the can lift their leg against. It doesn't have to be a bush. Their urine is already in the ground to lure the next passing dog to leave their "calling card". Changing plants won't help that situation.

What you can do is: first get rid of the arborvitae. They don't grow well unless they get full sun. All evergreens are notorious for attracting dogs. Then leave the spot idle over the summer to dissapate the scent. I used to use moth flakes to discourage visiting dogs. It hurts their noses. Or, use a store bough dog repellent. Either way, sprinkle the area with it and apply as necessary. Moth balls are good if you don't have young kids that will find them. You don't need much of either.

As far as plants, I recommend Hostas. There are so many types to choose from in leaf texture, color, and height. They are mainly grown for their leaves, but do send up a tall flowering stalk in July and August.

Another plant that I love is Bergenia cordifolia (Heartleaf Bergenia). From a thick rootstock, it produces rosettes of large glossy heartshaped-like leaves that are evergreen. Turns russet in the fall. It blooms in April with pinkish-red flowers. Grows 12" high. A beautiful plant in or out of bloom. Grows nicely with Hostas and can serve as a groundcover.

Another groundcover or foreground plant is Ajuga reptans (Carpet Bugle) the miniature form that grows barely 2". Blue blooms in June with bronze colored leaves.

For height, consider Heuchera (Coral Bells) with many leaf colors to choose from. Spring or early summer blooming with pink, red, or white blooms.
Eupatorium purpureum (Joe Pye Weed) grows 3-9 feet native to eastern US. Purple blooms late summer or fall. Not really a weed.
Tricyrtis hirta (Toad Lily) with unique lilac blossoms peppered with purple growing from leaf joints. Height to 3ft. Form colonies.

There are many other shade loving plants, Iberis sempervirens (Candytuft), Galium odoratum (Sweet Woodruff), both low-growing.

All mentioned are hardy to zone 4. I have them growing in my own garden.

I'm sure there are many more varieties that you can grow in that spot. I just mentioned a few that I am familiar with.

As far as ivy growing on the exterior wall of your house, you take a chance on ants invading the house. I lived in a house with ivy and we had ants using the plant as a pathway.

CAPTION: Bergenia growing along the north side of my house.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2009 6:09 PM

Thumbnail by

And Tricyrtis hirta

Thumbnail by

Ajuga reptans

Thumbnail by

By the way Kerria would work but be aware that the plant produce clumps from roots and is likely to spread freely. Needs room for its arching branches.

Chicago, IL

Thanks Blomma for all of your thoughtful suggestions. I know what you mean
about the dogs, it's useless... I'm going to try building up a small retaining wall to
raise up the area away from them. I think it will also help to give me more fetile
ground to plant in. It's a narrow space so I have to figure out how to do that.

I've had toad lily in a previous garden, I liked that it was a late bloomer. I may
try a combination of plants- I think it's the dogs more than the shade which
is creating the problem. Happy gardening to you!

You are welcome. Glad to help. Another suggestion is to go to different online nurseries for information what to plant. Copy and paste the link into your browser if it doesn't work. A few are:

www.parkseed.com

www.highcountrygardens.com

www.burpee.com

www.waysidegardens.com

This message was edited Mar 12, 2009 11:51 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.