New Clematis Cuttings Help

Grantsville, UT(Zone 5a)

I just received some bare clematis cuttings from a friend. They are about 1 ft. long, very pliable, no leaves, just stems, damp and sorta slimey from being shipped and stored for a while in an airtight plastic bag. Do I simply root them in water, add nutrients to some potting soil and pot them later? What would happen to the cuttings if I simply covered them with a little potting soil. Would they ever root without being in water? Thanks.

Louisville, KY

I have rooted one cutting out of 2 attempted this past fall. I have no idea on what to do with cuttings in Februay.

Good luck

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

pioneerwoman - I have propagated & now rooting miniature roses and thought I'd try rooting clematis via intermodal.
Is there any little nodes at all or just plain stem?
Check this out to see if it helps. All you can do it try. I am using this method today myself. Hope it works.
Good luck.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~JN7H-OONM/contents/cuttings_e.html

This message was edited Feb 19, 2009 9:54 AM

(Zone 4a)

I have kept that link for reference....I might have some cuttings coming in the spring and I don't want to screw anything up....I hope it works!

Athens, PA

That is amazing! Can I assume this is done in the Spring?

I have to try this.

Kristy - Thank you for this link.

Carolyn

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Dawn, I have it in my bookmark too as a reference too.
There are tons of explanations out there, but for myself, I have found this one to be the easiest to follow. I'm somewhat of a dim-whit and hate it when people get into long, drawn out blah blah blah, talking about the scientific facts and all. I just want to know how to do it! lol I know it's important, but in the beginning I think all of that just confuses people. It does me anyway. A pictorial is how I really learn things clearly. Seeing is understanding for me.

Carolyn - your welcome. ☺
I really don't know what time of year is best as this is the first time I've done this myself. There is probably someone here who can answer that better than me. I have read (from google searches) that early spring and/or early summer are the best times to try this. I have buds on one of my clems but your zone is much cooler.

I got several going yesterday along with a few more roses. Crossing fingers!

(Zone 4a)

Let us know for sure if it works in a few months....I will be waiting to hear!

Delaware, OH

use old wood with new growth for best result to root internodal cuttings.
use rooting hormone. keep damp but not soggy.
medium light, not harsh full sunlight.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

niobe is right. I've read over & over bright sunlight at first can burn them. Don't want that to happen.

I cut mine with old and new. I didn't use all of these but from cleaning out my clem at the mailbox, this is what I had left. I had no choice but to cut a few blooms but it has tons already so no big deal.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Grantsville, UT(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the replies. Mine came in a zip lock bag and they did have leaves but they fell off. They are plain stems. My garden stores did not even have Root Tone or anything similar. Apparently no garden stuff out until mid-April or first of May. I will keep trying and let you know how they do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.