Trout lilies

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I bought an 'erythronium umbilicatum' from Plant Delights Nursery last spring.
I thought it was a dud, since there was no visible growth and nothing ever came up.
But being the cheapskate that I am (or maybe the eternal optimist?),
I kept the small pot and overwintered in my garage.
To my surprise, I now have about 5 shoots coming up (rapidly - already 5+ inches tall!).
My dilemma is, now what??
Do I plant it out now, when we'll still have many subfreezing weeks left?
My soil is soft enough to plant it, since we've had several unseasonably warm days recently.
Or do I let it continue to grow in the pot and plant it later this spring?
Suggestions?

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Since it is coming up I think I would wait. Your zone is colder than mine...&a and ours haven't shown any growth yet.
debc

Danville, IN

But, don't keep it in the dark. I'd put it outside on mild enough days to harden it off and be ready to plant it in the ground when the time comes.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks.
They're still snug in my garage.
I'm always suspicious it's just a weed,
but now I can clearly see the prototypic mottled foliage.
I hope they flower!
I'll plant them this spring.
Thanks again.

Danville, IN

If you received them late in the spring, they probably had already gone dormant for the year, especially coming from Plant Delight which is much farther south than you are. Just sleeping! With five sprouts now, I'd say you got a deal. Good luck.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I never do well with these for some reason so I wish you good luck with yours!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I have Trout Lilies in in the woods surrounding our pasture. I have tried several times to establish them in the gardens around the house but have never had them to take. The Woods are full of the pretty little Yellow flowers this week. In just a few days they will all be gone for another year.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Mine are blooming now. They are growing in two places:
good soil around my Lowe's pond
REALLY crappy, dry, shaley soil near the rhododendrons
They do not last a long time but even after the flowers are gone, I enjoy the beautiful mottled leaves.
debc

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I planted several in the past couple years.
Last year, foliage came up, but I never saw a flower.
This year, I again have seen foliage, but so far no flower.
One had a bud just ready to pop, but the next day, I saw that some varmint had eaten it!
Maybe next year...

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Well I take back what I said because some of mine have reappeared and are in bud now. I'm so pleased because they are one of my favourites. Will post pictures when they bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.