Help needed to look after my new Canna's

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Gidday All,

I have never owned canna's before.

Can anyone tell me all about how to look after them.

From soil type, water, best position, pests, etc. I would like to keep them in a big pot, is this possible????

Thanks,

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty
lara, Australia

Cannas are very hardy and will grow just about anywhere. The only thing that will harm them is a frost, something you do not need to worry about. Do you know what colour it is? They prefer to be moist and in partial shade, although I have some growing in full sun and don't get much water. You will need to divide them once they overcrowd the pot they are in but will do fine untill then.

Gisborne, New Zealand

Hi Debi, Cannas are pretty tough and will almost grow themselves. Keep the stalks that have finished flowering cut back this will encourage new shoots and also keep the plants tidy. most will grow in full sun and will even cope with a bit of drought. At the moment I have 1 in a pot and I know it would do much better if I put it in the ground as the pot stunts them. When the stalks start to look scruffy cut it down to ground level.at the end of the season.. If you don't have a water shortage water during the hottest period, but if in a pot they will dry out and need much more water..
Lesley..

Thumbnail by Awchid

WoW!
Awchid that plant is just gorgeous..................................

Is there any "Pests" that I should be aware of? I now have another Favorite on my list of Favorite's.
My Pop said they were a pinkish Color, not Red? So I do not know if there is one that color?

I really appreciate the advice, it's a beautiful plant.

Thx,
Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty

Lesley,
What type of Canna are yours?

Mine are not redish or do they go that color as they get older??
Did you say they like to clump together and then thats when you devide them??

I am wondering if I should pot them into a bigger pot, so they can multiply at their will and will not get root bound?????

Any advice, greatfully received,

Debi & Elli-May
Queensland

Thumbnail by Degarotty
lara, Australia

There are many different colours, not all have a green or bronze leaf, some have a very colourfull leaf like the tropicana. It will be OK in the pot for now, wait untill it dies down in the cooler months (if you have any up there) or when it is warping the pot. Believe me you will have to try very hard to kill it. This is one of mine.

Thumbnail by tinio

WOW!
That is just gorgeous, the yellow is so stunning.
How old are they before they flower, would anyone know this??

Thanks for all the help Guys,

Debi

P.S.
Can anybody name this plant/Creeper????

Thumbnail by Degarotty
lara, Australia

Yours should be flowering this year, make sure you post a pic when it does. I have yellow, red, orange with bronze foliage, yellow & red (my favourite), tropicana, a cream one with a red throat, but I don't have a pink!

I'm sorry I don't know what your creeper is.

debs ...I don't know the name but it looks like one of my triffid succulents that take over the place ...it is a mass of yellow flowers in late winter or early spring ...it might need some more sun. don't let it loose in the garden because every piece grows ...a lot!

Hi Chrissy,

Great to hear from you again.

I have been absent lately as I have had a lot of family sadness.

But I am trying to pick myself up, dust myself off and get back into what I love...............

GARDENING.......................................... lol.

I haven't had it in the sun, so I will definately move it right now.

I hope you and your family are doing well.

Debi & Elli-May.

seems to be a lot of that around ...sorry to hear it and yes the garden is our refuge ...go play with your plants ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.