This is my FIRST Canna

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hi all,

Please, I need to know how to look after these, from soil, water, insects and diseases.

I am in Zone 10b, hot and humid in summer. I do not know its name as I have not seen it flower.
How long does it take for them to flower?

Any info on them greatfully received.

Debi
Australia

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Hello Debi,
Congrats on your first canna :-)
Depending on type, it can star flowering soon. Getting it out of the pot to better growing space will bring it to flower sooner.
Cannas are sun lovers, so should be planted where they will receive some sun. Cannas will do well in most soil. They are grateful for a little added compost and top dressing. In your climate, they will take about as much water as you can give them. The profit from regular fertilizing which will keep them blooming.
They have few pests except for leaf rollers if you have them there, and chewing bugs like grasshoppers. A good systemic will keep the leaf rollers at bay. The only disease cannas seem to have is they are subject to canna viruses if in proximity to diseased cannas to be contracted. But your's look very fresh, clean, and healthy and should do very well for you :-)
Alice

Mena, AR

Im not a total green thumb person... but I had some cannas in a flower bed full of weeds and of course they didnt do well. so i moved them back by the pool and a little shed with our regular ground dirt, a layer of sand and river rock on top and they bloomed the next month. it went from 4 bulbs to 24 in like a year. guess i was lucky but totally amazed. i live in Mena, AR, USA i think im zone 7

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Cannas are wonderfully easy to grow and, as Abutilon said, they like lots of sun, moisture and organic soil. I think you'll be very happy with them.

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

I took a picture of the other Canna's nearby and this is the color of them, can you give me a name?

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.