Squirrel Proof Feeder?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

It took this squirrel 26 hours to defeat my brand new squirrel proof feeder. I was so impressed that I had to take some photos.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

He came down the rope to the top, flipped over to the perch, hanging on with one back foot to the body of the feeder, to reduce the weight on the bar, so it wouldn't drop.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

3 squirrels were on the ground waiting for him to fling seed down to them. I am going to send these photos to the manufacturer of this feeder.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

LMAO, I'm sorry I couldnt help myself. I cant wait to hear what the mfg
has to say about their feeder. Squirrels are evil creatures I swear. I hung a suet feeder from the eave in the front of the house thinking the squirrel couldnt get to it.... HA !!!! dopey me... darn thing climbed up the bird feeder pole and jumped onto the roof and then down onto the suet feeder and tried to steal it, it got hung up in the gutter so he couldnt run off with it. Oh and the best part, I have a rottweiler in my yard and the squirrel's laugh at her. And to think some people enjoy squirrels LOL
Christine

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, that is hilarious! Great photo proof, too.

BTW, that feeder should have a little thing on the side to adjust the weight limit at which it trips and closes. I gather you have already adjusted it to the lightest weight setting, right?

I once had a clear plastic feeder shaped like a doughnut or car tire. It adhered to the window with a suction cup so that you could watch the little birds eating from inside the house. One day I heard a loud thump at the window. I ran over to the window to see a squirrel inside the plastic feeder, wrapped completely around inside the clear plastic doughnut and 'smooshed' in there so tightly that his back foot was squished up against his face - but he was in there just the same and was happily muching away at the bird seed. How I wish I had been holding a camera!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Actually It was it on the heaviest setting, so I have repositioned the spring to the lightest setting. I'll see what happens today. I have to admire the squirrel. He had spent the whole day trying to figure out how to get to the food. He was so frustrated that he even ran over to my backdoor and was scratching on it. Probably saying, in squirrel language, "Come on out and put that feeder on the ground, already". The blue jays had also figured that they could smack the feeder, by flying at it, causing it to jerk, spilling food onto the ground. At least the little birds discovered it within a day, both a house wren and song sparrow were eatting out of it.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I thought I had smart squirrels LOL!!!!
I have a feeder that is close to this one mounted on a pole and my guys have not figured it out yet. (although the blue jays figured out if they flap thier wings, they are light enough to grab food)

It is really funny seeing them hang by toes to get at some of the feeders. I say if we had to work so hard to get food, we'd all be skinny. I am thinking about putting all snacks in the house up into the ceiling fixtures. LOL

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I also feel that if we had the persistence of squirrels, that we could accomplish anything we set our minds to do.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

So true. I guess we could learn much from these tree rats.

I looked out after posting this morning to see 7 of the guys out eating under the feeder. I noticed that my feeder has a much steeper roof, they tend to slide right off, to my delight.

Edinburg, TX

I like to watch squirrel antics :o) Then again, I can say that gleefully as I don't get squirrels in my neighborhood in south Texas. Which is odd because I can travel a couple of miles and see them in trees at other neighborhoods. Go figure!

When I lived in Memphis we had lots of squirrels in our trees. They'd come up to the back porch and steal the dog's kibble all the time.

~ Cat

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I reset the feeder to the lightest setting which seems to be working. The squirrel still jumps on the top of the feeder which causes it to rock, dumping out a little seed. I don't mind them eating the spilled seed on the ground but I prefer that they don't gorge themselves ON the feeder. I've been giving the squirrels my apple cores, which they seem to like.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Laughing! My first feeder had a seam in the back. It was just enough for the squirrel to dig in and hang over the front. I wrote the company. They sent me a brand new one! Mine too is steeper and the squirrels slide off. Yep, the jays flap and get a few, but mostly the little ones get the sunflower seed.

Mine is Stop a Squirrel. I can't find the letter that came with it. If I do, I'll post the company name.

I was very impressed to get a new feeder instead of an, ''I'm sorry'' letter.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Wow. That is great customer service, for sure. Mine also has the top that goes up higher on top and the drops off at a steep angle, probably the result of your letter. When I 1st errected it I enjoyed watching many a squirrel slide off that steep top while trying to climb down for some seeds. It worked nicely until the raccoons figured out how to throw it on the ground so everyone could enjoy the bounty.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, you are correct. This feeder is NOT raccoon proof.

See why we need a squirrel proof feeder? Yesterday there were 15 of them out there before a crazy woman went out there yelling and scared them away.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Edinburg, TX

Is that snow on the ground? Poor tree rats were probably hungry :o) Why work climbing up trees looking for nuts and berries when there are people who put out feeders that provide exercise and treats? :o) Heh heh!

Of course...I say that gleefully since we don't get squirrels where I live.

~ Cat

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, that is snow. We still have plenty if you want some. Cold temps too. Hopefully that won't last much longer. (minus 4 this morning).

They do more fighting over the food than eating sometimes.

We have extra ones here to send to you. I bet they would enjoy Tx.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Scutler, I drop in on Heidi once in a while. I looked out the window last week to check the temp on the garage. I looked down just in time to catch the neighbor's cat go in the garage. A foot behind him was a large raccoon and he went right in behind. I think he's been sleeping out there for a while.

C'parts, always good to have a crazy woman in the neighborhood. LOL! Now that is a lot of squirrels. I do think you should ship some south :o)

TexasPuddyPrint, no squirrels? I think you should try some :O)

This was last February. Sorry it's so dark.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Hey, that is what my feeder looks like.
It is the only feeder we have had that some animal has not ruined.

Billy, your picture looks fine. Mine was really dark, the sun had not come up yet.

Edinburg, TX

Snow...ha ha...last time we had snow was Christmas Eve 2004 - which was a first "White Christmas" for the majority of folks that were born and grew up here. I lived up north for many years so have 'enjoyed' the snow :o) but it was hilarious to watch the neighborhood come alive at 11pm Christmas Eve. There were people walking out in the streets and making "snow bumps" (see photo below of my neighbor's snow bump!!! That's what happens when you don't get enough snow to make a proper snowman!!!

The prior 'snow fall' we had was in October of 1967...and the previous "White Christmas" was in 1895!!!

Nope...you can keep your snow and your squirrels - we have our hands full with moles and ground squirrels as well as feral hogs and raccoons at the ranch...oh and rattlesnakes too :o)

~ Cat

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

Oh...and this is a ground squirrel...I believe it's called an Eight Striped Mexican Ground Squirrel.

Mind you...these guys get carnivorous! This one was eating a baby bunny when I came up upon it. I sat there waiting and watching until it came back and was able to get photos.

~ Cat

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow. Like the snowman too. Ha.

We have raccoons, but not as many snakes. You can keep those.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

My buddy the squirrel decided that if he couldn't raid the feeder, that he would just chew the ropes so it would fall on the ground.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

pix 2

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

pix 3. This squirrel has given me as much entertainment as the birds.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

That little snot!

They are clever. One of mine, knocked down a tube feeder (as they are too hard to eat out of) and then chewed the bottom off to get the bounty. They commonly chew off the perches.

Great action pictures, bsharf!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
he would just chew the ropes so it would fall on the ground

Try hanging it from a steel cable? Maybe the sort used for bicycle locks? Or maybe the sort they use for ships tying up in port?

Resin

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

My DH has already suggested a chain.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I was thinking something like this might perhaps stop them:
http://www.ship-technology.com/contractor_images/drahtseilwerk/draht5.jpg

If you think that won't work, maybe try this:
http://www.nlpbodybuilding.com/images/chain.jpg

But to be completely certain, I'd recommend this:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/55/137798870_06f39b3f20.jpg

Resin

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Resin, that's funny! As a conselation prize, I put a handfull of peanuts and grapes on the ground for Mr. Squirrel. He shouldn't have to work so hard for his dinner.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

A coworker was suggesting that feeder that the bottom spins when there is extra weight on it. I think it would be quite entertaining.

Does anyone have one?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Here is Mr Squirrel helping himself to the peanuts that I put out as a peace offering. He was regaining his strength yesterday, so he could finish chewing through the rope that was holding the bird feeder, which is again on the ground, now with a few dents. My DH suggested knocking him off with the air rifle. So time for plan B, a chain. Stay tune for further updates on Squirrel versus Squirrel Proof Feeder.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Edinburg, TX

Those squirrel photos are too funny!!! Guess the makers of bird feeders never thought a squirrel would chew through the ropes :o)

Oh...and I got this photo in an email long ago...I think it will add to the humor of this thread. Don't know who it belongs to or who took/created it...but here it is ;o)

Maybe you need to call in the armed forces for help :o)

~ Cat

This message was edited Mar 14, 2009 10:16 PM

Marlton, NJ

LOL Cat!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

GI Joe meets roadkill squirrel!

Fuquay-Varina, NC(Zone 7a)

Discovery Channel ran a show several years ago called Daytime Robbery about the cheekiness of squirrels. They ran this one squirrel through a huge obstacle course just for a peanet.

Anyway, they tested all sorts of "squirrel-proofing" available and came to the conclusion that the only real way to squirrel-proof something was to....electrify it. The squirrels did look quite surprised when they hit the hot wire!!

Edinburg, TX

I think I saw that Discovery show...or something similar to it. I remember they made up all kinds of contraptions and obstacles and the squirrels managed to conquer every one of them. I don't recall the zapping part though :o)

~ Cat

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

There was a feeder that had a low zap to the top (I think). Rosie talked about it on her show (years ago) and said how much it amused her. She also fed the squirrels, but they would also eat all the birdseed. She used this for the birdseed. Well, many people called and wrote that it was cruel and never saw them again in stores or heard about them.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sorry to be gone for so long.

Cat, I got a huge kick out of your snow bump!! Your ground squirrel is cute, but you can keep him and I'll stick with tree squirrels :o) ROTFL over the dead squirrel photo!!

Bsharf, ROTFL even tho squirrels aren't always funny. I hope he went down with the feeder.

Cpartschick, and hot pepper on the seed isn't cruel too? But I would do it if they were eating all my seed.

I'm still looking for the paperwork on my feeder.

Here's a better picture, sans squirrel. The grackles are just starting to raid it, so note to self. Seed needs to be gone around the first of March.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Edinburg, TX

Hey, I have actually have squirrel feeders!!! I just stepped outside to take a photo of them. Have no idea why I didn't remember them sooner. DOH!!!

I don't get squirrels...but I like to think the birds find them amusing :o)

~ Cat

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Too cute!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.