Best Dark Foliage Sedum

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I recently saw a new sedum called "Postman's Pride." Is this a really good dark colored sedum or which dark colored sedum do you recommend? I'm trying to decide which one to order.

Also, which plants would look nice planted with these? Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Bright yellow hostas would pop it. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Thanks, Bev. That's pretty. I bet Veronica "Aztec Gold" would look good too. I'll have to experiment with it. I really like the look of these dark sedums!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Anything shorter and brighter would pop it even annual impatients????

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

What a pretty plant. Thank you for posting a picture.

Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

I haven't tried Postman's Pride but I have grown both Purple Emperor and Black Jack.
Black Jack does seem to get a bit darker than Purple Emperor, but the thing I don't like about it, is it doesn't start off dark. It emerges in the spring green with purple hues and then gradually darkens. Purple Emperor comes up purple and stays purple. (maroon-purple)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

actually , you don't really want to mix hostas with sedums, sedums require full sun to turn the leaves a dark color and hostas require full shade to grow, putting hostas in full sun will distort their natural color.

But that veronica would look fabulous with the sedum. I've got the aztec gold coming soon in a trade also. I may do that, plant it with the dark leaved sedums.

Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

You might want to try Sedum "Angelina" with it. It goes from lime green to golden with red tips in the fall.
Here is a picture of Sedum 'Purple Emperor" and Sedum "Angelina". The picture is kind of dark, but gives you an idea.

Thumbnail by Bareroots
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I grew Postman's Pride this past summer and it wasn't my favorite. For one thing, it was tall and spindly. Not at all in form like my Purple Emperor or Matrona. The other thing is that it went away toward the end of the summer. I truly thought that I'd lost it although I see that it's coming back up. Perhaps it just needs another year or two seeing as how last year was its first one, but PE was in the same area and also in its first year. Much nicer I thought.
I have some carex planted nearby that seems to contrast nicely. Frosted Curls is my favorite one at the moment, and I do agree that sedum Angelina contrasts nicely, too. It spreads, but is easily pulled up and shared if you get a bit much.

Thanks to you all for answering. I'm going to try the Purple Emperor or Matrona. I'm leaning towards Purple Emperor. I just want something very dark and easy to grow.

tggfisk - Thanks for the info about the Carex. I have no Carex at all. Maybe I should look into those!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I have gotten some good carexs at Santa Rosa Gardens for reasonable prices. Some are evergreen, some aren't. There are nice ranges in color and form as well. I've had my very first ones for well over 10 years and never had to do anything to maintain them. What's not to like about that? ;)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I would try this sedum but the sad thing is the squirrels sold all my tags last year and I'm not real sure of the name on this one, but it is just beautiful.... I'm going to go get postman's pride and plant next to this one for the contrast.

Janet

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Wow, Janet - that is a beautiful sedum! Hope someone can ID it! Samantha

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'd love to know the sedum name too. How lovely.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

sad thing is I can't remember where I got it. I've looked at a few of the web sites that I might have picked it up at and even gone out to a local nursery where I'm pretty sure I got it from only to be so disappointed this year. The guy had hardly any plant selection this year and no sedum's like this one.... cause if he had I would have gotten several more. I just love it. Last year it didn't flower as I got it after the flowering time so what a wonderful surprise this year. I really like the shape of the leaf as that is my first choice when looking for new plants, if they flower that is the icing on the plant so to speak, I want to have something pretty to look out when it isn't flowering and leaf structure and color are tops with me.

Janet

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Maybe they could ID it on the plant ID forum? If you wouldn't mind posting a pic.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Kathy Ann, there is a hosta called Sun Power that has lime green foliage and can take all day sun with adequate water. I've had these in retail displays in containers in full all day sun for weeks with no burn. Some web sites will tell you that they only take part sun, but trust me- they take all day hot full sun. Right now they're on a table with Yarrow and Salvia.

Conversely, there are some Sedums which can take part shade, although they are not in the tall, long lived group that produces Purple Emperor and Black Jack.

Madison, WI

Janet, that's a lovely sedum!

I am trying to get Angelina going, but it is not doing all that great.
I was told it's a slow spreader, but the combination that Bareroots posted is stunning and proves
me wrong. Maybe it's the question of getting the right growing conditions for it.
I have Black Jack that turned out to be not that black but enough of a contrast and carefree.
Did you think about Euphobias as companions that could take drier conditions? You are
zone 7 so there's lots to choose from :)

I am listening on this thread too.

Here's a pdf of a Sedum trial some of you may want to read.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/30E56E99-83FD-45AA-B15B-9C10714F1F72/0/SedumBulletinHI.pdf

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Enya - I have Angelina all over the yard - each piece that breaks off starts (in the grass, in beds, under a cedar tree). It's prolific and is spreading, but not too fast.

Madison, WI

I wonder if I just have to add sand to the soil where I grow my sedums?
The spot where I have sedums is in full sun but has rather heavy soil.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

If you do choose to amend with sand, ensure that it is what is called "sharp" or "builder's" sand. Playground sand is round in shape and actually can contribute to soil compaction.

I really don't think sand is a good amendment for a bed anyways. Is there anyway for you to make a raised bed?

Madison, WI

My sedum area is between the street and the sidewalk - the only full sun area I have.
That's where all of the snow and salt gets dumped. I grow a lot of plants there: irises, sedums, grasses, milkweeds, etc. I need to to improve drainage but cannot dig it all up.
So was thinking that sand would be one way. May be I should look at adding compost by a square foot or two and replanting the whole area?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

my new flower beds are all raised. I have terrible clay soil and I didn't want to waste time and ENERGY tilling up the clay.

I first moved the area very close then laid wet newspapers down on the area, then put weed block material next came new soil/sweet peat/leaf humus. my plants loved it and this year they are rewarding me with fantastic growth.

So by all means do raised area. Your plants will thank you many times over for it.

Janet

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have SUN POWER and a new lime green hosta named SEA FIRE. The contrast with dark plants is awesome. I am watching this thread to see which dark sedum is suggested as a good one.

I'd like to recommend a Penstemon called Dark Towers. It looks really good. I think it's darker than the sedums.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.