half a hippi

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

This is Hippeastrekelia Durga Pradhan.This is the best red color I have had so far.It glows and the pictures don't do it justice.I like it so much I just ordered another.

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

another shot

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Mobile, AL

That is so cool!

One day, I hope to own my own and perhaps even create my own.

NICE!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

They are cool and the best part is that I just planted a couple of them myself. WooHoo, I hope mine bloom this year.

In that last picture it looks like you buried the bulb, did you? I have been wondering if I planted mine deep enough or too deep. I have just the neck of the bulb exposed but it is not too late to change things.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Ardesia,follow that red bloom stalk down and you should see the neck of the main bulb exposed.It came with two healthy offsets and those are buried.This bulb came from bulbmeister.com.The red color is perfect.The only complaint I have is that the scape is a little weak and must have support when all the blooms open.That may just be a one time thing.

Thanks, the waiting is going to kill me. :-0

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

JT, I have had this plant for years and mine only has one or two flowers per scape with sometimes two scapes per bulb. I haven't seen three flowers on a scape before so that may be why yours tends to flop - too many flowers. Can you add your picture to PlantFiles http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/159856/ (I created the entry, I even had to have the genus added).

Ardesia - I have mine growing in a pot - I treat them like amaryllis/hippeastrum and let them dry out in the fall and keep them dormant in the garage over the winter. When I first planted them I had the bulb covered with about an inch of soil but over the past couple of years they have pushed themselves up so that part of the top of the bulb is exposed. (Plant Delights says they are supposed to be hardy here but my soil doesn't have good winter drainage so I don't want to push it.) I think planting it with the neck exposed will be fine - the bulb will adjust itself to its preferred depth as it grows. (If it's in the ground just make sure to keep it mulched in the winter to prevent freezing.)

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the input Tom.I will keep mine in a pot.I know it would be hardy here but I prefer moving pots to pulling weeds.I will add some pix to the Plantfiles file.

Thanks Tom, they are in a pot now but I'll put them in the ground after they are established. Although we had some real nasty weather this year our soil always stays above 50.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

i want one

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Here is one place that sells them for a reasonable price (hope this link works on DG)
http://businessvision.net/edge/Main.asp?D={211E1304-5A23-4D65-B8BB-2B14F1B19DC5}&PageType=ProductList&DisplayMode=Category&CategoryID=19

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

I wish I had seen that price before I ordered mine.

Thanks Tom for the link. I was very bad and bought 5 of them. 5 for $30 + 6.05 shipping. I really didn't want that many but I'm sure I can find a place for them. The owner was very pleasant. I won't be taking delivery til mid March.

I got mine from Chris and Gretchen; they were on sale at 2 for $5.00. The bulbs look good; now if only spring would came and stay this time. These up and down temperatures are killing my plants and me!

I know exactly what you mean. are yours potted or inground. any pics?

Mine are potted but I just potted them about 10 days ago.

Yu know I got some Cardwell Lilies from Chris and the description said z10. I was too lazy to lift the bulbs but I was delighted yesterday to find one out of five peeking out. So maybe they will be OK in z9. They didn't bloom for me but I was really growing it for the leaves.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2754/

I read my comments and I had forgotten how mad I had been at squirrels for yanking them out. After I put the pepper, they left them alone and either I didn't use the chiken wire or I lifted it. don't remember.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2009 11:27 AM

That's cool, I got some Cardwells from them too. I am so ready for warm weather, it is sunny and in the 70's today and is the weatherman says it is supposed to get down to 30 tonight but I suspect it will stay in the mid 30's here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.