Pollen Viability Questions

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Just wondering - about how long is amaryllis pollen viable? I know it varies depending on different conditions (and maybe even between cultivars?), mainly I'm wondering about #1, at room temperature, and #2, stored in the refrigerator.

I've got some pollen I collected from my 'Misty' and 'Dancing Queen'. I set it out to dry and planned to get it into the fridge for storage (no others were blooming at that point). Well, they ended up sitting out about 2 weeks. Is it possible they could still be viable?

Thanks!

Aschaffenburg, Germany

I get the impression that pollen is viable for about 6-10 weeks from the crossings I made last year, after 6 weeks fertility seems to drastically drop. I have no experience using frozen pollen, but am told it will keep a year if you have desiccated it properly and it it is protected in a waterproof container...

Martin

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Why not try it.There is nothing to lose and I think it would still be good.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Ya, I'm going to, JT. I just thought I'd ask - I had heard that it is somewhat perishable, but can't remember when or where I heard that. Who knows, lol.

I dry and freeze all my pollens after the season ends. When my plants set buds the following year, I whip it out and dust. I'm sure it's good for a year if frozen. I've had no problems with viability and use the same procedure every year. This method gives me more leeway when the new flowers come. I'm not limited only to what is in bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.