Question about EBs, would like your opinion

Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

Ok, this forum has convinced me to order some EBs. Well, that and the dearth of veggie gardening space. I have some raised beds but two are taken up by asparagus and can't be used for anything else. I do tax prep and have very little free time in the spring, no time to try to make HEBs so I'll order some.
Now. They come in three colors...it gets very hot here in SC in the summertime. D'ya think I should get the white ones and hope it'll reflect some of the heat off the EBs? I think the green ones would probably blend in better but I'm worried that the dark color may absorb too much heat. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Diana

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

The covers are reversible, One side is black for spring and the other side is white for the hotter months when you want the reflection. So...order your choice, I dont think the box color matters so much.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Diana I live on the gulf coast of TX and I haven't found that it matters. I use the green, but if your worried about the extreme heat you might want to line the EB sides with several layers of newsprint. I've read that this insulates the roots from the heat during the hottest part of the summer. Also use the white side of the cover during the summer.

Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

Thank you both, I appreciate your taking the time to help me. Now I just have to bite the bullet and get up off of $330 LOL

I think I'm going to love this system though, especially if I fix up watering lines. Thanks again and I'll most likely be back to pick your brains when they arrive ;-)

Diana

*Edited for spelling, haven't had but one cup of coffee yet ;-)

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 8:50 AM

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I remember having to save for two years, them they came and its more money to fill them. You put the tomato in and it kinda wilts and you say. %^^&%..what did I do. Then magically, before you can exhale, you are coming up with every way possible to hold those plants up.. they take off and there is no looking back. I figure, if I can keep something going for 9 months of the year in them, they pay for themselves in about a year...depending what veggie you plant. Thats not bad considering its fun and you get WAY better stuff. I got mine when they were on clearance, havent seen them do that in about a year now. I would love some more.

I have the white ones in FL, I dont find the roots have a problem, and I do notice when I pull out the cooler weather stuff, that the roots are pressed against the side, so Im thinking they like that heat.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 9:44 AM

Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

Thank you gardenglory. I've considered buying them for some time but there was always something else that took priority until now. From what I read they should last for several years and that makes me feel better about the amount of money I'm spending. Times are hard ;-)

Thanks again,
Diana

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Diana I'd say several years and then some..I know Tplant has had his several years prior to mine and I've had them 3 years this season. I really do marvel at the quality of the material they use. Ours hasn't faded noticeably nor has it cracked or is it brittle.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

wonder if there is anything we can do to extend the life even farther. I have noticed no decline in materials either, to this point. Thank goodness.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

At first I thought I had my EBs for five years but It is seven they are as good as new. I now have a total of nineteen and use both white and green but always have the white side of the cover up. coco coir it really is the best mix and the mix you use is the most important part to protect your investment. You can not use potting soil under any conditions. I used to use Jungle Growth container mix but since have been converted to coco coir
one block will fill 1 1/2 EBs. It breaks out to be the same price as any quality mix plus the shipping charge but well worth while. Start with the best and get the best results! I'm sure others will agree as you must protect your investment. Which reminds me I must buy some more coir to fill the rest of my EBs.

Thumbnail by Tplant

I have terracotta but have to admit that I ordered mine to look good with the house. I was so green that I never thought about the difference in the colors. I have noticed a difference between the white 5 gallon buckets and green ones, though. Those are much smaller compared to an EB, though.

I know you're gonna love yours! I have 20 varieties of tomatoes started, 5 varieties of peppers, 2 of cucumbers plus zucchini. I'll direct sow my beans the first of March. Good luck with your garden, and keep us posted!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

IO1,
What difference have you noticed between the green and the white and the orange 5 gallon buckets? Please LMK soonest.

P.S. I'm in my office at work looking at 11 grey paint buckets the contractors dropped off!!!

Linda
It just seemed like the root system was thicker in the green bucket. Does that make sense? I hope that helps. :)

Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

It sounds as if the green buckets had somewhat healthier root systems? Thank you for offering your input, that is very helpful. And you're down south as well with all of our heat. It makes me feel much better about wanting to order the green ones.

Thanks so much!
Diana

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

gardenglory: "wonder if there is anything we can do to extend the life even farther. I have noticed no decline in materials either, to this point. Thank goodness."

Actually, I ordered more EBs this season, and unfortunately there is a bit of decline, not in the material per se, but in the thickness of the box. I weighed the old boxes and new ones, and there was a marked difference. Too bad.

There are still great though -- so anyone thinking of buying, don't let this deter you.

I have both and find the new ones to be stroger than the originals. I complained to them years ago that they bowed out and the cover would not cover properly but they also improved that by making the cover a bit larger so I'd say any defects seem to have been corrected to date.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I agree with Tplant on this one..the neighbor behind us had some of the original Earthboxes (ones with a logo on the side) and his were bowed while the ones I got just one year after his aren't showing any such signs. We live (Tplant & I both) live in extreme weather conditions during the summer months, heat that most can only imagine or read about with humidity to match..toss in hurricanes (mine have been through 4, one a category 3) and still look great. No fading, warping or other visible signs of wear.

I'm gonna check for which ones I have...no logo means new design, right?

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

araness and Tplant -- are you talking about this years box versus 2008? I just ordered a batch, and I also ordered last year. This year they are thinner than last year.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I have some for the past three years.

Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

Does anyone else have 2008 and 2009 boxes and noticed the difference?

That would be a concern for me. I don't want to invest that much money if they're cutting corners in materials this year. Times are hard.

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Diana have you seen the grow bags?

Corte Madera, CA

DianaT, I, too have pondered on buying more EBs (I have only 1, and really loving it). A few nights ago, I finally ordered 5! I cannot wait for them to arrive.

Annapet

Don't forget the coco coir for the EBs. You will really like it and a strange thing I discovered today as I was setting up my strawberry stackers was that my fingernails remained clean and my hands were not dry as they would be if handling container mix. Important to me as I have arthritis in my hands and difficult to clean my fingernails! I use BocaBobs coir it is very fine and perfect for the EBs. My veggies love it.

Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

darkmoondreamer: I've seen BocaBob's pictures, and have given thought to using them as well. The only thing is that I would need to set up automated watering for them and I just simply don't have time when I work 12 hr days six days a week from January through the end of April. That was why I was going to go with the EBs first, I'd only have to fill reservoirs until I get my second day off again at the end of tax season. I wanted to start early stuff in the EBs.

Annapet, please let me know your thoughts when you get the new EBs, specifically how durable they seem as opposed to the older version. I'll be waiting anxiously....

Tplant, I love coir too. I've been rooting my roses in it for years. The fine stuff is hard to find in the big bales, the last three bales I've bought has been very fibrous. It roots roses very well but I'd rather have the finer stuff. I was planning to place an order with BocaBob and try his coir out but my daughter's car broke a ball joint this week and I had to pay out an unexpected $700 in towing and repairs. Maybe later :(

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi,

I got my order on January 13th of this year.

DianaT -- I would not let my comment deter you from buying earthboxes - they are still absolutely great, I have zero regrets and am as happy as can be to have more of them!

Crestview, FL

TPlant, my nails always need cleaning, what's with that? LOL
joy

your must NOT be playing in authentic coco coir, 'cause that's the FIRST thing I noticed. It also has a "sudsy" quality when you rinse your hands. The "no dirt under my fingernails" thing is what really had me raving about it!

Crestview, FL

Gymgirl: With my hands it's hard to tell. LOL I figure if my plants survive the burying of the stems and keep popping up from the grave the next experiment will be putting a portable fan in the inhouse/greenhouse and turning it on, gotta see if they can withstand those hurricane winds come hurricane season, they survive that, they'll be good to go right? Just kidding TPlant. LOL
joy

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Joy on the advice of several knowledgable people, I put up a portable fan in my greenhouse because the seedlings/trays were getting too hot under my lights....(I am using an actual Grow Light and they send out quite a bit of heat vs. the "cool" light that florescent shop lights produce. I placed it where it would blow directly over my seedlings.

It's been said here several times that seedlings that are brushed by hands, etc. grow stronger, so I think it really is beneficial for my babies to blow around a bit too, for strength. Of course I really know nothing, that's just what I'm thinking, LOL!

It is true! The motion makes for stronger stems just as excercise makes for better muscles.

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

joy I seen a drawing on how to make .Plant stand out of PVC .Now I can't find it..I would like to know what the best distance would be between shelves Anyone Know the site.I would appreciate your help

Thanks Tubby

It wouldn't be so bad but I know I saved it..Maybe in cyber space..LOL

Crestview, FL

Tubby: I've saved stuff before and then wonder if it went into cyber space too, as it definately isn't on the computer. LOL I was just joking about what I said, I know that brushing them not only makes the stems stronger but air circulation is also important to ward off dampening off disease. My tomatoes and cucumbers are doing pretty good, my eggplants though, seem to have skinny stems, they are green but them stems are so skinny.
joy

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Tubby: try this one--some good detailed instructions

http://www.tsflowers.com/plantstand.html

I'm been so jealous of everyone in Florida and Texas and watching all of their plant progress. We had snow/ice today (about 19 degrees), so have at least another month before we can start seedlings.
Enjoying learning from everyone, though--lots of good information on this site.

Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

Tubby, is this the one?

http://www.tsflowers.com/plantstand.html

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

mom2goldens..Thank you so much that is just what I was looking for
I know exactly what you mean about being Jealous!!!!!!! It is interesting reading there prgress..But makes you all the more anxious

It wasn't that cold here today just windy high of 30..Very little snow left on the ground Holding my breath but I'm sure it won't last?????

Watching Grease oldie but good Its been along time since we have watched it Makes ya fell younger.LOL

Thanks again
Tubby

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

DianaT Thank You You two are clicking,LOL

Tubby

Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

ROTFL we posted the same link! I didn't even see mom2goldens post, that'll teach me to go so long before refreshing a thread ;-)

But anyway, we won't lose it again will we LOL

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Here's a picture of my Earthbox today

Thumbnail by dorothian
Crestview, FL

Tubby: That is a beautiful thing there. I will have to keep this link for future reference.

Dorothian: Is that maters? Are you growing them outside in Michigan or in Florida?
joy

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Yes, Joy, these are maters and I am growing them outside in Florida. I spend the winter in Florida and look foreward to the fresh fruits and vegetables that we can get here.
This Earthbox is several years old and only gets used in the winter. I have an automatic watering system that keeps it filled with water, so I don't have to think about it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.