Echinacea Cuttings

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I've been experimenting with cuttings of echinaceas. I have found that Pink Double Delight, Razmatazz, and Coconut Lime are easier to propagate for me than the others. I have no idea why, but the cuttings of them perform much better.

I would like to know if any of you have experimented with echinacea propagation. I have done several experiments. I found that stem cuttings can root in water with a bubbler. I use Clonex rooting gel. However, stem cuttings aren't as good as basal cuttings. I wasn't able to get my stem cuttings to grow after rooting them. I even rooted a leaf of one coneflower, but of course, that didn't grow!

I took basal cuttings in Spring from several varieties...After Midnight, Coconut Lime, Razmatazz, and Pink Double Delight all rooted and grew sucessfully.

Please share your experiences with us!

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 9:44 AM

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Interesting thread. I've only recently gotten into stem propagating and have yet to try it with Echinacea. It will definitely been on my list of experiments this summer and if I have any luck I'll be sure to let you know.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 7b)

I would really like to try basal cuttings, but don't have any specialized equipment or area to dedicate to it. Do you think it would work just in the garden if it was wattered carefully? My double delight and coconut lime are newly planted, but full, healthy plants. Do I dare?

You can do it. A lot of times you can get a root on the basal cutting. I root them in a clear plastic tote from Wal-mart with a light on top. I think it will be more difficult outside, especially as hot as it is there.

Next week I'm experimenting with wilt-proof. It's supposed to help.

I'll start a thread about this tomorrow. I have some pics to go with it!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 7b)

Great! If there's an echinacea bug, I've definitely been bitten. What kind of medium do you put them in? I wonder if it would work any better if I put them on the patio. I don't have a light, or a place to put one.

I've had no luck outdoors but you might. LOL.

Ive had good luck with Jiffy seed starter mix.

I'm trying sand now. It's too early to say if this is helping. It looks good though.

Update: Sand didn't work well at all.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 9:45 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.