Iris Seeds

Grantsville, UT(Zone 5a)

I have some Iris seeds that I saved from pods. When is the best time to plant them since I missed the Thanksgiving planting time for the cold they apparently need to properly germinate. Thanks.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

How have you been storing them?

Grantsville, UT(Zone 5a)

There are a lot of the seeds. They were in an air tight glass jar in my unheated garage and in the dark for long periods during the winter. They did not freeze and there was no moisture in the jar and the seeds are dry and they look ok to me.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

If they were at like 34-40 degrees I think if you soak them, changing the water daily for about a week and put them in potting soil (I like miricle grow soil for seeds) cover just barely and keep moist not wet. Put in unheated area that does not freeze and wait.

Some Iris seeds can take up to 2 years to germinate sometimes longer most of mine will show themselves in April. If you could I would still soak them pot them and put them in the ground if it were November or December.

Good luck.

PS remember as spring arrives keep moist not wet. They may be a little delayed

Grantsville, UT(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the advice. I will do just that. I did plant 2 rows today (snow melted) and ground wasn't frozen near the top, covered them lightly and put pine needles over the top. I wanted to see what would happen if I sowed a few now :) Some of my bulbs in my bulb bed are showing signs of life.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.