Let's See Your ARBORS and TRELLISES! Part 2

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

It's on a simple cross-piece trellis that John built. Same as the white one, come to think of it. No doubt it is self-supporting by now!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Your espalliered apples should be shown here, too...the way you did them is really nice.

Here's a pic of the white one - behind you. The trellis for the lutea is similar. The trellis on the wall behind the fountain will probably go away, as we want to move the fountain (ugh!) - possibly into the right-hand corner of the slope beyond the Lady Banks (although I think it would get awfully dirty there). DH wants to kind of build it into the retaining wall he is working on - a really long range project!

Thumbnail by KaperC

Gosh Mike, thanks, but they look pitiful right now - no blooms yet and they are all nekid! This is the only photo I have that sort of shows how they are set up - from 2 years ago. I was actually taking a picture of the pine trees.

DH put up the T supports, then strung wire for support to espalier the trees. The bird netting makes it a little hard to see what's going on. The idea was to make a bit of a fence to close the terrace in a little, but not completely block the rest of the garden. They are pretty well structured now and we're thinking of taking most of the wires out. We'll need the poles for the netting, though, or we will never have any apples, which we love.

Our problem is not knowing how to properly prune them, etc. Everything I read, though, says to just keep trying - as long as you don't chop them off, they'll recover. Someone on DG also said to bag the apples (with baggies!) so the critters don't get them. I might try that this year.

Thumbnail by KaperC
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

tres romantique Jasper dale.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful all. Ric and I just got home from a week at the beach. There is a lot to do around here but my hope is to pick up the lumber for the arbor in the next few days and get started.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

cant wait to see it

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I have finally did a continuence on the arbor that was started ( Moving on from February 21st above) .. This is what I have gotten done since, Didn't work on it for a while as two more raised beds had to be made, Plus other work needed to be done first, But, Did get some done the other day ( Thursday) This photo was taken April 9th .....

This message was edited Apr 11, 2009 10:29 PM

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I couldn't work on it much yesterday-It poured out! But, Got more done today, Dug all the red clay out and starting putting in good dirt, Almost got three quarters of it done here after working on it since about noon time till almost dark! But, It's getting there! The process will continue! ..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Good progress ! I like the way you did the top 2 x 4"s (?) on their sides, instead of on end.

Beautiful dog, too !

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It's just going to be a comanding part of the garden.
Good work.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That looks so great, it will be a real show piece when it's done. Can't wait to see more pictures, later.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

ge1836 and HollyAnnS, Thanks! Will be doing a lot more work on it this week, Will be posting more photos.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Here is Jackmanii clematis with Dream Weaver rose. The clematis just opened this morning for Easter ! LOL

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

close up of same. My clematis pale in comparison to the ones I see on DG but they're better than nothing. lol

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

This is Pat Austin trained as a climber...I thought I'd lost it one year, but it was too shaded so I just let it stretch for the sun and it's turned into a climber. It works, though !

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

different shot

Thumbnail by JasperDale
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Absolutely stunning! Each rose looks like it came from a book. Gorgeous!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Thank you...but I wish my clematis were HALF as good as yours !!!

That blue/pink combo is gorgeous, JD. I just have to see your garden one of these days!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

JD, rose w/ clematis, ahh. Your Jackmanii looks so blue, next to rose. I'm trying to grow mine over a white rose, Ducher, and it is the most stunning purple. I don't have that full look yet that I lust after in the clematis forum

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

It would take all of 3 minutes to see the entire thing !

That rose was a sheer stroke of luck. It just never stops.
No one ever sees this place when it looks good...they always seem to come in between bloom cycles.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Neither do I, Nery. It's really hard to achieve that where I am. This is as close as I think I'll ever get. I have to be satisifed with what I'm able to do, I guess ! lol

There's a lady I know who lives north of me and more inland whose clematis are incredible...and it's only about 10 minutes from me. Her soil is completely different from mine and they absolutely thrive where she is. Her property is on what was once an old riverbed.

Well, if SoCal's social life allows it, maybe we could make a trip over some day soon. You out there, sweet lady?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I think she's at her daughters house today.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I am just checking in after cutting up all my fruit and putting the potato salad in it's travel bowl. We are going to my DD's about 1:30 today.

Kathleen, I'm ready to go see his place again too. When can you come up and when can Mike be home to show it to us? I'm always looking forward to see gardens!!! lol

Happy Easter to all today. We didn't hear the hippity hop during the night as there weren't any little ones at our house. Anyone else hear him? lol

Here are my Italian Easter Cookies I made on Friday. I always make them for my dad and this year I made a double batch for our Easter gathering also. These are like a sweet biscuit with Anise seed in them. They are my dads favorite cookie.

Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Your dad will love them, I'm sure, and he will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

They look wonderful!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Arelene,
Yes, my dad does appreciate when I make them for him. In fact when I took them to him yesterday, when I picked him up, he immediately reached in for one and said thanks.

Happy Easter to you.
Donna

Oh, wow, wish I was there while you were packing up! Yummy...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

JD, What is the variegated plant growing with the Pat Austin? Boogie?
Love your Roses and Clems, mine are just starting to appear. I planted Roses on my split rail fence and one of them is shaded by a near by tree. It certainly isn't the same size as the others, but is holding on.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

JD, It all looks so nice!! Love the Dream Weaver rose and Pat Austin !!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Holly: the variegated plant is Solanum...potato vine. very easy to grow here.

Thanks, Iris. Pat is "floppy" like most Austins, but oh well...

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Mighty pretty floppy though!!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Climbing Polka on a rebar frame. The flowers always face the wrong way ! I should have planted it in a western location, instead of east facing. It's intertwined with Cl. Dublin Bay (next photo )

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Still waiting for them to merge a little bit more.

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hard to see, but Cl.. Pinata just starting to bloom. (Center of photo on arch.) Had to get up high to take pic. since blooms are now all on top of arch.

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

What a gorgeous paradise. Love it!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Cl. Lemon Meringue....not a good rose for a small arbor though...it sends up these long shoots with blooms on the ends...looks kinda dumb, but it's healthy, so I'll leave it. I should have researched it better.

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

different shot of same, from a different angle. Big flower clusters, but too "sputnik like". LOL

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Clytostoma on another arbor just starting. When you run out of room, ya have to go vertical !

Thumbnail by JasperDale

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.