hanging plants question

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hello, we have ordered a rion greenhouse that is tall enough to have hanging plants. My question is this: will I have to put up additional framing to hang pots? I know this is a vague question, I'm just beginning and am so excited my brain is bouncing questions out faster than I can search for answers.

Fulton, MO

One way to consider this is to look at the snow load. If in a certain area the recommended snow load rating is 10 psf, then a GH with a snow load rating of 10 psf probably should have some reinforcement before hanging plants from the roof. OTOH, if your GH is rated for a snow load of 30 psf, you are probably fine hanging plants from the roof. Make sense?

Yes, since my brain is working better tonight, it does make sense. Thank you for the answer.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I've hung plants in my Rion before. I hang them from the hooks used for the wire supports that are in the roof peaks . The only bad thing about it is I hit my head on them as a walk through. This is the only picture I have showing where I hang a plant. This is a starter basket of Wave petunias in early spring '07.

Thumbnail by pastime

Thank you so much for that picture, the sun shining in looks wonderful, I can't wait for our cold weather to break so we can get started putting it together.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Follow the directions, inventory the parts first, and make sure it's built on flat, level ground. You'll have it up in no time. Lots of Rion owners here, don't hesitate to ask for advice if you run into problems.

I'm a bit concerned about the slab it will be on, there is just a bit of slope as it was a dog kennel year ago before we moved here.

Gentry, AR

cathy4 wouldn't worry about the slop as long as it is a level slop. i mean to say a strait top. lay a 2x4 across it on edge and see if you have any gaps if not should be ok. don't have a Rion but have done a lot of building.
'whitebear" a slit slop would be good for drainage.

I understand what you mean, it is a level slab with a slight slope, used exactly for that, good drainage, water doesn't stand on it.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

My cement slab also has a slight slope. It was made for cattle. We placed our GH so the back of the house is on the lower end of the slope. My DH drilled holes in the wood base so water can drain out. I have to poke a stick into the holes sometimes because they can get clogged with debris. Otherwise it's very convenient. I can hose down the whole inside of the GH. The water runs to one end and drains out. Greenhouse all clean.

thanks for the input, I'm feeling better about the slope.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.