What influences your choices of Irises?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello All :)

As for myself, I chose by "what called my name"...lol
Seriously though, I chose by the pic 100% of the time. The only thing I made sure of is that they were all TB's. I figure next year I'll expand into other types.

I noticed in my selections I definately have the entire gamit of variables...from ones that have "unknown" parentage...to pure/limited hybridization (don't know the proper way of putting it right now). Some have a VERY lengthy background too.

What are your particulars you look for when you choose an Iris?

South Hamilton, MA

The lengthly background results from the use of seedlings instead of introduced varieties. Not all plants in a hybridizer's garden are introductions. Hybriders are looking for certain traits & a seedling (under its number) may have what they are looking for. But as a matter of information there is a listing of which plants are in the background.

I think that most people use color for their choice of plants. Last summer a picute of a garden with blue & white TBs was posted & was striking in impact. So color in a bed which goes with the other plants seems to be uppermost in gardners' minds. After awhile, people who grow many iris plants develop a feel for which hybridizers' plants do well for them. When starting out it is good to start with plants from your region as they are used to that climate.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I look at the mix and depth of color. Beard, And amount of bloom since we have such a short season. I also look at ruffling and any unusual features. I find the parantage interesting if you want to breed but not if you just want to enjoy the bloom.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I choose by cover and individual beauty. Some "patterns" have been done over and over and if you have one or two of them, that is all you want. But each year some new hybrids come out which are nothing like anything you have seen before -- those are what I go for -- which is one of the reasons Blyth, Keppel , Black and Tom Johnson come to mind. They are innovators par excellence -- which doesn't mean others aren't as well, but those four seem to have more really different iris.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Good Morning Ladies :)

IrisMA,

Forgive me, but your 1st paragraph made my head hurt...lol
I'm trying to wrap my brain about what you wrote...I read it over several times. I think because I am not familiar with the process, it's not making sense to me right now.
I've grown many plants from seed. I've grown Canna from rhizones. I also hand pollinated our Canna because our Hummingbirds arrived late last year and I wanted some seeds...thankfully, I did ok...lol. I wound up with 35 seeds :)
Anyhoo, could you just explain your 1st sentence a bit for me?

Rebloomnut,

I dream of taking a trip up near you to Glacier National Park! It must be so beautiful up there!!! The closest I came is when we visit DH's Grandfather in Livingston. We go through Wyoming, up through Jackson, through Yellowstone and north that way...
I can't start planting here til the 1st week of May...when do you start?

Pajar,

Yes, I do notice that there are many that are so similar...and I agree about looking for their uniqueness makes it more fun. I think the one I found to be the "coolest"..."most unique" from the ones I chose from Snow Peak's is Intrepid...I just went "WOW!" when I saw it! I also found myself picking ones that were actually hybridized by Johnson and Keppel...I think 3 or 4 between them both. So I totally agree, they do a wonderful job and I'm looking forward to Keppel's catalog :)

This message was edited Feb 9, 2009 10:29 AM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

When you see Keppel's catalog, check out "Adoree" which Blyth named after his mother. It is a wow!

Lebanon, OR

Adoree is just ONE GREAT IRIS. What is coming out of it is also if one can dare to say greater....is that possible, yes it is

D

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I like variety and uniqueness. I grow all bearded classes as well as several types of beardless. I grow all colors and patterns. Of course in my very severe climate and growing conditions, hardiness is a key factor. For that reason, I rarely replace an iris that dies here, no matter how much I like it. It's bad enough to watch a cultivar die once, but watching it die over and over and over is just a waste of resources.

I still grow quite a few TBs and several BBs, though I no longer add any new ones to my collection unless someone gifts them to me. As a general rule, TBs and BBs just aren't tough enough to reliably handle it here, though there are some very hardy TB and BB individuals that keep on ticking in my iris beds year after year.

So my bearded focus is on MDB, SDB, IB, and MTB. The more uniquely colored and patterned, the better.

Laurie

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Paja or D,

Can either of you describe Adoree for me...it'll be another week or so before I get the catalog! This way I can drool with my eyes closed...haha

Hello Laurie,

Wow! You're way up there! Isn't is possible to just dig up the rizones of the ones you really want to have that aren't hardy?...or is it too much trouble?
Well, I guess it wouldn't be very practical...but I figure for a very few of your favs that you really want :)

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

It wouldn't do any good to dig them up because as soon as I disturb the roots, it'll take the plants a year or two after replanting to settle in and reroot before they'll bloom, anyway. So essentially I'd just be keeping non-blooming rhizomes alive.

I have a very strong "survival of the fittest" philosophy where plants are concerned. If a plant can survive and perform in my garden with no heroic measures on my part, it's welcome to stay. If it can't, it's equally welcome to die.

Laurie

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Laurie,

Well, I definately just learned something...
I guess I'm just thinking across the board...so to speak. It's funny how Canna rhyzones can be dug up and rebloom year after year and other ones won't...like Irises.
Thanks for the lesson! Well, I'll definately be finding out which ones will survive here that I ordered soon enough for zone 5. I didn't even bother to check because of my "thinking" that I'd be just digging them up if they weren't hardy enough (talk about feeling...DUH!).
Talk about a learning curve...Good Grief!

I love your "survival of the fittest" way of thinking!!! :)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here is the description of Adoree from the AIS Iris Registration Database:

ADOREE

(Barry Blyth, R. 2006) Sdlg. N276-2. TB, 35" (89 cm), VE-M
S. lilac mauve; F. smooth coffee-rose, slightly lighter area at tangerine orange beard; pronounced sweet fragrance. L280-2: (G75-2: (E99-1: (B132-2: (Holiday Lover x Love Comes) x Bygone Era) x (E158-2: (B202-1: (Affaire x Z55-3: (X108-2, Chocolate Vanilla sib, x X108-10)) x B164-1: (Chocolate Vanilla x Electrique)) x E95-2: (C225-2, Gala Greetings sib, x Yes)) x G63-E, Mandarin Morning sib) x G63-G) X L133-2: (J141-1, Girl Thing sib, x G63-B).

Very nicely written, better than I can do. I thought I had seen a picture of it here in one of these threads, but now I can't find it. I saw the original photo at the AIS convention and was delighted to hear it was being introduced.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

SusanLouise,
Growing irises really isn't difficult except in very cold or very wet climates, especially hot, wet climates. Nevertheless every plant has a few peculiarities and one of the for iris is that they may not bloom the first year after planting. Many do, but some don't. Other than that they are very forgiving growers which is one of the reasons I grow them.
Cannas are different. Since I don't grow them, I can't tell you if they are hard or easy, but I suspect they are somewhat climate dependent as well.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Paja and D,

Thanks for writing the description out for me. D just sent me a pic too...bless you both!
It's a wonderful Iris...absolutely stunning...OH MY!!!!!

Paja,
I'm sure many Canna's are climate dependant...partly the reason why I dig them up. The other reason is because if I didn't year after year, the rhizones would be so big I'd need a mechanical hoe to dig them up!
For example, last year I planted 5 Canna rhizones at about 6-8oz each...
By the end of October when I dug them up, the smallest one weighed 12 lbs...no joke!!!
DH put it on our scale and weighed it!
Another good reason I think to dig the Canna rhizones every year is because if I want to change an area in the garden, it will be much easier that way...again, going to back to using the mechanical hoe...LOL

This message was edited Feb 9, 2009 12:53 PM

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I have a plant book that lists 6 different species and none are hardy colder than "zone 8 to 12".
I have a few each year for contrast with isises and glads and just replace them with new each
year since I have no basement or cellar to store them over winter. They are not frost tolerant
so they can never be allowed to freeze.

They would be well worth saving if they are a special color. I treat my dahlias the same way.
Hardy "zone 8 to 11" but they are somewhat frost tolerant. Nothing like a 10 inch yellow
dahlia blossom to slow traffic in front of your house.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Pic of a 'dinner plate' dahlia nearly 10 inches in diameter taken Oct 21. I had some whites but
the lemon color attracted the most attention.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Dinner plate? Looks like the size of a turkey platter!
What a lovely Dahlia!!! I'd be stopping in front of your house to take pics!!!
Goodness, you could sell tickets to see that one! :)
Thanks for sharing :)

This message was edited Feb 9, 2009 2:11 PM

Cherryvale, KS

Happy Monday BIF's!! I raise a few cannas, we chain saw off the tops, and mulch. We then cover with a plastic. I have Tropicanna and the other striped folige canna. I also have Cleopatra. I've had people actually in my garden and ask "why don't you grow anything but iris". I have day lilly, peonies, hardy hibiscus, hardy geranium, hostas, and 20 other perrenials!!LOL Dee, I have made a list from your web-site!! For shame on you for pandering to my addiction! LOL What is the iris you were talking about with Denim in the name??

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Lebanon, OR

Reckless in Denium, but it is not for sale this year, so far does not like to increase well.

How I pick iris is two ways first the description and the crosses to get it, second the picture as I am truly lucky I get to go every year to Schreiners, Cooleys, Mid America, Keith Keppel (while Barry Blyth is there) and I go several times a year. Once I go to take the pictures of the ones I have bought from them, second the seedlings and third to just see. This year will have to limit MA because of all the hills but that does not mean at all, that I will not be going there.

LOL

Spoiled Yes I am, then this year, I must stay home some as I have several iris that I need to decide for sure if I will be keeping or composting in the seedlings.
d

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

When I first started I was totally a Tall bearded person, then I saw Pug (MTB) at my first convention and boy I fell hard for MTB, on my first show I saw the historic Loralee (SP? Historic) ok historics were added, then as I joined iris groups I saw Firestorm (SDB) WOW! little ones cool. Then I fell in love true and HARD! when I joined Iris Photos and some one posted this posted by Tom Greves. Boy I was hooked and never looked back. I have since added beardless and species as well as some bulb iris but my love are arils and arilbreds
Anita

Thumbnail by avmoran
Lebanon, OR

Anita, that is hardly correct...you are past in LOVE with those Aril/Arilbreds and it still floors me they grow so well for you!

D

South Hamilton, MA

Back to the first sentence: I was trying to explain why some backgrounds of plants seem complicated. If the plant parents are registered varieties the parents can be listed: Puppy X Kitty. If the parents are seedlings only the hybridizer knows, so the parents will be listed: Sdlg.A (Puppy x small puppy x Kitty) X sdlg.B (Kitty x self) so the buyer might realize that it might grow in his/her climate. It is further information besides the color (yellow, orange beards).

Because we are in a cool climate, not as cold as MN, we prefer the medians, dwarfs, MTBs etc. Siberians also do well here. Since there are only iris in the beds, so we can work with them they are not planted for color, although I like to keep plants I am hybriding close to each other so I can reach them when needed.
As indicated cannas would not be hardy here so would have to be dug & stored inside.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Susanlouise Adoree is truly beautiful and different. You would love it. As for MT I have lived here all my life and it can be rugged in the winter but I love it. Glacier Park is a sight to behold. A must is Going to the Sun Highway. You feel so close to heaven there you almost expect to door to open in the sky. Livingston is a nice area also. Have spent a lot of time in that part of the state.
I usually sstart planting mid May depending on the year.

Can a person just plant the less hardy Iris in the large pot thta would be moved to a more protected place for the winter???

This message was edited Feb 9, 2009 3:58 PM

This message was edited Feb 9, 2009 3:58 PM

Hebron, KY

I haven't received my Keppel catalog yet. Can someone post a pic of 'Adoree'? I'm so intrigued!

Susan,

I don't have alot of space to devote for Irises. I just pick some by colors (love the blue ones and pink ones).

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Ditto, Marilynbeth. When it jumps off the page I buy it.

Lebanon, OR

Adoree
and I wish it was better, as it is a to die for iris

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello D,

Glad you posted it here...it is stunning!!!
May I ask...what is the cost of this beauty?
I have to wait another few days for my catalog...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

According to my catalog, it is $60. Of course, it will be less next year and less yet the year after. Buying iris when the first come out is very expensive.

Hebron, KY

Thanks Denise for posting that pic of Adoree! It's gorgeous! I love it!!! It's sure is "I gotta have it" Iris! Would love to buy it! Keith Keppel has it for sale in his catalog?

I wonder if Mid America is going to offer it this year? Can't wait til they're online for 2009 and I get their catalog too!

Marilyn

South Hamilton, MA

Keppel sale only as it is a new intro by Barry Blyth & they often work together.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Laurie,

I agree with you about the TBI surviving cold and harsh weather. We have very harsh weather at times and those that do live to bloom year after year are so beautiful. We have purshased more than 110 different TBI plants in the past 15 years, almost 99% are from Cooley's Iris Gardens in OR. There are probably only 75-80 still alive and thriving. As many years as we've raised iris, it still floors me that there are so many named varities out there!

My DH was born in MN, moved to CA with parents when 10 years old, said he never wanted to see snow again. We moved from AZ to WA and back to the high country of AZ. Now he loves using the snowblower. I guess your dislikes and like change as you grow older. LOL

Adobe Rose

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Adobe Rose is really beautiful.

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

Adoree is not for sale this year at Mid-America.
Received my catalog today!

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Keppel has it.

Waxhaw, NC

I tend to buy rebloomers, the second bloom is a great pleasure in the late summer.

South Hamilton, MA

I go for plants which might be useful in hybridizing.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

This is silly, but my favorite ones are tall. In the TBs, Japanese and siberians, I like the really tall ones.

We took our cat to the vet one time when his irises were in bloom, and they were so tall and huge. They just stood right out. I asked how he grew them so tall, and he told me he just bought the tall ones. I really think it might be a combo of that and a little (or a lot of) p__ going on, but I really liked how they stood out.

Otherwise in bearded I love the clear, jewel tone colors.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I like the bicolors, and especially the ones that are bright,and glow.

Sometimes you can see a picture, and fall in love with an iris, only to be disappointed when you see it in person, so relying on photos is something I try not to do. Plantfiles is great, because usually there are more than one picture of the plant/flower and you can get a better idea of what different climates, soil conditions, lighting, etc. will do for the flower. But, still pictures can be deceiving.

I think going to an iris farm, and seeing them in person, and buying in person, has got to be the very best way to buy iris, but no such place exists near me...

The way an iris looks is pretty important, but I've also started to really consider: does it REBLOOM? Is it FRAGRANT?

If you find one you think is pretty, AND it is fragrant, AND it reblooms, you have a real winner.

Personally, I'd rather have a mass of one really pretty, reblooming, and fragrant iris, than a variety of smaller clumps of different ones that don't rebloom, or are not fragrant...

...just my two cents :0)

and as for height, I usually prefer the shorter BBs and SDBs, to the TBs.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2009 6:09 AM

South Hamilton, MA

As a person who prefers the shorter iris plants (even siberians) I go for them first. I also prefer that type because they are the ones we hybridize. Since I have lost a couple of ", now 5' 1" they are more on eye level. DH likes I. verna which is a short native of southeastern US. We are north of its range so really have to work with them as to hardiness. For shady spots we like I. cristata another short, US native.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Lucy, I'm 5'8", so that must be what does it.

seedpicker, I love the little medians, too.

Here's a tall JI I really like, Dino, it's registered at 6', but only gets a lttle over 5' for us.

Thumbnail by pollyk

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.